PDA

View Full Version : Panic attacks and existensial crises. Connection ?

sabotage
29-11-08, 02:56
I was wondering if you could expirience a panic attack after certain thoughts or something.

Iam not really afraid of dieng because i understand the inevitability of it.
But maybe it still is a heavy burden for modern world person who is only 20 years old so far ?

gtrgrl3369
29-11-08, 15:05
It can cause anxiety if the thought is fearful enough for you. For most people fear is what leads their anxiety and when you add intrusive thoughts into the mix, things that they have never had thoughts of before, such as harming a loved one or suicide it can lead to anxiety and panic attacks.

Nechtan
30-11-08, 18:10
Very much so. It is our own mortality that is the cause of most panic. Not always of dying but the fear something bad is going to happen to us. When we experience the symptoms of panic if we did not care for our own mortality then it would not lead to panic attack. It is all in our reaction. So I agree that fear results these kind of thoughts.

All the best

Nechtan

AntiLove_SuperStar
30-11-08, 22:39
Are you kidding? I've had several after realisations like "I Will Die! ARGHHH!".

This might be a little off topic, but I suspect more people in recent generations suffer existentialism now religion has...well no it hasn't GONE, at all, in fact Christianity is on the rise in America etc etc, but on the whole the West is much more secular, emphasis is on evolution and the idea of "living in the now".

Which is great for "rational thought", but it does leave us with the exposed truth of death, I guess. Wonder if I can find any research on it.