PDA

View Full Version : how long on meds? working on meds?

LisaS
19-06-05, 16:40
hiya,
Just wondered how long you were on meds for if you've come off? they say 6-12 months for first time anxiety/mild depression - is that right? do you just come off when you are feeling strong enough in yourself? obviously with gp's advice.
I was on prozac for 2 months and been on effexor 2 months so is that 4 months or just 2 months!?!
Also, another question sorry - have you all been ok working full time whilst taking your meds!?

thanks,

lisa
xxx

"do not fear to hope...Each time we smell the autumn's dying scent, we know that primrose time will come again"

alexis
19-06-05, 17:23
My GP told me I would be need to be on medication for 6 months after I felt well, I was on citaloprim for 5 months and convinced myself I had to be OK because that was how you felt on meds??!!
After finally admitting I felt awful I had my medication changed and have now started to have good days, and weeks even although I do still blip. I have been on the others for about 4 months.
I have continued to work, occassionally leaving early on bad days. I have only lost 4days due to this but that is because of the support I receive from my boss and friend at work.I am able to be flexible to a certain extent, also I work school hours so my days are quite short.
Obviously every case is different but I thought I would put mine forward.
Hope this helps Love Alexis,xx

kairen
19-06-05, 21:12
i was on citrolapram for about a year last time and i just felt i was ready to face things and felt strong enough to cope with life, i have been off meds for four months now and with a lot of help from this site i feel really good i do have the odd bad day but not that i feel i cant cope having the support of the peopl on here has been a great help to me and i have made some really good friends too,

good luck and take care

kairen x

seh1980
19-06-05, 22:37
I was on Cipralex for 13 months and my GP made me come off. I didn't feel ready yet but he insisted. To be honest, I am now glad that I did 80% of the time. It's easier to control anxiety when on meds but now that I am off them, I am having to deal with the anxiety by myself and have learnt so much more about it this way. I think that 6 months is too short a time for the meds to have a real effect but after 12 months, think that you should think about coming off. There are obviously people though who have anxiety much worse than others and should maybe be on for longer..:D

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal