PDA

View Full Version : Help

Anna78
03-12-08, 08:49
Hi everyone

i hope everyone is ok. I could do with some advise please, i have recently come of my citalopram (now thinking it was the wrong idea). Has any one else had strange feelings like feeling dizzy and haveing an extra heart beat when comeing off their meds. I really dont want to start takeing them again because the first fews weeks are hell.

I would just like to know other peoples experiences of comeing off their meds please just to put my mind at rest im abit anxious about it, to be honest i feel like crap and could do with a hug but im putting on a brave face for my family.

Anna x

lennons_mammy
03-12-08, 09:07
Did you just stop taking it suddenly or are you withdrawing slowly? Either way you will be suffering from withdrawl symptoms but if your withdrawing slowly they won't be anywhere near as bad as stopping suddenly.

Anna78
03-12-08, 09:15
Hi

Ive done it over about a month i was on 30mg then down to 20mg but i havent had any for a bout a week and a half. I keep getting a sort of jumping feeling inside my head and chest its an odd feeling

Anna x

lennons_mammy
03-12-08, 14:36
I think its definatly withdrawl. Its not nice but it should subside eventually.

Anna78
03-12-08, 14:52
Thanks

i wish i hadnt stoped takeing them now. It doesnt help with the anxiety in fact i think it makes things worse comeing off them. but i really dont want to be stuck on them for ever

Anna x

andrewc
03-12-08, 17:03
Hi Anna

How long were you on Citalopram before deciding to come off? The minimum time people should be on these is 7 -8 months and sometimes 15-18 months.
As for comming off them I think you cut them down too fast. Whats the hurry? Reduce by 5mg every 2 weeks then you wont get the side effects.

Best regards

Andy

Anna78
03-12-08, 17:45
Hi Andy

I have only been on them for the past 8 months i was on amatriptaline (excuse the spelling) before but they didnt agreed with me. I was on 30 then down to 20 and then i took them every other day but i havent taken any for the last week or so.

Thanks

Anna x

andrewc
04-12-08, 19:15
Hi Anna

Sorry for the late reply. Personally I think you should have stayed on 20 for a while and then reduce it in stages of 5mg every 1 or 2 weeks.

I dont know why youre in such a hurry to come off them if they make you feel better after all the reason we all went on them is to get rid of the dam anxiety as there is nothing worse in life.

Take your time as these drugs are not addictive contrary to all the negatives you read about. After all you dont hear very much about the positives as most people feel good and they cant be bothered to post on forums like these.

Best of luck and please get in touch if you need advice.

Andy