PDA

View Full Version : Help needed regarding sleepiness!

Nicomi
27-11-08, 10:32
Hi Everyone

I started on Venlaflexine about 8 weeks ago. Started on 37.5mg then moved to 75mg. Nausea and everything has settled apart from the very shaky hands, I feel much calmer and any anxiety is in the background, almost like it's happening to someone else.
The only thing is I am exhausted and really sleepy all the time, I even fell asleep at my desk this week - it didn't go down well:blush: Lots of people keep commenting on how I look so tired. My kids love it because on the days I collect them from school we snuggle on the sofa watching TV and I have a little sleep, they normally have to wake me to make their dinner - not ideal but they're happy:yesyes: A couple of times I've felt I shouldn't be driving I am so sleepy. I sleep OK at night, not brilliantly and sometimes my son wakes me beacuse he has nightmares, my husband usually gets up to him. I usually manage to sleep to around 5am then the brain starts and that's it.

Has anyone else had problems like this? I hate keep going to the doctors but am worried about this carrying on for too long. I have no energy. 3 months ago I ran a half marathon, I couldn't run to catch the bus at the moment. I look terrible, feel terrible and just want to go back to bed!

HELP ME!!!

mothermac
28-11-08, 04:55
I am glad you are feeling much more calmer anxiety wise anyway but I know where you are coming from with feeling sleepy.It sounds like you are having maybe some side effects from the tablets you are on,I would perhaps have a talk to the gp about it as you may get a lower dose or something.
I suffer from anxiety as well and don't take anything like anti depressents partly because I am frightened to take them(pathetic I know).I do take beta blockers though and they make me feel tired a lot of the time. The mental issues of living with this problem tires the brain anyway as it is constantly thinking,fretting,worrying etc and I suppose this in turn adds to the fatigue.
Maybe the doc could do some bloods as well as Anemia can make you feel spaced out as well.just a thought.
I wouldn't worry about it too much though as the more you worry the worse it will get,I went through a period of not sleeping a few months ago and I was like the living dead(lol) I had about 2 hrs a night and was constntly on the computer in the early hours on here or googling my symptoms it was mad.I went to the gp and he gave me sleeping tabs but as usual I was to scared to take them.I am much better now but still have broken nights but I accept it now and just get up and read,watch tv or put the radio on low,it's much better when I don't fight it too much.I do think that you should seek some form of help though as if you are feeling tired when driving then that's not good and you should address the meds you are on.Hope you are soon feeling better and take care. xxxxx

Alex Taylor
29-11-08, 22:33
Were you having problems with tiredness before you started taking the medication, or only since? If it's the pills causing the tiredness, have you tried playing around with the time you take them?

Maybe take them at bedtime, and if you're still having problems the following day, start taking then slightly earlier each night.

Perhaps you'll find that "sweet" spot where you have that energy dip[ during your normal sleep hours!