PDA

View Full Version : medication venlafaxine and zopiclone

sam_1
04-12-08, 14:33
hey
also i was wondering if anyone has taken effexor (venlafaxine) or sleepin tab zopiclone before and whether they worked for you? i have tried so many antidepressents and was wondering if anyone had any positive experiences with these.

thanks
sam

Smiley?
04-12-08, 14:50
My partner has taken venlafaxine for two separate periods before and had good results with it, although he did hit a wall with it recently and was just feeling flat/ok rather than improving so changed to something else.

We have both had zopiclone before. It definitely helps with sleep but does leave a nasty metallic taste in your mouth. Never had it long term though, so this side effect might improve over time??!!

See what others say, just remember that everybody reacts differently so give them a chance.

Yvonne
04-12-08, 14:58
Hi Sam

Most anti depressants do tend to give you insomnia, or defo trouble getting off to sleep. The thing is with a lot of the anti d's, you can feel really tired and weak during the day then when it comes to bedtime at night you just can't sleep. This of course is a symptom of both depression and anxiety but I do think the anti depressants exacerbate it.

I've been pretty good with the venlaflaxine sleep wise. I did have some problems at first and a friend let me have some zopiclone. It does have a nasty taste! When anxiety is high even the sleepers don't do much for you and my shrink had to give me some quetiepine at one stage.

If I have trouble sleeping I now take Nytol (not herbal) and I find it very good.

How long have you been on the venlaflaxine and what dosage if you don't mind me asking. Also, is it helping the depression.

sam_1
04-12-08, 15:08
im jus beginning the medication n he has prescribed both sleepin tab n venlafaxine. i hav taken quietepine on regular basis previously bt it jus knocked me out n wiped my personality so came off it. ill b taking 75mg of venlafaxine nd 7.5mg of zopiclone.

Yvonne
04-12-08, 17:05
Sam

I got off the Quetiepine as soon as I could - wow that stuff makes you feel weird.

You should be ok on the venlaflaxine, first two weeks may be a bit difficult with the initial start up side effects - I personally wasn't too bad. You should be fine with both meds. What anti depressant were you on before?

mabel
04-12-08, 19:40
Venlafaxine worked for me. I think its great. I normally take 75mg but if im having a rough time (like I am now!) I up it to 150mg. It seems to do the trick for me! Like all AD's they do take a few weeks to get working though so stick with them.

Mabel xxx

Gipsy
02-01-09, 17:13
I had my first panic/depression episode 10 years ago and was treated with citalopram, i got better but due to a violent relationship the panic attacks came back tenfold. im now on venlafaxine and was also taking zopiclone at the same time, sometimes just having one in the day to "come down" this isn't reccomended by the professionals but they dont know how crippling this disorder can be! im still on venlafaxine and take zolpidem sleepers, as the zopiclone left the most horrible taste in my mouth and effected everything i ate and drank, im getting on well with the two but i'm also on 10mg of diazipam, hope every one who suffers finds some peace x

jo61
04-01-09, 20:24
I took Effexor for about 18 months and it did nothing for me. Had to come off it and that was difficult. Everyone is different though. Was previously on Zopiclone which was the best sleeping pill ever for me. No withdrawal problems either. Don't take either any more though I am on a cocktail of other drugs lol

:hugs:

shakingleaf
16-01-09, 17:26
I just filled my script for zopiclone, seems I've had this before. It worked well so i'm hoping it does the same this time. I cant wait to get a good nights sleep.

purplehaze
16-01-09, 17:45
Venlaflaxine is one of the milder AD and is also used to treat anxiety. No great side effects but would say take it roughly the same time each day.
It will take a while to kick in but remember also plan how you want to move on. Medication supports you but you will need to do some work to get better.
Hope it all goes well for you

kevx

goldilocks
16-01-09, 18:36
Hi
Was on Zoplicone for 10 years - nothing major just a couple a month when I felt I needed to sleep well. They work amazing and will definately get you off to sleep but be careful - they are psychologically addictive. I got to the point where I knew if I wanted/needed a good sleep I would not get one without the pills. So big events without the pills became impossible.

I'm over it now - and am not suggesting that they are not good in the short term just don't take them regularly!

Hope this helps

Goldilocks xxxxx

sam_1
17-01-09, 17:27
I was just wondernig whether venlafaxine was one of the stronger AD or the weaker ones? i was under the impression AD were not stronger than each other, just worked in diff ways? jst was curious as a comment said they were weaker?

Smiley?
17-01-09, 21:42
I think venlafaxine is a stronger one, i was surprised when someone said it was weaker!! It is one of the ADs described as being for 'major Depression'.

Yvonne
18-01-09, 08:44
Pur[le

Venlaflazine one of the milder Ad's????? Not to my knowledge, it's up there with Mirtazepine as a major antidepressant according to everything I've read - unless you know different?? Please let me know.

Yvonne
18-01-09, 14:44
Sam

Go to www.crazymeds (http://www.crazymeds). American website but full of good info. Some meds are stronger than others - for example Venlaflaxine is an snri - so it not only works on the serotonim but also the noradreneline so it would be classed as stronger than an ordinary ssri. Also MAOI's are strong medications.