PDA

View Full Version : CBT - Am I missing the point?

freakedout
30-11-08, 21:49
Hi everyone,

There always seems to be such a big emphasis on CBT as a treatment and I know that NICE recommend it for various psychological problems including panic attacks, depression, OCD but for some reason it just doens't work for me. I am currently having therapy, it is my second attempt and I just don't feel that I am much better than when I started out. Does anyone else find that CBT hasn't worked for them? Most posts seem to be about successful CBT.

I do know that I am very set in my ways, it is not easy to change my opinions about my panic attacks, and my depression. I know the rational explanations for panic attacks and I understand why I avoid situations, I have tried to face situations and stuck with them until the end, but on the whole I am successful in avoiding most panic provoking situations still, and find it extremely difficult to face them. I know I will not die, or go crazy during a panic but that doesnt stop me from panicking.

I am pretty much resigning myself to having to accept that I have limited functioning or stressed out functioning forever. I just cannot bare to think what my future may be like, my children are getting older and I just feel like I let them down so much.

I would be interested to hear from anyone else who has had CBT.

Cheers.

Freaky

Franz
30-11-08, 23:51
Hi Freaky (yes, I've officially left, but no one will delete my account).

My experience of CBT was the same as yours. I understand rationally why I behave as I do but knowing that doesn't help me control my behaviour.

I think CBT probably works quite well for people who aren't naturally introspective or haven't read up on psychology etc. And people whose problems perhaps aren't that severe. I can't begin with it.

I need something that addresses my unconscious mind, not my conscious mind. I'm still looking. With increasing desperation.

Bestest,

F

belle
01-12-08, 09:55
I have been having CBT since April.
I am NO better.

My therapist said i was one of his only patients that hadn't made any progress in his 30 year (i think it was 30) career!!!!

PUGLETMUM
01-12-08, 10:16
:) i dont think cbt works if you are depressed?

i also think mindfulness cbt works better, i wouldnt give up on it in the long term, but maybe you just need someone to offload to before you can get on with the real work of cbt - but i know that if you are having nhs cbt then you are limited, shame but true - if you can go private you get someone to listen and to guide you with the cbt - btw, i am not loaded, but i am committed, and i am currently sliding into debt, however i figure that the better i feel th emore productive i will be, and i seem to be right - my contiinuing committment to myself is paying dividends - but i think you need to be ready - you can tdo it for anyone else, it has to be for yourself - then it works:)

Wolfie
01-12-08, 10:19
Personally, I think CBT does work for the majority of people - but like everything else, it won't suit everyone. And that's perfectly normal.

Franz, you said a number of things - I think people who do have a knowledge of psychology, etc are in a way, more likely to make good progress with CBT, as it can be more understandable, etc. And also, in my opinion, it doesn't depend on the severity of the anxiety. There are however, other factors which play a role in CBT not having an effect.

Freaky, some people do find that CBT doesn't do anything for them. And most of the time, that is the case - what you must do is to continue to look out for other therapies such as hypnotherapy, TFT, etc. You can still get better, it's never too late hun. You can do it!

Lots of love and hugs,

Wolfie xxx

Nechtan
01-12-08, 13:03
My sister-in-law was on medication for panic attacks and had to come off it when she was pregnant. She had CBT courses and they worked wonders for her. She no longer suffers from panic.

I had CBT too and thought it would do the same for me but it didn't work at all. I can see the point of it and how it works for people but it did not work for me. Personally I think its easy to put people with panic under one umberalla when that is not the case at all. I think the more deep seated and longer you have suffered the less likely CBT is to work for you.

