PDA

View Full Version : Seem to be having a relapse...help!

rocklover
27-11-08, 19:05
I have had anxiety through most of my adult life, but coped well, then had a bit of a breakdown in September and had to give my new job up as was signed off work. My main symptoms were severe nausea 24/7, lack of concentration, electricity feeling up and down my arms, extreme feeling of agitation and fear. This was not helped by being emetephobic. After trying some meds that made me worse decided to go it alone and I did, one day i just woke up feeling fine and all was amazing for around 3 weeks.

Then I went on holiday to Florida, was really looking forward to it, but it turned into a real ordeal for me. I suffered badly with panic, nausea and IBS practically every day, although I forced myself to the theme parks for my daughters sake and managed to have a bit of fun in the process.

My real problem is that since we have been back home (Tues) I have started to regress back to where I was, not as bad, but on the slippery slope. I am beginning to feel sick again every day, I am having feelings of fleeting panic, even though I have no reasons to worry, I haven't gone into a full attack yet, but I feel that one could happen at any time. I am trying to do as I did before and make myself go out no matter how bad I feel, but, not sure what else I can do. I am so terrified of going back to where I was in September, it's really freaking me out. Has anyone else experienced a relapse and how did you work through it? Sorry this is soooo long!

lucy030188
28-11-08, 17:30
I can relate entirely!

Ever since my nan had a stroke infront of me 3 months ago I have felt constantly sick every day (worse in the morning or when i go out)....from this i have developed emetophobia and so the anxiety is worsened because even if i dont feel sick, i fear it!

All i would say is that u have luckily conquered it before, and therefore you can do so again! You need to keep drumming in your head that the sickness is just a sensation and try and forget it...and it eases! I wish i could take some of my own advice but it is so hard to put into practise!

PM if you'd like...i really understand where you are coming from!
Take care
Lucy x

staple
28-11-08, 18:27
Hi there
I've had some relapse and its like its par for the course but it dosent seem to be like the first one which really frightened me its like I have never gone back to where i started from although its still very uncomfortable when it happens but it does pass
Michael

Diane O'Brien
28-11-08, 20:09
Hi there

I to had to give my job up in Sebtember due to anxiety. It is horrible, a awful feeling I know. I am feeling better though it does take time. It sounds like the trip to Florida triggered it all of again.

Well done for going outside, I,m wishing things will get better for you I'm sure they will, have you spoken to your doctor again, I know you said meds didn,t work last time but perhaps some relaxation classes or therapy may help with the anxiety.

Take Carexxx

rocklover
28-11-08, 21:56
Thanks for all your replies. I am on the waiting list for counselling, which I hope will give me stronger coping strategies. I am coping at the moment, although the nausea is increasing when I leave the house, but I just push through it. Today I went to visit my Auntie with my daughter, went to Mcdonalds, to a friend's house with my sis to give her presents we bought her from Florida, then I went to Halfords to order a bike for my daughter, popped into B & Q, then I went into town to pick up a chinese takeaway.

Looking at it written down that seems alot, and although I felt sick and a little panicky through all of it, I know that back in Sept I just couldn't have done anywhere near half of that, so I have to congratulate myself for doing it. I guess I just need to forge ahead. I have to visit my boyfriend tomorrow night and that's a 45min drive up the motorway, so that's a toughie when I feel sick, but I know I'll do it no matter what cos I love being with him. He can't really come to me as I am living with my parents at the moment due to being totally skint as I am getting divorced. Gosh I have written so much, this site is wonderful, I think that all of us on here are pretty amazing coping with this crappy disease that can make every day a battle. Yay for us!!

allmixedup
29-11-08, 19:30
Everyones story is long its okay that is the process to let it all out. Ok here is your advice from me. I have relapsed with anxiety numerous of times, youhave to replece with strength and it is awesome you are forcing yourself to have a good time and get out because we all know the distraction is the best medicine. Your illness sounds like it is trying to keep you home kind of subconciously saying you need to rest maybe you have over exerted your mind and body and you need to rest. Take an ibuprofen 800 or open a bottle of wine and hit the pillows rest your mind.... just a suggestion :) Peace.

rocklover
30-11-08, 13:16
Maybe I do need to rest, but with a small child and worrying about having no money for Christmas, it's going to be hard to avoid stress. I went into town today with my daughter's father to get some pressies for her, it was really hard. Not only did it highlight how broke I am, I also started to panic (not that anyone would have known), immediately had stomachache and nausea and it just got worse as I walked around town.

I managed just over an hour, luckily he wanted to go home too. It is really getting me down as I felt very sick last night when I went to visit my boyfriend. I was ok and didn't panic, but still, I am fed up with feeling ill whenever I have to do something. I really must get a job in January and I have to be ok for then. I am also panicking that I took one of my contraceptive pills too late the night I flew home from Florida, so I am terrified I am pregnant. I seem to be panicking at just about everything, even thinking that my boyfriend will end our relationship, even though he has not given indications that he doesn't want to be with me.

I am fully aware that the anxiety is fuelling all these thoughts and feelings, so I am trying hard to breathe and push the thoughts away. I am determined not to go right back to the hole I was in before. I can't be there again!! Sorry for rambling on, just needed to vent.