PDA

View Full Version : Skeptic about therapy

allmixedup
01-12-08, 12:56
I have had tons of reads on my post but only one reply I do apologize if my thread made people uncomfortable ( imagine how I feel). I am really afraid that when I start seeing a therapist that they wont be able to help me and the medicine they perscribe what if it turns me into a different person although I will admit that is something I want but completely I want to shed all my traits for some reason I am forcing these thoughts upon myself maybe becasue misery loves company and I like to be alone the only thing I can think to do is distract myself. Nechtan replied to my thread and spelled it out for me that I really need to focus and realize that these thoughts are irrational and I am blowing them way out of proportion to the "what if" category but still I am plagued and it feels as if this will never go away I need a different mind set but when you struggle on and off and each time it gets worse for four years you kind of wonder if the success stories out there are lies. I know itsnot impossible to overcome but in my case what is the first step and how much does it cost?

HollyisCrazy.com
01-12-08, 13:34
My doctor gave me the details of a really good private therapist and she really has been amazing so far. Not sure if the set up is the same in the US but it's worth a shot to go down that route... You need an outlet and to talk to someone face-to-face who you can trust.
Remember that doctors and therapists are not there to judge you and that they are there to help you find your own path to inner peace - whether that be with the helps of meds or not. I honestly think it is a very brave step you're making by admitting what you experienced, and remember that not all thoughts are a reflection of what you're actually going to do and even what you want to do! For example, there have been many times when I'm driving and I think 'it would be so easy for me to drive off the side of the road' It doesn't mean that I'm going to or even want too!!

I really think you should try therapy and not bottle up these emotions - you'll make yourself really ill if you do and there is help out there.

Take care of yourself and don't worry what other people think of you. You are your own person and the only one that you need acceptance from is yourself....

Holly x

Diane O'Brien
01-12-08, 13:34
Hi

So sorry u feel like u do. Give therapy a go and take little steps. O,K,. The therapy may help, when you begin to think more logically then the negative thoughts may fade. It took me a while to get my thoughts in some rational order. It takes time but you will get there. Embrace all the help you receive. Things will improve.

Take Care xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Nechtan
01-12-08, 14:13
Hi again,

I've typed up a couple of extracts from a book which I hope may help and stuck them on my blog, just click the link at the bottom. Hopefully this may give some relief in the short term which you decide which course of action to take.

All the best

Nechtan