PDA

View Full Version : My Heart

Louise - KIA
30-11-08, 01:37
Hi guys,

I'm after some advice about my heart!!! I've already been to the doctors once about it but am not sure if I should go back for a 2nd opinion or not!!!

I'm 25 and since July I have been having slight aches across my chest and in my back (around the middle) and have also been getting palpitations. I notice my heart beating quite strongly when trying to sleep at night. It was around this time that I started to exercise again (around 3-5 times a week from doing once every 2 weeks). I then stopped in August and started again in September.

Then in September I went to do a fitness assessment at my gym and I had to do step ups for 3 minutes at a fairly slow pace and when I measured my HR afterwards it was beating so fast the instructor told me that I needed to consult a doctor before doing any more physical activity!!

Since then I have still been exercising 3 times a week and have noticed when I have been doing cardiovascular exercise that my HR goes up so high that it is working at 90% of my HR max. At the points when I have been noticing this I have been exercising at a level I feel I could sustain for a while!!

I have been to the doctors (5th November) and told her my symptoms but I think she thought I was fitter than I am and listened to my HR and chest and said it sounded fine. Since then however I have been for a health screening at Boots and the man noticed there that my heart was beating fast (it was 93 BPM and I was resting) and advised me to consult a doctor.

I also get pretty breathless when just walking up the stairs to my bedroom and do feel a bit dizzy when I'm exercising or walking around. This is what is worrying me the most as I think the doctor got the impression I was pretty fit and although I told her that it was not just happening when I was exercising I don't think she picked up on it as she just said if I was that fit my heart could cope with beating faster.

I don't think I'm stressed although I do have a fairly hectic lifestyle (I have 2 jobs and work 50 hrs a week and exercise) but do have time to relax too.

When I was at work today (waitressing) I was carrying food out to tables (it was pretty busy so I was working hard) and my heart was pounding pretty hard and I started to feel dizzy.

Do you think I should go back to the doctors for a 2nd opinion?

rothko
30-11-08, 02:07
I would highly recommend a trip the the doctors to seek a second opinion, it took me a couple of trips before they decided to send me to a cardiologist. Apart from the annoyance of having a large 70's style tape recorder strapped to me for a few days it was worth it.
In the mean time it may be worth examining your lifestyle, cut down on stimulants such as caffeine, tobacco, alcohol and highly spiced foods. Make sure you get enough sleep and at regular times, check out any medication that you may be on also. ( sorry that all these work on assumptions, but hopefully a little use. )

LeeBee
30-11-08, 03:07
I agree with rothko, probably the only thing that will reassure you is another consultation with your doctor. Write down in advance your symptoms, questions and anything else that you want to say so that you don't forget while you're there.

Your blood pressure and heart rate can go up when you're nervous, which might be what contributed to high readings at Boots and the gym?

I also agree with what rothko said about cutting out stimulants if you take any. I've been off caffeine for about 4 months but this morning I thought a cup of coffee this morning. Result? I've been feeling anxious all day. Doh.