PDA

View Full Version : DP/DR once again

lotus
21-06-05, 17:36
I'm really confused, and I need some reassurance. I can deal with my DP and DR, as long as I know that they are just symptoms of anxiety. If these feelings are my brain's reaction to too much stress and panic, I know that they will go away when the anxiety subsides. But what if they're not? I know that some people get DP/DR out of nowhere, or after smoking pot. It becomes chronic, it lasts for their entire lives, and they never get better. It's horrible, and I'm so scared. Is there anyone who has had DP/DR for a long time, and then got better? I wish I could convince myself that this is just another symptom of anxiety, then I would manage to calm down and deal with it. But I'm afraid that DP/DR might be a separate condition with no relation to anxiety, and I freak out. I'm so scared that I can't even cry :[

rois
21-06-05, 17:58
Hi, I don't know what dp/dr is? However, just try and calm down, relax and try not to worry as it will only make you worse. Hope you feel better if you wanna pm me feel free.

"You die if you worry and you die if you don't"

florence
21-06-05, 20:24
Hi Indie

I know how you feel , I do get DP/DR too.
I 've seen myself with this for months and months and then got better..
I find that occupation ( job or hobbies ) help because you don't focus on your inner anxiety as much when you r busy.
It is just anxiety no matter how bad it feels. You 're definitely not alone with this.

Florence.

**Don't believe everything you think .**

Sue K with 5
22-06-05, 01:56
Hi Indie

Hang in their, s Flo said there are ways in which you can work on controlling your anxiety and channeling your thoughts into other things

Pm if you ever need to talk, you re not alone and the chat room in here is great with people who have exactly the same symptoms as you

Good luck

Sue with 5 children

scknight

Meg
22-06-05, 09:20
Rois

Have a read up !

Depersonalization: D/Personalisation (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2304)
derealisation/depersonlisation (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2512)
Hi new member mom w/ panic and dp/dr (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1239)
Disassociation (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2732)
when will this feeling leave? (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2971)

Indie, I don't know anyone where this has continued indefinately without chinks of reality creeping slowly back in after time. This definately needs much pateince, rest and distraction . Sorry, I know just how horrid this is..

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

rois
22-06-05, 09:43
thanx meg, they were helpful!

"You die if you worry and you die if you don't"

chucklehound
22-06-05, 11:09
I get them and worry which only makes it worse but they are definately anxiety related...

All the best

Feel free pm me if you want to chat

steno -x-

jill
22-06-05, 12:16
Hi Indie,

After my first PA I used to get DP/DR all the time I have learned that
this is the bodys way of protecting iteslf from any more anxiaty.
When I first heard that your supposed to welcome this feeling[:O]
I was shocked, how can you welcome something that frightens the life out of you?
I started telling my self that it will NOT last, it's OK it's all part of anexiaty I have nothing to fear.Its my body protecting me. I
would fight with Mrs anxiaty becaues she was always there selling me
all the negative things. As time went on I knew I was winning this battle because the symptom was getting less and less. The last time I had it, it
was very mild, I welcomed it, thought positively and it was gone.
You are sooooo right Indie, you do have to convince yourself that it is
another anxiaty symptom. Onec you do this your mind will be programmed and if the symptom comes back the positive thoughts
towards this symptom just pop into your head.
Even when I did not have the symptom, I would think about it, kept
putting positive thoughts in my head.
It dose not happem over night Indie.
With alot of hard work support and time it WLL go.
You may not think it's working, but the more you dhip away at the
negative thoughts with postive one's, slowly your mind is being programmed with the positive one's.

TAKE CARE

WISHING YOU WELL

LOVE JILLXXX

"You are being programmed all day, every day.
You can't stop it, but you can determine if the
programming is postive or negative.

lotus
22-06-05, 22:44
I know that DP and DR are common with anxiety. And I can perfectly deal with them if I know that they really are just symptoms. But for some reason, I thought that I might not suffer from them because they are a result of anxiety, but rather because I have them as a separate disorder. This is what makes me worry so much :[ I have them not only when I'm anxious, but even when I'm relatively calm. And I've had them for some months now. I even thought that maybe I had them the whole time, but never really noticed.
I remember now that when I was a child, I could consciously bring DP and DR by thinking about my existence /if that makes any sense/. I didn't really know what I was doing, I guess I was trying to somehow look at myself and at my life from the perspective of an outside observer. I would start thinking "OK, my name is Allie, I live here, I have green eyes and brown hair, I go to school, I have a dog. I exist. Wow, isn't this weird" and they would come for a couple of seconds, then disappear.

I'm so confused.

stimpy
23-06-05, 01:55
Hi Indie and welcome

I think we have all suffered depersonalization at time or another.

Try touching something solid such as the wall or the floor.
Stamp your feet when you walk and try to remain in the "now" as much as possible.

I find stressful situations can trigger depersonalization, in my case crossing roads. I always know when a migrane is comming on because I feel depersonalized a few minutes before.

It will get better and go away once you lwarn to relax and calm down.

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx
With hard work and determination and all the things you know.
The world is there for you to take. There's nowhere you can't go.

[:p]Scatty Eccentric & 'Poet Laureate to panic and anxiety'

nomorepanic
25-06-05, 17:01
If it helps then I no longer get this and I had it for many years.

I think mine just went with time and hasn't come back so that is great news for me.

Yours will go too.

Hang on in there ok?

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

lotus
25-06-05, 18:02
Thank you guys. I just find it hard to convince myself that it's all due to the anxiety. Besides, too much introspection really makes it worse. I'll just try to ignore it. Thank you.