PDA

View Full Version : Physical symptoms better... Sleep better...

Gareth
20-06-05, 12:35
Hi all,

I felt like it was important for me to acknowledge something good that seems to be happening... I am finding that my physical symptoms are definitely on the wane and have been for a couple of weeks.

For those not familiar with me, I am a fairly recent GAD sufferer (started in March), and alongside the constant tension/worry/racing mind symptoms, the worst part for me has been horrible symptoms in my head - pressure in my head, full ears, a feeling of tightness on the brain.

Well - I haven't had really bad symptoms like that for a couple of weeks and I feel confident enough to admit it to myself and to the world now! I am also finding my sleep is much better (helped by Valerian I think). I am going to sleep at night OK and sleeping through all the way to about 5:30 / 6:00 most days.

BUT I am struggling with emotions now instead! My mood is up and down all the time and I still have a racing mind and am still "aware" of the anxiety all the time, but I am determined to see the past 3 weeks or so as progress. I reckon that perhaps the emotions are the REAL work that needs to be done, and hopefully I am starting that now. The physical symptoms were just a distraction and now I am past them I can really get to work on the root causes of all this.

I figure - if I see it as progress, it will be!

all the best,
Gareth

*** I think, therefore I'm anxious ***

angieb
20-06-05, 12:43
Gareth - well done you. I too have been suffering since Feb/March and it is a long haul!

I remember the head pressure stage, awful and scary and I agree, sleep and rest is a major part of the road to recovery.

Try not to over-analyse now though just accept that you are beginning to feel better. I read that the type of person who constantly needs to know all of the answers (something I certainly did in life) will be a prime candidate for GAD! From personal experience, letting go of the "what ifs" has been probably the most significant part of my healing.

Take care and keep up teh great work though.

Angie x

Meg
20-06-05, 13:22
Gareth,

Congratulations indeed !!

Please do see this as a major step and distinct progress. When you're wrapped up solely in symptoms its very hard to even consider that the root cause is elsewhere..

It is totally normal for your mood to be swinging and to feel very up and down. As a human we have something like 38 emotions and we can use all of them and indeed we will all come across various scenarios in our lives where each are appropriate.

Do not mistake despondency, indesisiveness or sadness for depression.

You're pleased that you're feeling better, yet it brings a whole new set of worries, its now time to reassess life styles and decide what might be better for you long term rather than just trying to get through and survive each day or hour.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

seh1980
20-06-05, 14:01
Well done Gareth!! :D

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

LisaD
20-06-05, 16:44
Hi Gareth,

Well done to you!!! Thats fantastic-especially the sleeping bit...you're doing better than me at this point! Just wanted to let you know that when I first started to feel relief from the physical symptoms, I also experienced this emotional rollercoaster. Its all part of the recovery process so hang tight and it WILL get even better!

Take care, again, so happy to hear about your progress,

Lisa

~Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage~ Anais Nin

Karen
20-06-05, 18:12
Glad to hear you are feeling better Gareth. Well done.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

pips
21-06-05, 00:09
That's Great Gareth Well Done You!

Don't worry my mood seems to get up and down all the time to. My problem being oversensitivity I think!

Keep up the good work.

Take care,

Love PIP'S X X

jill
21-06-05, 00:47
You are doing soooo well Gareth WELL DONE :D:D
keep those positive thoughts going.

LOVE JILLXXX

"Every thought you think changes your biochemisty.
Your hormones are effected by your thoughts.
Pay attention to stuff that bring you joy.
Look for things that bring you a smile!" :D

nomorepanic
25-06-05, 17:52
Great news to hear this Gareth

Well done to you!

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"