PDA

View Full Version : Fear of Doctors

NervousNellie
01-12-08, 18:47
I'm a 30 year old mother of 2 beautiful little girls, ages 3 and 5. I suffer from HA, but I also have a terrible fear of doctors. I don't think it's the doctors themselves that I fear, but the results of tests and examinations. This just recently began about a year ago. Doctor visits never bothered me before.

On an average day, I have some symptoms of anxiety and/or panic, but generally it's not too bad. Very rarely do I have panic attacks during a normal day. But when it's time for me to visit the doctor, I absolutely go bonkers!! I end up in a full panic attack even when I call to make an appointment! Last month I had a virus. I went to the doctor to get some antibiotics and ended up in the hospital because of a fast heart rate! Turns out I was dehydrated (they couldn't draw blood because my veins were collapsing).The fast heart rate happened to me once before (over a year ago) and I was referred to a cardiologist who pretty much said "you have a fast heart rate - so what? You're anxious - it's normal!" And then he told me not to come back to the cardiologist because my problem is not cardiac related. It was such a horrible experience both times that I panic just thinking about going back to the doctor! Everything turned out fine, but I can't get over my fear of even calling to make a routine appointment! I'm afraid that this will happen again and that they will send me right back to the hospital! From what I have read on these boards, most of you don't have a problem going to the doctor to get checked out. I understand that they are there to help, but I can't get it through my head that I'll be OK!! I'd love to have another baby (I have 2 girls already), but the thought of going through another c-section scares the life out of me! I had 2 wonderful experiences with pregnancy and c-sections, but for some reason I'm terrified to go through it again! I'm afraid that something will go very wrong and I will die or in the midst of my pregnancy they will discover some kind of awful disease and I won't live to see my children grow up! Sometimes I wish that the stork would deliver a baby to me so that I don't have to go through the fear of a pregnancy!

Any advice on how to handle this? Does anyone else experience such a fear of doctors that it keeps you from living your life? Deep breathing just doesn't work for me - it makes things worse. :scared15:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/images/misc/progress.gif