PDA

View Full Version : Exercise and positive thinking

Utility
03-12-08, 23:26
Hello,

I used to exercise but stopped suddenly because of the following:

For about a year or so I had chest pains, sore arms, shortness of breath, jaw ache, palpitations etc etc. I thought my exercising was doing it and that I had some underlying heart condition that was yet to be discovered.

Convinced I was going to die I had all the checks at the GP's and hospital (both of which were very helpful and found nothing wrong). Also CBT for a few weeks, again very helpful.

That's when I realised it was some sort of anxiety and when I admitted that, it subsided. I now exercise again and rather than thinking it is the cause of the chest pains I believe it helps to keep it away.

So exercise and positive thinking is the key for me.

Patty
04-12-08, 00:44
Hi Utility,:)

:welcome: to NMP. It's great that you've joined. There is so much information & help here. Thanks for sharing your experiences. :yesyes:

Best wishes xx :hugs:

EmmaJane
04-12-08, 09:20
Welcome to NMP, I want/need to exercise but the problem for me is I dont find the motivation. I tend to find the negative of looking after yourself gets in the way and all the positives get pushed to one side.

Dont know if that makes sense lol....

weeble40
04-12-08, 12:41
Hi and a big welcome to NMP its great to have you here, hope to see you in chat sometime,

Take care

Emma xxx

pooh
04-12-08, 19:07
Hi there and welcome along to NMP

POOh x

Utility
04-12-08, 22:18
Thank you for the welcome messages.

I had been reading some of the articles on this site for a while and found them quite helpful so in return decided to introduce myself.

In reply to what EmmaJane said about the struggle to motivate, I can relate to that. I was becoming scared at one point to even do something like cut the grass just in case I had a heart attack.

I was very fortunate in that I had two very sympathetic and helpful GP's, a Cardiology Consultant that listened to all my concerns and helped me realise that I was not going to drop down dead and a very good therapist for my CBT.

The exercise does not have to be marathon stuff, just anything that makes you slightly out of puff. A brisk walk or similar - it's all good stuff for the system.

Here's the funny thing, when I was convinced I was about to kick the bucket my doctor told me that I was in first class condition.