PDA

View Full Version : my story

janeybaby25
05-12-08, 10:21
Hiya all, just wanted to post this as I hope I am not confusing anyone when I reply to threads on matters to do with the heart. As I post that I have a heart condition, so I usually have experienced the tests that some people have on here. I just wanted to point out anyway, that I was born with my condition, my fears weren't founded when having tests due to anxiety. I never suffered from anxiety until last Jan & I have had my heart problems for 29 years!!! But I want to help folk on here like people have helped me in the past & if anyone has any questions, I am no Doc but I can advise them best I can. I don't have a different lifestyle to any of my friends or family. I can walk, talk, run, breathe properly, eat, drink, dance, laugh, drive. The only diff is, I have 2 scars on my chest, I take meds twice a day (which is nothing in my opinion) have a metal device in my chest (ICD, which is simlliar to a pacemaker) have to go to hospital every 6mths for a check up & they usually take one look at me & say right see you in 6mths and thats it! Oh and because of the metal in my chest, I can't take up welding! lol like I would want to anyway.... hehe. Anyway, my point is, if the docs are telling you everything is ok, you have to believe them. I know its easier said than done but accepting is part of recovering & if your fears are founded, then having a heart condition isn't the end of the world.

Take care all.

Jane. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx :hugs:

Cathy V
05-12-08, 12:02
Hi Jane. Thanks for sharing your story. The way ive always looked at it is that people who have a heart or health phobias just want to be reassured that their chest pains and wonky heartbeats are benign and not real, just as i imagine the people with a fear of cancer dont really want to be confronted by someone who actually has cancer, if you see what I mean, and im always a bit confused as to how someone with the real thing can advise people with health anxiety. But then that probably just me being sensitive about it (I do have health anx after all!)

But you are right when you say there is always a possibility that people can develop a real illness, and then they have to find ways of coping and living with it.

Is it possible for you to say if the anxiety you started to experience last january was connected to your heart trouble, or if it was a seperate issue?

Thanks
Cath xxx

janeybaby25
05-12-08, 12:20
I feel I can advise as I suffer from HA too. But if if people feel like me trying to help just 'cos I have the actual thing, I will stop if its upsetting people as this is not my intention at all.

Last Jan, my Grandad passed away & that kinda triggered everything off for me as he was a healthy man who died of a brian hemmorage. The a few days after the funneral, I was given some tablets by my GP for my IBS but the dose he gave me was too high & it made me go really funny & we had to call the ambulance. But 'cos nothing had ever happened like this had happened to me before, I had a massive panic attack and was afraid something was going on with my heart. Also, I was worried about my ICD firing (when my heart beats too much it gives me an electric shock) an 'cos I have never had this fire before I was worried about how that would feel too. Then 'cos these tablets had made me go 'funny' it kinda triggered off all panic & anxiety for me and I was always looking for something else wrong with me, when I had a twinge in my chest or in my back or in my head or anywhere else on my body, I was convinced it was all going to happen again. I feel almost about 95% back to my old self now but its taken a long time & have the odd set back. I had a lot of therapy & that helped me accept of what happened to my Grandfather being part of life & one of them things. To be honest, my heart gives me the least worry in my life as I know I am carefully monitored. I only advise people on heart related matters where I see fit, as a lot of people, say, my results are clear but I still think something is wrong. I try & reassure people by telling people Docs can tell the difference & you have to beleive them as I have been there myself by not believeing the professionals and also when people ask what does so & so test feel like, I will post as I know what it feels like.

But the last thing I want is to mislead people & only want to try & help. I just want to share my experiences as I feel I understand what they are going through, but if members think I am misleading them, I shall stop. Like i said, its the last thing I want.

Take care,
Jane.

Cathy V
05-12-08, 14:15
Thanks for the explanation Jane. I don't think for a minute anything you say is 'misleading' and sorry if thats the impression I gave. Youve obviously helped alot of people on nmp without necessarily going into detail about your own heart problems. I didnt even know you had a problem until you told that new member last night.

I think you're right, in that you can still advise people without scaring them too much lol!

Take care you too
Cath xxx :)

janeybaby25
05-12-08, 17:15
Hiya, no I didn't think you thought I was being misleading, I just hoped it wasn't coming accross as that! I would never tell people the ins & outs of what I suffer from unless they ask. I have had some pm's from this post saying thank you, so I am glad I am doing some good & helping people