PDA

View Full Version : hey

kid a
19-06-05, 00:38
Hey folks,

I'm a 27 year old lad. I had a few problems at university, namely at the end of the 2nd year, I was getting very stressed out, lack of money, hanging with the wrong people and yearning security, on trying to go back to the third year, I moved into my house and got really low, sleeping till 4, confused and unable to function.

Luckily, my folks came and rescued me and I spent a long time at home recovering. My recovery was slow and was initiated by stopping hanging with the wrong crowd as it were, looking after my health, and in 2002 i finished my degree from home.

Since then, I've had a great job, mates and although anxious in certain circumstances, have learnt to cope. That is, until Apirl of this year when it has all got too much again. I feel like a fish out of water and am frustrated that I am back in this state.

I had quit my job to move to the city where I had a transfer with work. The place I was going to had lots of support for me but I got flu and then missed out on a great place to live and so decided to work here for a bit. Looking back, I put myself under immense stress for 6 months and then in April, it just got too much and the feelings I had before resurfaced, just unable to cope.

I'm not sure how to describe it but I went from being stressed out to within a couple of weeks, really worried and frightened about my life and where it was going. At the start of April, I started to cancel plans I had made for the summer as I couldnt see I would be able to do anything and unfortunately, I was right.

I have a lot of support here which is great and coming to this site has made me feel a lot better. Sorry for the ramble, I probably haven't really explained anything very well!.

cheers for reading anyway

KID A

Meg
19-06-05, 01:08
Hi Kid A,

You are not alone in developing fear very quickly.

What is your current level of activity, are you back at home, what part are you finding hardest to cope with etc

First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/symptoms.htm

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

kid a
19-06-05, 01:28
No activity at all really. I've kinda let it slip, I'm back at home with the folks but have got locked in a cycle of not sleeping, worrying. Thankfully my folks are great and are really helping me and I've quit smoking and am eating well and stuff but I'm kinda crippled with fear.

I'm actually in a much better position than i've ever been, having a glowing reference from my last workplace, savings, a new car etc but in my self, i'm a mess, worried about not having my own space, not being able to get another job.

It hasn't helped that my best mate moved away last month. At the moment, I'm finding it very hard to cope with the though of where i'll be in six months - a year, i guess i really need some security. It's pathetic but very silly small things are bugging me; i kinda did a life laundry last year and chucked out stuff i didnt use, old stuff and at the time it felt good but now it feels as if those things were part of what made me feel secure.

hey ho

chucklehound
19-06-05, 10:01
Hi kid a,
Welcome to the site.

All the best

Feel free pm me if you want to chat

steno -x-

seh1980
19-06-05, 10:37
Welcome aboard Kid A!! :D

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

Meg
19-06-05, 11:27
Hi Kid A,

Good for you for recognising that you've got loads in your favour.

Think a bit of accepting how you are today is in need here and working on helping yourself today rather than projecting forwards 6 months. The 'What if' are ineveitable but by doing something positive each day to help yourself move towards it and seeing some progress you can tell yourself that the future is bright.

Sounds like you need a focus and to grow your social life at present and start building a solid platform for yourself.

I haven't got a handle on where you're at. Clinging to the sofa, going out and about or not , able to function relatively easily, what help you're getting etc.

Meg

Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

henri
19-06-05, 11:59
Hi Kid A (great name, by the way!)

Sounds like you've been doing a lot of what i've been doing - spending years and years worrying about what's going to happen, without ever actually enjoying the present moment. I figure there's no point worrying about the future as we can't control it - if bad things come my way then i'll just have to deal with them as and when they come along.
It's so difficult not to worry about the future but it's important to try and not think about it in a negative light. You have listed so many great things that you've got going for you, try and focus on those.
take care,
henri x

florence
19-06-05, 12:14
Hi kid a

Welcome to the site :).
Great support here and great people! [^]

Florence.

**Don't believe everything you think .**

alexis
19-06-05, 14:18
Hi Kid A, have you seen a gp, are you on any medication, I think you need to plan for today. I tried to plan for months ahead and it made me feel worse.
I like to know i always have something in my diary but I dont think about it until right near the time, sometimes it is a struggle to get through a day without worrying about 6 months down the line.
Often small things bug me too, and the big things dont seem to matter,
anyway welcome to the site, |Im sure youll get lots of useful advice, Love Alexis,x

kid a
19-06-05, 14:58
hey thanks for all the replies, wasn't really expecting anything more than the odd hello, great stuff.

I suppose where I'm at at the moment is getting up and just hanging round the house, going out very infrequently and just waiting to feel better i guess. I know this isn't the best thing to do.

The best way I can describe it is that I feel as if someone has put me in a taxi and dropped me off miles from home and said "right, bye then" and im stuck not knowing where to go or what to do. Ridiculous i know.

You guys are right in the fact that i should look at the situation as it is now and what i can start to change. henri - your words ring very true to me.

kid a
19-06-05, 15:16
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">
I haven't got a handle on where you're at. Clinging to the sofa, going out and about or not , able to function relatively easily, what help you're getting etc.

<div align="right">Originally posted by Meg - 19 June 2005 : 11:27:36</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

I'm not clinging to the sofa, but i am spending a lot of my time worrying about how i got here and why im feeling like this, and i guess more significantly, how i can cope with it in the future.
When I need to go out, like to get a haircut, get some groceries whatever, I am actually okay. This is gonna sound weird but last week I went out a got my haircut, had a good chat with the girl, i was okay and afterwards, i was arrrrggh, what now?

At present not getting any help, gonna go see GP next week but I don't want to take medication. My social life is strange because all of my mates are now living away and so it is usually see them once a month in one of their home towns and see my best mate down here once a week but now he's gone and I didnt go to the last meet up with everyone cos i was feeling really anxious.

When I was working, this wasn't ideal but it was okay and one of the reasons to move away was to get a bit more integrated with people.

Meg
19-06-05, 15:23
Hi Kid A,

There are lots of message boards that heavily support inertia, we like to encourage progress whilst supporting peoples own timelines and individual progress patterns...

**I'm at at the moment is getting up and just hanging round the house, going out very infrequently and just waiting to feel better i guess.**

Unfortunately , you're right in that it's not the best thing to do to help yourself - it may or may not happen without any effort and will depend on self esteem and external encouragement and if will be very time consuming..

Its good to do something each day to help yourself - be it some reading, exercise, relaxation,distraction, writing etc as mentioned in the post above.

If you're able to something for others occassionally to help you meet one of our human needs of feeling useful to someone else.

Volunteering ... (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3767)

Its not ridiculous feeling lost and aimless - I've certainly been there and its a tough place to get out of.

Meg

kairen
19-06-05, 20:53
Hi Kid A

welcome to the site,
we are all here to help each other
and its a great to seeing your not alone
take care and try not to think to far ahead just one day at a time

kairen x

kid a
19-06-05, 22:24
Thankyou Kairen.

pinkscrumpy
20-06-05, 20:03
Hi Kid A

Welcome to the site. Hope you find us all friendly and helpful[^]

MANDIE XX

jill
20-06-05, 20:08
Hi Kid a,

Welcome to the site,

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXXX

kid a
20-06-05, 20:14
Thankyou pink and ta Jill

nomorepanic
25-06-05, 16:41
Kid

We met in chat the week before last so lovely to see you on here.

Welcome aboard!

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"