PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram or Flouxetine

OldChris
27-11-08, 19:24
Some advice please - my doctor wants to change me from Flouxetine to Citalopram - he says that my creeping up levels of anxiety will be helped by Citalopram as Flouxetine is more of an anti depressant whilst Citalopram is better with anxiety.

What do others think?
Has anyone else made this move - what can i expect - would you do it again?

Chris

velveteen
27-11-08, 20:17
Hi chris. I have been on citalopram for a few years, the benefits were posative for me, but am now reducing them, and the withdrawl is terrible.
Im also reducing my mirtazopine, so the 2 together are really difficult to kick. I always found them to be the best anti ds ive had. give them a try, see how you do.
Good luck. V

bubblefizz
28-11-08, 09:16
Some advice please - my doctor wants to change me from Flouxetine to Citalopram - he says that my creeping up levels of anxiety will be helped by Citalopram as Flouxetine is more of an anti depressant whilst Citalopram is better with anxiety.

What do others think?
Has anyone else made this move - what can i expect - would you do it again?

Chris

hya chris i am on flouxetine at the moment im down to 5ml
the docs have changed me to citalopram yesterday. ive to wean off the floux then increase the citalopram ive to take 4drops daily

ditsy
02-12-08, 15:43
Hi
One of my friend in the Medical profession told me the same. Flouxetine doesn't work so well as citalopram when it comes to anxiety and panic attacks. It's more for depression. Apparently Citalolpram is a good all rounder for many health problems. That's why it tends to be prescribed to so many people compared to other AD's.
:)

Ell88
05-12-08, 00:23
Hi Chris, i made the same move, going from flouxetine to citalopram, and i know its different for each individual but they helped my anxiety alot. it made a big change whereas as the flouxetine did nothing for me. i used to get quite panicky at night when i had time to think about things. but gradually my anxiety subsided. im still on citalopram 40mg and tbh i dont really suffer with the anxiety side of my depression that much anymore, it was a defiante help. i would definately try them out, its a case of finding what right for you, gd luck mate, Ell

strass
05-12-08, 10:59
Hi there Chris,
I was on fluoxitine for many years until I had a really bad anxiety episode last year. My GP prescribed Citalopram for me and I must admit when I first started to take them I felt very rough, but it only lasts about 2 weeks.
Citalopram definately worked for me and although I know I'll never be fully free from anxiety and depression, I am holding down my job and coping much better.
Go for it Chris. Trust your doctor and I hope you feel better soon