PDA

View Full Version : Breast lumps.

Jan63
06-12-08, 13:42
I had a brilliant week last week and felt great and thought I was really on the road to recovery from this awful health anxiety. I started Citalopram 2 days ago just half a tablet and the first day was fine but last night I read on another forum about someone with breast cancer and so I immediately started checking for lumps and found some. I have one in each breast round about the same place. My o.h says that I have had these for years around my period time but I can't remember if I have or not or if he's just trying to reasure me. I had a breast lump removed in 1994 and it was a breast mouse or something like that but I am terrified of having to go through that again cos it was a two week wait to find out if it was cancer or not. My periods have gone weird lately and I seem to be getting one every two months instead of every month but I put that down to the menopause because I'm 45.

As soon as I found the lumps last night a weird coldness ran through my body and I was sick all night.:weep: I feel lousy today because I didn't sleep much last night. I am on day 39 of my period now so goodness knows when it will come or if the lumps are related or not. I'm scared to go to the doctor too because I have been a few times over the last few weeks and I think they are getting sick of me keep going now. The doctor I saw last Thursday didn't seem very patient with me and just wanted to get me out I think cos they were busy - I spent longer queing up at reception to give my name in than I did actually in her surgery.

Does anybody else have lumps like this? They are basically in the same position in each breast. I had a full blood count a few weeks ago and it was fine so would cancer of the breast shown up in that does anybody know.

Please answer if you can help me cos I feel so desperate at the moment.:weep:

The doctor did say that the Citalopram would make me more anxious at first so I don't know whether this is partly responsible or not.:shrug:

NumbForest
06-12-08, 14:16
Please try not to worry. I have had these before and I totally freaked out. I went to the doctor and found out they were just lumps were just something that happens to a women when she is on or due on her period. I really would not worry about it, but if you really want to put your mind at rest go to the doctors, that is what they are there for. hope your feeling bette soon x

Jan63
06-12-08, 14:34
Thanks for replying.:hugs:
My o.h says I always get them before my period and I suppose its true but its not knowing when my period is actually going to happen that is worrying me cos I can't put it down to that if I don't know.:huh: It would be unusual to have breast cancer though in both breasts in the same place wouldn't it?:huh:
I wish I could have them chopped off then I wouldn't have to worry any more.:weep:

AnnieMags
06-12-08, 15:06
Hi Jan

I have just tried to post a reply but the screen disappeared halfway through so not sure if my half-finished post was submitted or not. Apologies if it was and I am repeating myself!

I can totally sympathise with you. Breat self-examination and breast awareness drive you crazy because you ALWAYS find something! Breast tissue is after all not jelly-like, there are lumps and bumps in there that are quite common or in any case harmless (cysts etc) but how are we to know the difference? I have had many referrals to breast clinics over the years, for ultrasounds and mammograms and the occasional biopsy, but so far all has thankfully been well. Nonethelss, every time I discover a 'new' lump I always think, "Is this the one that is going to be different?'

If you still have periods, it is true that the hormonal changes during the cycle do affect breast tissue and you are more likely to have bigger and more painful lumps in the weeks leading up to your period. In your particular case now, as you say, it would be very unlikely indeed for it to be cancer in both breasts in the same place!

It can be hard, I know, but it is important to try to keep things in perspective. Focus on the fact that 9 out of 10 breast lumps are NOT cancer.

We are not helped in this particular health anxiety by the extremely high profile breast cancer has in the media. My advice to you is that next time you see a headline relating to it, resist the urge to click. I have stopped reading about it and find that I do not obsess quite as much. :)

I hope you manage to get the anxiety down to a level where you can still enjoy your weekend. Remember - all is likely to be well! :)

Jan63
06-12-08, 15:51
Thanks so much Annie.:hugs:

Yes cancer is everywhere you look now isn't it - I just wish they would stop going on about it.:weep: They have posters for mouth cancer in the dentist, breast cancer in the doctors, lung cancer adverts on the radio - it never stops.:weep:

NumbForest
06-12-08, 16:05
I never know when my periods are going to start, I can normally tell by these lumps and the fact that My anxiety gets so much worse when i am due on. I will worry about sooooo much when am due on, there is not a single minuite of the day that I don't worry. This is commen in people suffering from any form of anxiety as your hormones are everywhere at that time, so that coupled with this being the first time you've felt the lumps, it is no wonder you are worrying. And yer cancer is every where you look, I get they are trying to arn people about it but th truth is, it is just scaring people. Don't lt what you read get into your head because the truth is, if this was cancer you would have many more symptoms other than just the lump. Sorry I aint much use, but i do hope i have helped. Ty to keep ypurself calm and distract yourself from the thoughts. X

Jan63
06-12-08, 16:27
:hugs: Thanks Samm.

I just wish I had had the guts to ask the doctor to check them when I was there a couple of months ago because I am hopeless checking them myself.:weep: It's going to be so hard getting an appointment on Monday now - goodness knows when I will get in.

amu
07-12-08, 17:27
Jan,

just one thing to add: cancer rarely comes symmetrically, and even if it was in both breasts, no way would it be at the same place! And if they are even the same size, I would be very surprised if they turned out to be anything but normal tissue. :hugs:
I get a lump too, in just one of my breasts before my period.
With regards to the media and breast cancer... this actually just drives me away from wanting to check myself, because they seem to suggest everyone gets this:mad: Instead of so much money spent on media campaigns (especially shocking ones) they should introduce for example a six-monthly manual breast check-up for everyone, could be done by the GP or a nurse.

Amu

Jan63
07-12-08, 17:33
Yes I agree Amu - why can't they do breast check ups at the doctors. They do smears so why not breast checks.:shrug: The lump in my left breast is bigger than the right one though so it is worrying me although I have been poking and prodding it so maybe this has made it go bigger.

amu
08-12-08, 09:38
If you poke it it won't go away until after your period and then you'll worry that it wasn't because of your period after all. So don't poke it :)
My Mum has a permanent lump in her breast and it's benign, she's had it for 20 years or so.
Why can't they do the breast checks at the same time as the smears? It would virtually mean no extra cost. I'm not talking about expensive ultrasound, just a trained person checking manually.

Jan63
08-12-08, 16:21
Thanks Amu.:hugs: :hugs:

Well I've been to the docs and he has felt my lump and he thinks it may be a fibrodoma which is what I had about 14 years ago. He says it moves around and is smooth which is a good sign. I have to go back for a check on it in two weeks and if it's still there they will refer me to the hospital for further tests but he says there are 'no alarm bells' ringing with him at the moment so I feel a lot happier.:)

amu
08-12-08, 16:49
Great news about the softness of the lump, I'm sure it will be fine. :) I'm glad you saw the doctor instead of unnecessary worrying for a long time!:hugs:

Amu

Jan63
08-12-08, 17:24
Thanks again Amu.:hugs:

Yes I was in two minds whether to go or not and its really unusual to get in the doctors on a Monday at our doctors because they are shut all weekend so everybody wants appointments. I got one of the best doctors there too so I was really lucky - I'm glad I went now.:)

petmad
08-12-08, 19:00
I get lumps and bumps and painful breasts during the month, I got my doc to feel lumps many years ago and he said they were fine, but how do we know? Its horrible having to feel we should check ourselves but like you say not being experts how do we know?
I then worry if one looks different to the other!
But I get paranoid about anything, but especially cancer and that horrible shiver and coldness and burning face sensation is just awful...

x

Jan63
08-12-08, 19:26
If I'm okay after this I'm going to get my doctors to check mine regularly I think because I haven't a clue what is a suspicious lump.:huh: