PDA

View Full Version : Ladies please, can you advise me?

Rootytooty
03-12-08, 11:16
Can anyone reassure me?

As I have posted before, I am having an issue with mid cycle bleeding.

My Dr has referred me to a gynae consultant, and the appointment is tomorrow.

I am really freaking out, as Dr said this was not mormal. I am now getting lower back pain and am really worried I have some gynae cancer.

The pain is more of an ache really not intense , about where your spine meets the solid bit (Sacrum?). Sometimes it feels a bit hot if I put my hand there.
I also get twinges in pelvic/abdominal area.

I have had a barium enema and bowel is clear.(Thank God).

My mid cycle belleding starts on day 14 and lasts about 1 -2 days.
It is not really bleeding, nore of a bloody discharge.

I am 46, an have an IUD.

Panic really rising after I read on BBC website about lady who had 3 smears before cancer was spotted.

Do you think that the odds are in my favour that it is not the big C?

I feel like I am in a nightmare, and it wont end. I am sorry to be so needy, but I just don't seem able to think about anything else.
I just want to close my eyes and not open them again.:weep:

Thank you for reading this, I really appreciate the support that this Forum provides.

tashbarnes87
03-12-08, 11:32
HI Rooty, i can completely understand what your going through. I have 4 months when my period last 14+ days and this was heavy and v scary. Doc reffered me to a gyne and typical it stopped before i saw him he didnt do anything as he didnt want to interfer. The doc said it must have been a hormone inbalance plus the pill. I havent had any smears yet as i am 20 but i will be getting one after the baby is born as i think its disgusting that they have raised the age to 25. From what i have read the big C down there shows its self as very very heavy bleeding and you feel unwell etc. How long has it been going on for?x

Rootytooty
03-12-08, 11:37
Hi Tash,

thanks for replying.

I'm not sure how long, as I didn't take any notice (I've only had HA for about 2 months). I know it is at least 4 months, but I just thought it was normal, so maybe it is longer. :scared15:

I am trying to reassure myself that if it were cancer, it wouldn't wait until I was mid cycle, and would be more erratic!

Yes, I agree with you, I think you should have smears as soon as you are sexually active - it can't do any harm, and could do a lot of good.

Good luck with the baby!

rocklover
03-12-08, 12:03
Hi,

I suffered from mid cycle bleeding and erratic periods last winter, which carried on for over 3 months. I had a smear and a Chlamydia test, which were both normal. To be honest, my dr was not concerned and told me it was more than likey down to stress. I also worried that I had something serious, but in the end I calmed down and my body righted itself after 3/4 months.

I am sure your dr has covered eventuality, and even though it's hard, you need to try and relax as all the stress will be affecting your hormones even more. Also, due to your age, could you not be pre-menopausal? My Mum had loads of bleeding problems when hers started.

rocklover
03-12-08, 12:04
That should be every eventuality!

Rootytooty
03-12-08, 12:27
Hi Rocklover,

Many tanks for your reply.

It is strange, another poster here told me the same thing, that her Mum had the same thing, and has had loads of tests, and that it is probably related to the onset of menopause, or hormonal.

The thing is, my Dr never said any of these things, and she left me worried. I just mentioned the bleeding ( was having routine coil checke) and said but that's nornal isn't it. Her reply was Quote "no". No reassurances, no possible explanations - nothing. Then she said she would refer me.

I then asked another DR, and he said "no" as well!! So I asked him what it could be and he said, if we go through all of the possible reasons you will have a miserable Christmas!! (This was when the appointment was likely to be post Christmas, and he knew I was anxious).

That is the main reason that I am finding it hard to stay calm. Drs have given me no possible explanation to cling on to. :scared15:

Anyway, the good folks here have been brilliant - thanks to you all.

countrygirl
03-12-08, 14:16
10 yrs ago when I was 37 I started to get mid cycle spotting every day that lasted until my period started. After 4 months of this I begged Dr to send me to gyny and had biopsy and ultrasound and all normal. For next 2 yrs everything normal then it started again - told it was wonky hormones. I hung out for 4 months that time before rushing back to gyny - another biopsy and ultrasound and again all normal - its your hormones I was told yet again.
Year later I started bleeding after sex. Big panic - had smear normal but also had the colposcopy to double check and again completely normal - again told its your hommones giving you an unstable womb lining which was breaking away with the mechaincs of sex (tmi!).

Got to 45 yrs old and I started to miss periods so would go up to 8 weeks iwth nothing then I would start spotting same time very day- some days I would think my period had started - really heavy for 2 hrs then back to nothing next day except bit of a spot - this went on for 4 weeks and then had period from hell - thought I was bleeding to death for 5 days. Then no period again for 2-3 months then off again on the dribble for weeks then period from hell. Imagine the panic. Off to gyny had ultrasound - D&C and biopsy under g a and everything completely normal - guess what its my hormones I am now perimenopausal.

this went on for a year- I could go three months with no period then bleed slightly for up to 6 weeks- I refused hrt and eventually my cycle went back to normal for 6 months.

BUT now I have just gone 2 months period free and havne't a clue whats going to happen next!!!!!!!!! Plus getting hot burning facial cheeks as well so guess it hormone time again. It is a year since I had all my tests so if all goes wonky again I bet I go back to Dr begging for tests again at least the ultrasound to put my mind at rest.

With me its the joys of the menopause approaching.

Rootytooty
03-12-08, 14:49
Hi Countrygirl,

Thanks for your post, it makes me feel a lot better.

Really sorry to hear of your experiences, it must be quite alarming for you. Still at least you have had all the tests, so you must feel a little reassured? I know this isn't always the case with HA.

Did the Dr not suggest something to keep your hormones more in line? 37 is quite young.

Does an ultrasound check everything?

RosieXXX
03-12-08, 16:41
Hello Rootytooty,

I think you are absolutely correct, if it was something sinister the bleeding would be erratic. Yours seems to be mid cycle - that isn't so unusual - i used to get some mid cycle bleeding, and as you say it is more like a discharge than a proper bleed; this can happen with ovulation - so i am certain this is some kind of hormonal related issue. Your doctors could have been far more reassuring - it is a pity you have been left to feel so worried by it all. Once you have seen the gynae tomorrow i am sure you will be feeling much better about things. Your backache is more than likely related to the tension you are feeling. It is amazing how we can focus in on these things when we are feeling so tense. All the best for tomorrow - hugs

rocklover
03-12-08, 17:32
Your drs sound very unhelpful, if they truly thought you were high risk, they'd have you at the hospital next week. I know it will be a difficult wait for you, but, please don't worry too much, it is much more likely to be hormonal.

The other option is to go back and see a different dr, explain how much the other GPs have worried you and ask if you need an emergency hospital appt. It is your body and your health, you have a right to information and reassurance.

I hope things get sorted out for you, in the mean time, put your feet up, have a cuppa and do something you enjoy fave film, book, crap tv, whatever) and pamper yourself. You deserve it!

RL x

Rootytooty
04-12-08, 12:50
Hello All,

Just back from the hospital.

Staff there were soo nice, not at all like my GP!! I think I may changge GP!

Had a scan, and the gynae said ovaries liik good, and if he had a uterus, he would want it to look like mine!! I was so relieved.:yahoo:

Took a biposy of lining of womb, but he said he was confident it would come back OK (It takes 2 -3 weeks).

He also said he thought he knew why the bleeding was occuring - he said that the cervix was ever so slightly open, an womb tissue was being exposed (cervical erosion?). He said it is not serious, and he could freeze it if I wanted, and then the normal vaginal skin would grow over it. He also said that I could just leave it alone. I have to think about it, and let him know via my GP.

I think I will get it done, because then the bleeding will go away, and I wont be tempted to worry "but what if is is something else". Especially as he said I could bleed after sex.

Really relieved as I drove home, although I did start get a few nagging thoughts - why mid cycle then? Why not whenever. But I am going to put those thoughts away and enjoy the feeling of getting good test results!!

Anyway, today I feel like a black cloud has rolled away, and I can see the sun for the first time in an age. Fingers crossed I can keep it up!

MANY MANY thannks to you all for the support - you're all great!:flowers::bighug1: