PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram and heart arrhythmias?

Sleepless999
04-12-08, 19:13
Just want to pick all your brains! I am in the final stages of benzo. withdrawal, and my worst symptom is PVC's when I am under ANY pressure at all. I get random ones and runs of random numbers - really scary! Anyway, it is obviously anxiety and I am considering 10mg Citalopram to calm me a little and to enable me to finish with benzos. completely (on 1mg Diazepam daily at present) My concern is that one of the side effects of Citalopram is palpitations and I couldn't take any more - does any one know of any "kind" SSRI's that may not do this to me? Don't fancy beta-blockers because I want my heart to function naturally. Would love some input - many thanks!:)

andrewc
04-12-08, 19:21
Hi Skippy

Sorry to hear youre not well. As for the questions about Citalopram the best person to ask is your doctor.
From experience I can tell you that benzos do not cure anything but like aspirins they relieve the symptoms for a while.
Citalopram does work. As for the side effects not everybody gets them certainly not on a start of 10mg which is a very small dose. Even if you do get some side effects it does not mean they would be pulpatations and they dont last long just a few days.

I stress again that your doctor could probably advise much better than anyone on this forum.

Best of luck

Andy

decca
05-12-08, 13:35
Hi Skippy,
I'm also in the last stages of Diaz. withdrawal ( 0.5mg per day) and also have a heart condition which involves arrhythmias and I'm pretty sure your Doc. will advise against SSRI's while you are withdrawing,they can take up to four weeks to have any effect and can make anxiety,PA'a and arrhythmias worse to start with,to offset this they usually prescribe Diazepam - not what you want right now.
I don't know your rate of withdrawal but the answer might be to make smaller cuts and take longer between them,apprently the last cuts are the most symptomatic ,I made the mistake of making 25% cuts every fortnight - boy did that hurt !.
You've probably read it but I've included the a link to the good old standard Ashton manual withdrawal guide just in case.
http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/index.htm

Best wishes,
Decca.

decca
05-12-08, 14:02
Hi again Skippy,
I'm probably teaching granny etc etc. but I see you're a theatre nurse and wondered if your PVC's are worse while you're in theatre ? - they can (have to be ) quite warm places can't they ? 20 - 24c I think - anyway I was wondering if your palps were linked to this,I know mine are always worse if I get to hot or dehydrated - just a thought.

Decca.

roziexwx
07-12-08, 14:20
Just want to pick all your brains! I am in the final stages of benzo. withdrawal, and my worst symptom is PVC's when I am under ANY pressure at all. I get random ones and runs of random numbers - really scary! Anyway, it is obviously anxiety and I am considering 10mg Citalopram to calm me a little and to enable me to finish with benzos. completely (on 1mg Diazepam daily at present) My concern is that one of the side effects of Citalopram is palpitations and I couldn't take any more - does any one know of any "kind" SSRI's that may not do this to me? Don't fancy beta-blockers because I want my heart to function naturally. Would love some input - many thanks!:)
hi, i am on 30 mgs of citalopram and the sole reason is because i had palpitations every day,my gp said to try them,as i was in a circle of palps led to anxiety so more palps,so more anxiety and so on,anyway i have had huge success with them,no more palps,i also suffered an m.i 4 years ago, so was a little concerned about taking the citalopram,anyway i need'nt have worried as i am fine,also the side effects were palp free, hope this helps..take care x