PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone had Laryngitis?

PhoenixGrey
29-11-08, 12:23
For a few weeks Ive been feeling like I need to cough up something, it has combined with a feeling of a croaky voice - although it doesnt always sound croaky, but it always feels like it sounds strange!

Now i've googled, and I am fairly confident its nothing serious (ie. Oesophageal cancer or Laryngeal cancer) but it's doing my head in.

Has anyone had Laryngitis? Does this sound like laryngitis?

I want to avoid docs as I have an appointment in a few weeks and I don't want to take any more of their time, but I'm scared and don't want to freak myself out - my depression is giving me enough issues!

Jan63
29-11-08, 12:31
I had Laryngitis once years ago and from what I remember my voice went completely for a few days and it didn't hurt at all. Do you suffer from acid reflux because this can make your voice croaky?

belle
29-11-08, 12:32
I have had laryngitis several times.
It started (everytime) with a really scratchy feeling in my throat and to the stop the scratching i remember having to drink, a lot of water. Also i had dry cough (no phlegm) because of the scratchiness, the need to keep clearing my throat was all the time.

After a couple of days with those symptoms came the absolute NO voice, it was more of a whisper. Then when it started come back it wasn't croaky, it was coming out kind of squeeky one second and all deep and growly the next.

I was over it within 7 - 10 days.

PhoenixGrey
29-11-08, 12:35
I have no idea if I suffer from acid reflux, It does sound like laryngitis, but if it was dragged out over a long time, my throat doesnt hurt - its just really irritating, and has the ability to be kinda worrying because its been happening for so long!

Jan63
29-11-08, 13:44
Do you ever get a burning feeling in your chest or throat or maybe indigestion?

PhoenixGrey
29-11-08, 16:17
Sometimes, Ive had some chest pain - but the doc checked it out and put it down to stress, I do get some burning in my throat but not all the time. This is soooo baffling!

Jan63
29-11-08, 16:24
Yes the same with me - it's not there all the time but just sometimes but it does tend to make your voice a bit croaky. I also got chest pain and a feeling something was stuck and also pains in my upper back too which were all down to acid reflux or GERD.:shrug: