PDA

View Full Version : Smell obsession worries

phil06
04-12-08, 00:11
I sometimes put a bit much body spay on and it's worrying me as I want to stay clean and not smell.

I feel I use to much as I use two different types of spray before I go to work and sometimes spray it once at work and I get showered for as I work twice in a day and use more when i come out the shower. My skin round my arm pit has gone a bit red and dry from too much use. I feel I am a bit OCD with it and have the same issues in the toilet and end up using too much toilet roll.

Somebody at work says it's not good to put too much on and I'm a bit worried. Can anybody offer any reassurance? :unsure:

Dahlia
04-12-08, 12:39
Putting too much body spray won't actually do you any harm. The fact that you have red and dry skin could be overuse, or it could be that you are allergic to one of the sprays (I was allergic to Mitchum, and had contact dermatitis) - or, that you are rubbing too hard with a towel after showering.

I use deodorant when I get out of the shower twice a day. And I know lots of people who also freshen up with body spray throughout the day. I doubt you need two different types of spray before work though - they probably only offer the same level of protection as using one. (I've done a lot of consumer research on deodorants for a well-known brand, so I know a little too much about this subject!)

Wanting to stay clean and not smell is very important for the vast majority of people. If you said you were reapplying deodorant every hour, that would be excessive. But using it in the morning, plus when you get out of the shower, and a single top-up during the day doesn't seem overly excessive to me.

If you genuinely think you have an odour or wetness problem, there are stronger deodorants on the market, that you apply at night, then use your usual product in the morning. They offer a higher level of protection.

Hope that helps.

phil06
10-01-09, 01:25
I am a little worried again about this.

Tonight at work I had to wear very little deodorant as my arms were a bit sore due to a small cut when I shaved the hair off I have decided to cut back on use will it make the red go away? I am worried about the red down my side that I am burning or something. Even when cleaning my floor I need to use two different floor wipes to give it a better smell. Has anybody else experienced this? Is it OCD/Anxiety?

My anxiety tells makes me worry I am doing myself damage or something. I just seem to be obsessed by cleaning, smells. I even use shower gel plus soap now where I never use to before.

What is the best way to control it? is there a trick of the mind in getting over this?

eljay
10-01-09, 01:37
Is it the number 2 that is grabbing you? when I was a teen I had a thing about the number 3 and had to do stuff 3 times, number 2 was demon to me and I still dont like it but it doesnt bother me, when we chose our lotto numbers I made myself choose the number 2, I hated it lol.

mixing cleaners and deaodorants isnt a good idea, and I doubt 2 cleaners make a better smell, find 1 that you like and try to stick to it, you will soon find out if it is OCD

good luck x

LeeBee
10-01-09, 22:47
Phil - what do you think will happen if you don't use two cleaners or two body sprays or soap as well as shower gel? Are you worried that your floor will not be thoroughly clean, or that your body odor will be detectable? If so, what is bad about that?

phil06
11-01-09, 01:23
Phil - what do you think will happen if you don't use two cleaners or two body sprays or soap as well as shower gel? Are you worried that your floor will not be thoroughly clean, or that your body odor will be detectable? If so, what is bad about that?

Not sure.

I started wearing one body spray which keeps me dry but the Lynx has a nicer smell to it so I use both.

I just do it for extra smell rather than the actual cleanness. If I spill anything on the floor I have to clean it more than once and worry the smell is there still.

I guess I just think If i spay loads of body spray on I won't smell. I don't sweat much putting a little on but I just like extra protection. I guess the only way is to try and not use the shower gel so much and just use two body spays now and again?

It just seems to become a habit. I use to wear wax and gel at one point but I eventually got out that and found a wax I am happy with and just put a little on.

LeeBee
11-01-09, 01:43
OK - you don't want to be able to smell body odor, so you wash yourself a lot and spray on lots of deodorant/antiperspirant. I would guess the problem here is the level of anxiety that you feel at the thought that your body odor might be detectable (by yourself? or others?) and that the measures that you feel that you have to go through to achieve this - double washing and double body spray - are more than is actually necessary.

Maybe it would help to ask yourself before the second lot of washing in the shower - why do I need to do this? Why wouldn't the soap/shower gel have got me clean enough?

Perhaps, as you say, you could also to decide which of the products you like the most and restrict yourself to that. Washing yourself a lot with soap or shower gel will dry out your skin as it strips away the natural oils that protect it. The oils are meant to be there - they help form the barrier that stops dirt etc getting into your pores. And the excessive body spray may be irritating your skin, especially if you shave. You breathe a bit of it in every time you spray, too, which isn't nice for your lungs. I'm not trying to scare you - these things in moderation are fine - but too much of anything will not do you any good.

phil06
11-01-09, 02:33
Thanks.

I feel my anxiety has made me lose touch of what's a normal amount. What never helps is if I think sweat it makes me sweat. It's like a button. I hope my anxiety doesn't do me harm in the long run due to these obsessions it's one thing getting thoughts but it makes it worse with this.

I think it's like OCD because I spay myself when I come out (this is normally enough) and I go back and spray a little more and a little more to be extra safe.)

To give you an idea I get imaginary feelings with anxiety I feel itchy and and I need to spray more so it feels "just right" I am like this in the bathroom also.

The obsessions have got a bit much they seem to trigger all sorts of emotions like going red in the face, embarrassment, fear, sweating. Not sure if it's a normal thing with anxiety. Every time I get thoughts they seem more intense and I'm worried they are getting worse than other anxiety sufferers.

I take things to heart about my looks to always try my best to look good which makes me feel pressurised. I am not sure why I need to have everything perfect. My anxiety seems to have control over me well I feel it does.

I now feel I am going mad due to the anxiety, work stress, love life. Don't see why I can't relax more.

phil06
12-01-09, 01:05
I read this article online:

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/news/DEODORANT-KILLS-BOY-12/article-487911-detail/article.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1087772/Boy-12-collapsed-died-using-Lynx-deodorant.html

I am terrified after reading it as I use a fair amount of wax also. I'm worried i am the only person with this cleaning OCD.

I have also had a few funny beats not sure if it's anxiety due to a bit much body spray. Have I done myself damage? :blush: :ohmy: