PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Suffer From Emetophobia?

bakerefc
03-12-08, 16:28
Anybody Found Things Really Helpfull For It?? Or Completely Overcome It???

rocklover
03-12-08, 17:18
I suffer from emetephobia, and although I am scared of being sick I don't think about all the time like I used to. Sadly for me my main anxiety symptom is terrible nausea, but I have got very good at telling myself nothing will happen and I try to go out even if I feel ill.

Anyway, what helped me will probably not be much use, but it was becoming pregnant, I suffered with terrible nausea and sickness and ended up in hospital on a drip. I always think to myself, if I dealt with that and it didn't send me insane I can deal with it again. With my anxiety flare up I felt sick constantly for about 3 months and kept telling myself it wasn't as bad as my pregnancy, so i would cope. It helped most of the time, but there were times I did have to stay in because my nerves were just too much.

I am rambling now, but my emetephobia comes in peaks and troughs, I have good times and bad times, what I do is just try to distract myself when things get too hard. You could always try CBT, or hypnotherapy, some people have had great results from these. But mostly i think you have to really dig deep and find your own way through without avoiding situations if you can. My Mum is emetephobic and has anti-sickness pills prescribed as a back up, you could always try asking your GP, might make you feel a litle less nervous. Sorry this long, good luck.