All the best

Nechtan

june
01-12-08, 13:16
Hi, this will sound very strange.......
But I think CBT is like Physiotherapy - it is something YOU DO ....... not something you get.
I had CBT and I thought the therapist was mocking my ailments (why do you think you are so special? etc)
I also think that "they" throw information at you - that you already know BUT BUT you do not know how to put it into practice - you / we / I need to be guided through it as I find some exercises, such as changing my breathing pattern, Absolutely terrifying - the response??? well if you are not prepared to try........
Hope this helps??
June
:hugs: :hugs:

freakedout
01-12-08, 22:53
Hi everyone,

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I am glad to know that I am not alone, but at the same time wish that CBT had worked for us. Franz, good to see you back, I have to agree that if my unconscious mind was somehow 'tapped into' then I may be more responsive to CBT. Wolfie, I did try hypnotherapy a few years ago but only managed one session because I just could not relax at all. I have recently attempted to read Richard Bandlers book on NLP and How to change your life, but I couldn't get through a chapter without crying! It was interesting that emma suggested it might not work if you are depressed, but they use CBT for depression too. I have to admit though my memory is pretty poor and my concentration isn't that great either, particularly when I am low in mood. Maybe I am still not ready. I am glad you are having some success, I hope it continues.

Whilest the severity of anxiety may or may not influence effectiveness of CBT I do believe that in my case if I had CBT in the early days, when my panic attacks and avoidance behaviour started, I might have responded better. This is pretty much what you said Nechtan. I raised this issue with the psychologist however and he said "not necessarily so" but I cannot remember how he explained it.

Belle I am sorry you haven't had any success either, are you still seeing your therapist?

Finally June, I understand exactly what you mean, and I do know that you get out of therapy what you put into it. That doesn't mean I haven't tried but I do know that it is mostly easier to put myself off facing a situation, than to challenge my fears head on. I appreciate that consistently practising gradually desensitizes you, but it doesn't with me....arghhhhh.

It does help a lot to read your perspectives, I really appreciate them so thanks. I wish you all the best with or without CBT.

Freaky

PUGLETMUM
02-12-08, 10:14
:) hi freakedout/all - firstly i have a brill new book about mindfullness based cbt - it is written by professors who have had funding from nhs to study and research mindfullness - beleive me it will be the next thing being used on the nhs coz they can do it in groups and so save money! but from personal experience it does work:yesyes:

secondly they do advise that you dont start cbt when you are currently depressed, they suggest one to one therapy or meds or just time to get you through the worst. this therapy does take work, like june says it doesnt happen to you, you make it happen for you.

you didnt get like this overnight so why would anyone expect to get better straight away - basically you have rewired your brain to be nagative and anxious and you have to reverse that process, it takes time and pain. if you are expecting too much this could also be a block to it working. you say you did hypnotherapy but you couldnt relax? well im not relaxed alot of the time but i still do things anyway, its better than doing nothing!

the brilliant thing about mindfullness is that you are not expected to rid yourself of anything, more you are taught to relax and open to your negative emotions and to sit with them, welcoming them and trying to learn for m them. you say you cried when you read the book - really that is good, what is wrong with crying - it wont kill you, it actually makes you feel better and if you really go into yourself you start to learn why that pain is there - then through mindfullness you can make positive choices that will enhance your life.

also to the person who said tha tif your probs are long standing you will prob not get nay benefit - thats not true, anyone can be helped by cbt or mindfullness, i have a 22 year history, and i am eventually learning to be with myself no matter how i feel, to take care of myself and support myself, this is the key to mindfullness - you let all thoughts and feeling come, you watch them from afar and you dont listen to what some of them are telling you, thoughts are thoughts they are not always the truth - and then you look after yourself, something that alot of us may not have been doing for a very long time - you will be amazed at how differnet you feel when you start o be your own best friend instead of your own worst enemy:yesyes:

june
02-12-08, 13:42
Hi freakedout
:blush: :blush: Sorry that must have sounded bad:blush:
Finally June, I understand exactly what you mean, and I do know that you get out of therapy what you put into it. (That was their opinion that i was quoting - sorry) That doesn't mean I haven't tried but I do know that it is mostly easier to put myself off facing a situation, than to challenge my fears head on. I appreciate that consistently practising gradually desensitizes you, but it doesn't with me....arghhhhh.
I meant that it is that the medics criticise us and imply that we are not trying:weep: I have read enough of your posts to know that you are trying every day to understand what is happening to you / us and why!!!!:blush:
The CBT therapist and on another occasion a group therapy psychiatry team - gave us so much paper information (easily 50 sheets) BUT did not give us any physical?? help such as the group doing "deep breathing exercises together" --- which would have taken some of the fear/ uncertainty out of the practice.......... on my own I CAN NOT do these exercises they frighten the life out of me. :weep:
Like you I do try so hard but they still make me feel guilty........ i should be better by now:mad: :mad: :mad: they say:mad:
Best wishes
June
:hugs: :hugs:

freakedout
02-12-08, 16:59
Thank you so much for your replies,

Emma, I will take inspiration from your post, I am glad that after your 22 years you are able to be your own best friend. I think perhaps you are right that being less depressed would be a factor here, and there are several issues that contribute to my depression that I still need counselling for.

I hope that one of these days I can post a success story on here, and it does help to read other stories such as yours, where you are getting to grips with things. Thank you for your time, it means a lot.

June, I must admit it did cross my mind that you were infering that I was not perhaps trying hard enough, I apologise, it is so easy to misinterpret things. Please don't take any offense because none was intended :). Equally I did understand what you wrote and I still understand how you are affected by all of this too -
on my own I CAN NOT do these exercises they frighten the life out of me. :weep:It is just so frustrating isn't it.

Like you I do try so hard but they still make me feel guilty........ i should be better by now:mad: :mad: :mad: they say:mad:I suppose I am lucky that my therapist and current CPN don't make me feel too guilty, but I did feel bad when I got a lecture from my GP when I requested some more Diazepam recently, and I have certainly had some inconsiderate support in the past from a CPN. Thank you June for replying, I want to wish you well with your therapy, sorry if came across abrupt.

Heres to a neurosis free future:unsure:!!

Freaky

EmmaJane
02-12-08, 17:02
My experience of CBT was the same as yours. I understand rationally why I behave as I do but knowing that doesn't help me control my behaviour.

I totally agree with that...

I am restarting a CBT course, but am going to mention the fact that I cant control my behaviour

ade
03-12-08, 11:13
i had cbt for a couple of years and i have to say it didnt work at all for me and i was left feeling like i had failed the treatment.i have issues with it anyway because a lot of the fear that i was experiencing was connected to real and traumatic events in my childhood,and to be frank,i was correct to be very scared,it wasnt irrational,and when this emerged in cbt i was dropped like a stone.went back to my previous psychologist,had one more year of expressive work,and here i am back to work fulltime.
its whatever gets you through the night!

PUGLETMUM
03-12-08, 12:28
:yesyes: yes it is ade, but there is no alternative! if there is no underlying trauma then you wont be offered any other form of therapy.

the other thing you could do is invest in the book i bought called the mindful way through depression freeing yourself from chronic unhappiness you can ge tit on amazon - you could buy it for yourself for christmas.

i do know how frustrating cbt is and i know how insensitive at times the therapists can be - mine has said a few things to me that have grated, but shes human and i either mention it to her so we can discuss what she means or i 'know' that what she is saying isnt true and i ignore it.

personally i see atherapist becasue my mum died and i have no-one else to talk to who doesnt 'want' something from me - for me my therapist is jus tfor me. but i know that others dont have access to this.

all i can say is that i went through my blocks when i wouldnt budge or be prepared to feel 'pain' and then i came out of that - but only when i had stopped saying anything negative to myself. my usual internal dialogue went along these lines ' you are useless' 'you are a loser' 'you are hopeless' 'life will never change' 'you might as well give up' 'life is crap, what is it for, why am i here, whats the point?' 'i am stupid' 'i am no good to anyone, theyd all be better off with out me, then they could go anywhere and do anything!'

this is the question HOW CAN ANYONE SUCCEEED WHILE THEY SAY THESE THINGS TO THEMSELVES ON A MINUTE BY MINUTE BASIS?

if you undertake exposure work, but you are still speaking to yourself liek this everytime something goes wrong, you will never get better, because you are most probably depressed and nobody can do this stuff while depressed - ther needs to be an element of strength to do all of these scary things.

example and proof mindfullness based cbt works - i have only ever once been to a larger event - a man u match in 1995, after that my life went downhill due to depression and then my life became consumes with panic after i had my daughter with a virtual stranger (i had known him 16 weeks when i got pregnant! - not a clever move but obviously connected to the death of my mum) - but last night i went to a packed out M.E.N arena!!!! to see my daughter in the young voices thing that goes on there every year to raise money for children with cancer. last year my in-laws went, as they have gone to everything:weep:

but i could take no more - what had i done to hide myself away and to be so frightened of life itself??? NOTHING - i just happen to be an anxious person who finds it hard to deal with emotional pain. pain that i try to get rid of, only to dig myself deeper into a hole by the way i beleive the thoughts i have - i would say cbt gave me a general understanding, my therapist is now more of a counsellor and i beleive you can help yourself by buying the remarkable book that has moved me along to be able to do wha ti did last night.

we all suffer the same, so we can all get better the same - ther is not one person who cant acheive some peace within, no matter how bad your circunstances are:flowers:

rainwave
03-12-08, 21:29
Hi Freakedout. First Hang in. Like storms it will pass. It may not stop raining but the wind will calm down.

Yes Cbt for the most part, works. But it is just one tool of many that you need to work with. Some people can do all the CBT they want, but with nutritional deficiencies in serotonin (ie tryptophan), tyrosine, and many other brain amino acids you will not get very far. It's like trying to run your car with dirty fuel. You can give it the gps wavepoint (CBT) but it will take forever to get there. There are other treatment out there. Hang in!!

freakedout
05-12-08, 01:07
Hi rainwave, are you suggesting then that getting on top of depression first might be the way forward?

Thanks for your reply

Freaky

Yvonne
05-12-08, 09:03
Hi All

I'm like Freaky, have had cbt before with a psychologist, actually she gave up and introduced me to mindfulness lol.

I've been having my cbt "revamped" and although I have tried hard I still can't get it to change my mood. The therapist keeps saying that I sabbotage myself with my thoughts. However, once this sabbotaging thought has struck you are already in the downward spiral of feeling horrible.

The thing is, I have always thought the way I do as far as I can remember I was never a very positive person... ever! I was ok though.

I'm happy for those who cbt has worked for but I have to say that there is more to this than meets the eye. Maybe it does work for some people, maybe their form of anxiety/depression is not like ours. Cbt does not work for everyone and I think it was Franz who said that her therapist said that he had never met anyone it hadn't worked for. Well, wasn't he a brilliant therapist! Not!! How dare he say that to you - that could only make someone feel worse.

Emmas; brilliant posts as usual. I'm going to get that Mindfulness book you mentioned - I have the other one as you know.

june
05-12-08, 14:31
:hugs: Somewhere on these posts over the last week or so - A person asked "HOW DO YOU CHANGE THE WAY YOUR BRAIN WORKS????

It has got into the habit of these awful thoughts.
It also knows that they are NOT helpful thoughts.
Then it argues with itself
and you go into a downward spiral because your brain has got tiredAnyone who has tried to give up smoking or drinking (too much) will know how damned hard that is.
These are physical things you can for example look at the cigarette and say no i will not smoke you yet!!!!!! and put it back in the packet.
You can not take a thought out of your head and put it back in the packet.:mad: :mad: :mad:
Best wishes
june

rainwave
05-12-08, 19:06
Hey Freaky,
No I am suggesting you look at a possibility of nutritional deficiencies. There may be a component to this that can be helped with getting you're neurotransmitters back in balance whether it's due to a gene creating havoc or just plane deficiencies. It's complicated though. This whole brain is complicated. I am not saying by doing his it will all go away. There is more at work here than science. But this could help. Depression is just part of the whole storm. By creating balance the storm may subside to the point where you can sail your ship. Learning to do that can be tough,I know.....Rainwavehttp://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/www.voc.iinet.net.au/ship_storm.jpg

PUGLETMUM
06-12-08, 11:57
:D hi all, this is the exact point that mindfullness works - you dont have to rid yourself of ANY thoughts - even the ones that are so black they scare the wits out of you!!! you become able to watch these thoughts as thoughts without getting tied up in them or beleiving that they are actually YOU . they are not they are just events in the mind - the nagative ones like im s**t, or im always going to be like this, we beleive and then we get depressed and once we are depressed we just keep beleiving more of the nagative thoughts we have.

tghias is where mindfullness really truly works - it is blessed relief to not have to STOP yourself from having thoughts - this is why these guys developed this practice - it is ancient wisdom from the buddha and it is proven to work -because ordinary cbt doesnt tackle the fact that we have these thoughts. cbt doesnt explain why we have so many nagative thoughts, it wants you to question them and ask where is the evidence for beleiving that thought - very tiring? mindfullness practice is allowing EVERYTHING to be there, but instead of getting involved with the thought you watch it and examine it, you get to go so deep into who you are that these thoughts start to make sense, if yuo are having bad thoughts about yourself that are unwarranted, eg you havent hurt anybody but you keep telling yourself youare rubbish you are to ignore these thoughts and you arre to take care of yourself like you would a small child.

if you have some deep pain about some issue then mindfullness will help you to get close up to that pain and to understand why its there and to help you bear it, and then it will help you to make the right decisions to move you forwards. however the most crucial part about mindfullness is that it starts to help you to accept that what you are feeling right now is what you are feeling and that you dont have to try to rid yourself of your sadness/anger/dissapointment/frustration/despair etc etc and that our actual desire to be 'happy' when it isnt possible to be happy is what makes us so miserable - mindfullness will open you up to the idea that we are depressed becasue we try sooooo hard not to be, it really is fantastic stuff.

please bear in mind that depression is an illness and it robs you of yourself, for me ridding myself of the depression and negative self-talk was the key to me getting better, and the most effective way of helping myself is to practice mindfullness:hugs:

This post has been automatically edited by the NMP post filter

Franz
06-12-08, 12:28
Emma,

I've tried the mindfulness approach, but I find some thoughts, or rather some feelings, are just so intense and unpleasant that I CAN'T accept them.

I do find mindfulness helpful for insomnia. If I wake up in the night and start thinking, "Sh**, I'm never going to get to sleep", and notice my stomach going tense, I find I can often just drift back to sleep and observe the tension in my stomach. One thing: to do this, I have to keep breathing slowly and steadily; it's like a kind of shallow meditation.

This doesn't work with my social phobia because with that my whole system is on red alert and breathing slowly is such an effort that I can't do it.

F

june
06-12-08, 13:59
If i wake up fearful (not in panic) i will concentrate on the alphabet:ohmy: :blush:
A= apple, Angela, albert
B=bannana, bert, brenda
C=cherry, carol, carl
I.e one fruit or berry plus one male and one femail name
Better than counting Sheep Ha ha (sorry)
Get stuck on letter i though:D
Somtimes get up for milky drink :weep:
Just some simple thoughts to help sleep without to much concentration - sometimes even giggle at the stupidity of my game and then chide myself for trying to get out of finishing the alphabet.
june

PUGLETMUM
08-12-08, 12:34
:) hi, obviously because i am part of this forum i also suffer from alot of unwanted thoughts and feelings - but its these that we especially have to bring mindfullness to - it doesnt work if you cant be mindful of the worst thoughts and feelings - you cant rid yourself of them anyway so you might as well as get aquainted with them, watch them, feel them and becasue you are being mindful of them they go anyway - its the frantic desire to be rid of them that keeps them going:winks:

Alabasterlyn
08-12-08, 14:28
I had CBT some years ago for about a year on and off. I do think part of the success or failure of this treatment depends on how good the therapist is. My psychologist took so much time off for holidays and sickness that I never knew from one week to the next if she would actually cancel or not, which certainly didn't help.

I also found my therapist didn't understand agoraphobia and her responses to some of the things I said just made me feel worse. For example when she once took me out walking around a huge field when the temperature was 96f and there was no shade and I was worried I might pass out from the heat, her response was "well I hope you wouldn't expect me to be able to help you as I know nothing about CPR" :ohmy:

On another occasion I expressed my fears at being in large department stores and not being able to see the exits. Her response was "when was the last time you heard of someone being trapped indefinately in a department store"

To some this may seem like the regular responses you get from a therapist, but at the time I needed reassurance and support and didn't feel that I got any.

Eventually I was discharged and have since been refused any further treatment on the grounds that I have "trust issues". Yeah well I'm sure most people would if they spent a year listening to some of the dumb things I was told :shrug:

burberrygirl72
16-12-08, 11:04
hi i have just finished my cbt and to be honest it did work for all of 8 weeks but now i have stoppd im going back to how i was befor

alias_kev
16-12-08, 13:09
Eek... I've just skimmed through this thread and I mainly saw evidence of really bad therapists. I'm not sure what it tells us about CBT really since the worst examples look like therapists who should never have had the job.

The thing to me is that the therapist (or anyone helping) has to accept the following, and probably the sufferer too:
a. the emotion & fear are real
b. only the cause of the fear is irrational (ie. false)
c. initially the sufferer may need lots of help to do anything
d. the help should reduce as they improve. (ie. doing for them is not a cure)

This would seem to apply to any therapy. The sufferer does need to learn that their fear is irrational BUT should not be treated as silly or foolish.

I think CBT can easily fail because you can be thrown a lot of information rather being taught that information and taught to apply it. It a bit like throwing some maps to someone who is lost. If they cannot read a map - or maybe cannot read at all - it won't help them. You have to teach them to use the information and techniques. Its not just a magic spell.

Good Luck to everyone

sunshine-lady
16-12-08, 18:29
I have had one to one CBT for a while now. I have a wonderful therapist who specialises in the condition I have - Bipolar. I have weekly sessions and feel a little better and positive straight after the session, however the next day I feel as bad as I did before. I am not sure if CBT is for me, although I can see how it can work very well for others.

kel81
19-12-08, 23:22
Hi,

I've been having CBT for a while too. My therapist is lovely and someone I knew before.
I feel like you do. I actually realised that she doesn't really get how i'm feeling and i felt back at square one again.

I also felt positive staright after but down again the morning after. I think I just liked getting things off my chest.

Maybe i'm missing something too?

Sorry i couldn't be much help, i just wanted to say i understand how ya feel

Kel

sheena
20-12-08, 13:23
The first time I went for CBT the psychologist said that I was not ready for us to work together.

2 years later when I was managing to go out with my safe person a different psychologist phoned me up to arrange some sessions. I remember I arranged the time and then panicked and phoned her back to say that I could not make the appointment. She was very understanding and calmed me down and I went to see her.

The first two sessions was for her to gain information into how my life was being affected by anxiety and agoraphobia. She was younger than me and very quietly spoken. It helped that she was female as I am not good expressing my feelings with males.

On the first appointment I just burst in to tears and told her that I thought she was going to do exposure therapy on me. She calmed me down and said that she would not make me do anything I did not want me to.

I found CTB very helpful as it helped me with my driving phobia as well as my agoraphobia. I did not all at once say hey I am cured. It was a long journey to gain some part of Sheena back again. I remember when I first became ill thinking that I had lost the Sheena who had spent years building up some form of self confidence due to a long standing social phobia.

I am not back to the old Sheena, and do not know if I ever will be, but at least I can get out of the house on my own now and drive albeit within a 5 mile radius of my house.

Sheena

freakedout
20-12-08, 14:13
Thankyou all for your replies.

I am glad it isn't just me then!!! I find often that during my sessions my psychologist does say things that make perfect sense, and he offers me a different perspective, or way of thinking. I do have problems with my memory though which I put down to being anxious during therapy and having depression. I easily forget, and am such a natural now with my automatic negative thoughts that sometimes I just cannot think positively and believe.

I am still in therapy, and potentially being offered a support worker to help me with graded exposure. OMG. I am scared. Have I got the courage? I guess only time will tell. In the meantime, I am trying to accept that I will always have anxiety issues, I will always have avoidance behaviour and limited opportunities as a consequence. Perhaps I should just be grateful for what I can do, which is more than some others.

Thanks for all your replies, and all the best to you all.

Freaky

Ozpanic
13-01-09, 11:31
mindfullness i think is better then CBT look it up, i relate to it more and it make more sense Oz

http://content.sweetim.com/sim/cpie/emoticons/00020359.gif (http://www.sweetim.com/s.asp?im=gen&lpver=3&ref=10)

(http://www.sweetim.com/s.asp?im=gen&lpver=3&ref=12)

no-fear
14-01-09, 22:31
I think CBT works if you fully understand it, but like with medication, it does not work for everyone. Also I think it is easier to use it if your symtoms are not that bad, but when you are feeling really bad, it is very hard to use it and takes a lot of effort.

PUGLETMUM
16-01-09, 11:01
:) hi i would just like to add that all cbt and or mindfullness take a long time to become natural - you have to act 'as if' fior a long long time.

the way my therapist put it to me was - its like walking a path in a corn field - you wear a path down - think how long it took to wear that path down and how long it will take to wear another one down and how unnatural it will feel for a good while until you become comfortable and familiar with the new path - it can work, but it takes faith and determination

i also feel mindfullness works better for me as it akes away the rejection element of our thoughts - you are 'allowed' to have all thoughts but you learn which ones to ignore and which ones to beleive to take yo towards a stronger future:yesyes:

proccie
25-01-09, 20:00
I tried CBT and thought the same as you. I did find after about 6 sessions things did improve, although don't really know how. For one reason or another I stopped and now my symptons have returned. I am going to go back. Stick with it

Hi everyone,

There always seems to be such a big emphasis on CBT as a treatment and I know that NICE recommend it for various psychological problems including panic attacks, depression, OCD but for some reason it just doens't work for me. I am currently having therapy, it is my second attempt and I just don't feel that I am much better than when I started out. Does anyone else find that CBT hasn't worked for them? Most posts seem to be about successful CBT.

I do know that I am very set in my ways, it is not easy to change my opinions about my panic attacks, and my depression. I know the rational explanations for panic attacks and I understand why I avoid situations, I have tried to face situations and stuck with them until the end, but on the whole I am successful in avoiding most panic provoking situations still, and find it extremely difficult to face them. I know I will not die, or go crazy during a panic but that doesnt stop me from panicking.

I am pretty much resigning myself to having to accept that I have limited functioning or stressed out functioning forever. I just cannot bare to think what my future may be like, my children are getting older and I just feel like I let them down so much.

I would be interested to hear from anyone else who has had CBT.

Cheers.

Freaky

tm_edinburgh
26-01-09, 10:22
I got worse before I got better, sessions 1 -2 for me where mundane, sessions 3-6 were pretty horrible and then 7-8 have been really good.

Snowshadow
26-01-09, 21:16
I can't say enough good things about CBT... but it does take time and a LOT of practice. Six sessions isn't nearly long enough. I went to a group for CBT that was three months long. Then a year later I took it again. Amazing how it changed my life. Please don't give up on it... it's so worth it. But it does take time and practice. I love the analogy to the corn field and the path. How very true that is! We can't expect to change our thinking overnight... Good luck!