PDA

View Full Version : What the hell happend to me?

Ldc20
29-11-08, 18:38
So today i was in a lecture of 14 people and 1 teacher

In part of this it came to a point where one by one all of the class had to take turns to talk while everyone else watched

I was so nervous but when my turn came it went ok. But then for the rest of the lesson whenever someone looked at me i couldnt look them in the eyes and i felt like i was twitching or shaking if i looked anyone in the eyes. I just felt so uncomfortable and couldnt make eye contact with anyone else......

and i still find it hard now to look a stranger in the eye for long

Nechtan
30-11-08, 18:17
It sounds like you are very introverted which I can relate to because I am the same. We think to much about the situation and can't let go of those thoughts. I used to hate public speaking at college and even if it went fine just like yourself the after effects remain. I think this is because we tense ourselves up so much and get stuck in a cycle of thought that even when the event has passed we don't get out of it.

It is the linger thoughts that cause this and the more we try to block them the more persistant they are. It is easier said than done but the only real way to deal with them is to sit down, let them in and see them for what they are. They are irrational and if we can accept that and then let them go they won't keep coming.

all the best

Nechtan

MacAodh
30-11-08, 18:23
I get this too, just try and remember it went fine and you can breath again, rest up and you'll be ok in a wee while :) Well done for doing well too! Its tough when public speaking causes you anxiety.