PDA

View Full Version : Still worrying about Bowel Cancer

Rootytooty
27-11-08, 08:07
Hello again,

Tomorrow is the day when I get the results of my Barium Enema, and I am really scared!

although I have been managing to keep my anxiety under control, I am still experiencing loose BM's, which makes me think it must be something other than the anxiety. Now it is getting near I am really scared that they will tell me I have got cancer.

I have been really trying hard, eating lots of fibre, fruit and vegetables. This has helped alleviate the piles (a bit), but I keep thinking they are just a symptom of something much worse.

I keep thinking that today is the last day of normal life, and tomorrow will be the beginning of the end. Even if it isn't bowel cancer, I still have the gyno consultation to worry about. I haven't even had an appointment for that.

Why can't I ever look on the bright side?

Trixie
27-11-08, 08:50
They are NOT going to tell you that you have cancer, they may tell you that you have IBS or diverticular disease BUT they are NOT going to tell you that you have cancer.

They may tell you that your bowel itself perfectly OK but the diarrhoea is caused by your anxiety.:)

Rootytooty
27-11-08, 09:26
Thanks Trixie, you have made me feel loads better. I really appreciate it.

Made myself feel worse earlier today reading the BBC report about processed meats. Then I start obsessing - have I eaten too much bacon in the past?, and its like a spiral down.

I must try to get things in proportion -

blood tests were normal
FOB - normal
I haven't really lost loads of weight ( a little bit, but that is the anxiety)
No visible blood in stools (even with piles).

Thanks again

PhoenixGrey
27-11-08, 10:08
I have had diarrheoa (TMI!) for... 2 months now? I've had 4 blood tests (including a FBC repeated 3 weeks later) and a stool test, nothing. I really wouldn't worry about it - I've eaten starch, I've eaten veg - Its nothing but the stress thats causing it.

One thing i've learnt from all this is that the human body is crrraaazy.

Don't worry about it, it'll only get worse, causing the worry to get worse :)

Rootytooty
27-11-08, 10:34
Hi Laura

thanks for your reply. It is reassuring when other people have similar things.

The thing is that I thought I wasn't worrying - but I suppose it is relative. I started out in a real panic some weeks ago - I couldn't eat, crying all the time, I kept shaking, I couldn't breath, pain under ribs, frequent urination - the works.

I had some diazapam which I took for a few days, and then I switched to Kalms, as I didn't want to become dependent.

I felt much better, and so I thought I was not anxious anymore. But I do think about it, especially when I first wake up.

I am also a bit obsessed - worry if I have a BM, worry if I don't have a BM. I even worry that I am not worrying enough, and I will be punished. As if I deserve to get the big C.

I do wonder if I may be depressed. Can you have anxiety AND depression?

PhoenixGrey
27-11-08, 18:24
You've just described precisely me over the last 2 months - crying, shaking, chest pain, backache, diarrheoa, hyperventilating...

Doc has said i'm depressed, but becuase I was distraught all the time I became anxious looking for explanations for my distress.

Anxiety and depression are very closely related - I am far less anxious as I am depressed, but it can go full circle.

Hope things keep getting better :)

jkse
27-11-08, 19:27
i have also been going through these health anxities for the last 2- 3 weeks or so, which did make me really depressed, and my bowels have been irregular for months now with the stress of school along with my anxities, but all of a sudden i have just started feeling abit better, i know this all sounds cliche, but you have to keep yourslef busy and not think about this ( i know its easier said than done) , but you really need to try, i also find it comforting talking to my momm dad or a close friend about all of this (anyone close in your life) its really amzing how much better they can make you feel and reassure you nothing is wrong, it's just comforting knowing somone close in your life is routing for you, it gives me even more motivation not to go back down in the dark place, also going on this forum has done wonders, i'm not saying all the problomes will go away because i still do worry about random health problomes but it will get better ( sorry about the length i got carried away)

Rootytooty
28-11-08, 08:16
Well, today's the day. In one hour I will be at the surgery getting my results.

I am soo scared.

today also have pain in lower right abdomen, just above pubic area. Sigh, there is always something isn't there? Still have to worry about gynae referrral (whenever that might be).

Anyway, thanks to all for all your encouragement, it really does help.

Rootytooty
28-11-08, 10:14
Back from Drs.

Good news (and it really is ggod news) Barium Enema showed eveythin perfectly normal in Colon & Rectum.

However, my elation was short lived because, as I have mentioned in other threads my well woman dr has referred me to a gynae because I have mid cycle bleeding, which she says is not normal.

Decided to ask regular Dr if he thought it could be normal, and he said no as well!!!!! I wa shoping he would say "yes, it can be"

Added to that he told me that the referral appointment would take about 6 - 8 weeks to come through. I told him I didn't think I could cope with that in my present state of mind, so he prescribed me some
Citalopram, which may take 4 weeks to have an effect.

Why do I torture myself like this? :weep:

amu
28-11-08, 11:08
Hi

first of all, congratulations for the results, now you should forget about bowel cancer for at least five years, by which you will be hopefully cured of your anxiety!!:hugs: You do NOT have a gynae cancer either, millions of women have mid-cycle bleeding, it's a minor symptom, which, to be safe, should be investigated - so what?? Most often (and this is according to my mum's gyneacologist and not according to internet resources), the reason behind it is hormonal, and it can have tons of other perfectly curable reasons. Try to relax!:shades:

Amu

Rootytooty
28-11-08, 11:19
Hello amu,

Of course you are right. I seem to have a filter on anything positive. The Dr did say when these type of referrals happen 98% come back as nothing to worry about - but of course with HA it is difficult not to imagine yourself in the 2%!!!

Re the bowel cancer, I feel like I have been given a second chance! Over the last 6 weeks I have really improved my diet, tried to get a bit more active (difficult as I do a desk job, but I am slowly getting more excercise into my day). So I plan to keep all of that up. I've even given up coffee in favour of camomile and red bush tea.

Also, if it was something sinister, I suppose they would have me on an urgent referral?

The one thing now, is that at the moment, I am too scared to have sex with my husband, in case I do bleed, and send myself into a major panic. Six to Eight weeks - what will I tell him??:scared15:

Thank you for your support, I REALLY appreciate it.

Trixie
28-11-08, 16:48
There we are I told you it would be OK now forget about your bowels.

RE the gynae appointment as you said they wouldn't keep you hanging on if they thought it was anything serious.

Well done you.:flowers:

Worrychick
20-05-13, 22:28
Could also be anxiety; my friend has had it twice through anxiety for several months each time. x Try not to panic xxx