PDA

View Full Version : to google or not to google

EmmaJane
04-12-08, 14:22
I watched a programme last night on dentists and it was mentioned someone had mouth cancer. Guess what I woke up today, with a swollen sore cut right at the roof of my mouth. So im thinking.... Yep mouth cancer.

Thats a bit sore and a gland has been up on my neck for weeks. Been to docs about all this.

Does anyone get this, if I run my tongue over it, it is sore like it is a cut?

Help... Before I google

bottleblond
04-12-08, 15:00
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DON'T GOOGLE!!! Lol

Sweetheart i do get this too and it's nothing to worry about. Rinse your mouth out with cooled salt water. Do this for a few days and it should clear up pretty quick.

Lisa
xxx

Door_Badger
04-12-08, 16:22
Lol as soon as I read the thread title I was going to put EXACTLY what bottleblond put!

Googling for symptoms is never a good idea, especially with anxiety.

Did you have anything hot to eat the day before? Hot pizza is normally the one that does it for me, or sometimes even for no reason at all.

It's annoying, but It'll go eventually, and as bottleblond says - salt water helps! :D

Regards,

Dave

PhoenixGrey
04-12-08, 18:37
I've been told not to worry about anything that hurts regarding mouth cancer... - Both doc and dentist told me only to do something about it if it's there for at least a week, and is overly red, or white in colour and if it doesn't hurt.

NervousNellie
04-12-08, 19:17
This happens to me every once in a while. Usually after I eat some potato chips or a toasted piece of bread....something with sharp edges. Did you eat something crispy that may have caused a cut on your gum?

EmmaJane
04-12-08, 20:38
Argh I did eat some hovis biscuits befor i went to bed?? Didnt feel it catch me though

rb1978
06-12-08, 11:33
If you've got a swollen sore cut on the roof on your mouth then chances are it's a swollen sore cut on the roof of your mouth and not mouth cancer ... :-)

DO NOT GOOGLE whatever you do. Never never never Google because whatever you type in, whatever symptom, for whatever part of the body, at least one result on the first page will have the word cancer in it. And you'll see that one and not the rest. You might not even click through to the site. You'll probably close the window in terror, log off and sit around convinced you've got it.

I say that because I used to do it myself and get into a frenzy over what I'd read.

From stupid googling last year I do know what the symptoms of mouth cancer are and they don't involve sore cuts. If I doesn't heal up in the next couple of weeks, you could see your dentist just to make sure there's no infection going on. But bear in mind cuts in the mouth can take a while to heal up because it's a moist area that you can't cover over and protect with a plaster.

You'll be fine...I'm sure of it. :-)

Maybe_Baby
06-12-08, 16:49
noo, dont google it!
i do it all the time, andit makes everything 1000000000 x worse sweetie

x

discogirl
08-12-08, 08:48
I'm a fellow googlist - DONT DO IT!!!

All you'll do is freak yourself out with imagining possible potential dieases, none of which you'll have anyway!

Step away from the computer!!!

Krakers
08-12-08, 08:59
Depends on your disorder.

I myself google all meds. I don't suffer HA, so its for info and doesn't freak me out.

I'd rather be informed than not, although I rarely use anything other than wikipedia for info. You can always find a horror story about anything at all if you look hard enough, so make sure if you do google then :

1 It won't adversely affect you
2 Its a reputable source

Message boards (apart from here!) are often a source of concern rather than enlightenment.

Krakers.