PDA

View Full Version : I managed a 30 mile drive to Lytham today!!

BasilCat
06-12-08, 22:33
Hi everyone. I had a good day today and for the first time in the 2.5 years since my breakdown, I drove the car 30 miles to Lytham and back with my 14 year old daughter for company!! I was daring myself all morning to do it. I have not driven "far" because of the DP and also I didnt want to get half way there, or even all the way there, and not feel up to driving back or not want to do anything when I got there. Anyway I have wanted to do this for ages and today seemed to be the "right day" to try it. And although I still didnt feel 100%, I did well and walked all round Lytham then came back to Morrisons on Preston Dock and did some shopping, then had a Mc Donalds at Preston Dock too! Plus there was no-one to drive me home if I didnt want to. So I felt it was a risk. But I was doing well and it never even crossed my mind when I got to Lytham that I didnt want to drive the 30 miles back to Southport. So all my worrying about that happening had been pointless!! I feel quite proud of myself now because during the first 6 or 9 months after the breakdown, I wouldnt even get in a car, let alone drive one. Also I wouldnt have dared go so far with one or both my kids in case I felt rough but I coped really well and feel that that has been another good breakthrough.

Shirley

orangecrush
06-12-08, 22:43
well done :D :yahoo: :D sounds like you had a really nice day out with your daughter, and you should feel proud of yourself..Heres wishing you loads more great days out xxx

Patty
06-12-08, 23:07
Hi Basilcat,:)

That's fantastic news!!! Well done!!! :yesyes: :yesyes:

I am so pleased to hear of your success. :yahoo: :yahoo:

Best wishes xx :bighug1:

BasilCat
07-12-08, 12:52
Hi OrangeCrush, Patty and Tetley, Thanks for your kind words about my trip yesterday. When I got home I felt like a miracle had happened!! I still wasnt 100% but I was good enough for my daughter not to be able tell any difference in me and I felt ok to walk around the town too, also to go in Morrisons in Preston as I said before. It was such a revelation as I had worried about doing that (or a similar trip without hubby to take over the driving) for ages. Yesterday I thought that if I didnt try it, I would never known how I would deal with it or cope with it. So I went way past my comfort zone. Hubby couldnt drive out to get me if I didnt want to drive back as he was with our son at Old Trafford! I was way past my taxi boundary too and there was no-one else to help if need be so I was really out there on my own yesterday with my daughter. I prayed that we would be ok and we were.

Shirley

Anxious_gal
07-12-08, 21:38
well done! x x x x x

BasilCat
08-12-08, 11:05
Thanks mishel. I had been building up to doing the trip for a while, or a similar one anyway. It was a beautiful day to do it too. At least I have proved that if I do drive out of my comofort zone, I can handle it and drive back as well. Really, when I set off from home, I had no idea how I would cope! I was so happy that it worked for me.

Shirley

PUGLETMUM
08-12-08, 12:37
:yahoo: WELL DONE - SO PLEASED FOR YOU:yesyes:

BasilCat
08-12-08, 13:03
Thanks Emmas. I know when we got to Lytham, I stepped gingerly out of the car and looked round me and although I wasnt 100% I knew I was going to be ok. I really had no idea how I would feel when I got there and I didnt want to feel rough and upset my daughter but that never happened. We just went round the shops and it was a real treat to be there again. I can see that next year, I will probably be able to drive to my parents in Yorkshire again. Thats 60 miles there and 60 miles back. Going to Lytham was a 60 mile round trip. It was a great step forward though wasnt it and it proved I can do it and enjoy it when I get there too.

Shirley

PUGLETMUM
08-12-08, 14:01
:yesyes: yes shirley - you have proved you can do it, and that having any sort of mental health problem, although nasty at the time can be overcome, and you can lead a 'normal' life again - all best wishes to you for a happy and healthy future:hugs:

titch
08-12-08, 15:47
Well done.... 30 miles is a looonggg drive especially if its your first looonnng trip...i dont think we've spoke before but well done im proud of you..it just goes to show that the build up of anxiety and worry is always the worse!! xxx

BasilCat
08-12-08, 17:06
Hi Emmas, Yes mental health problems can be overcome. I have overcome this 4 times before and I will do it again this time too. Things will get back to "normal" I am sure. I felt virtually normal on Saturday given where I was and what I was doing!! Having said that I have felt the DP again today but I keep on telling myself that its nothing and cannot harm me and to just get on with what I am doing. It always passes and is never the same the next day. I wish you a happy and healthy future too.

Shirley

BasilCat
08-12-08, 17:10
Hi Titch, Thanks for your kind words. Yes Saturdays trip was my first long trip (in 2.5 years) without hubby to take over the driving if need be. I was well out of my comfort zone but I did it and the DP wasnt that bad either. If it had have been I would never have set off in the first place. You are so right, the build of anxiety and worry about doing it was far worse than actually doing it and it just goes to show that things dont always go the way you think they will. I had worried for ages about "What if I cant cope" but I did.

Shirley

Veronica H
08-12-08, 17:52
:D This is brilliant news Shirley,
I have to say of all the things I have overcome so far the car still gives me problems, so there is hope for me then. Well done.

Veronica

BasilCat
08-12-08, 18:28
Hi Veronica, Yes there is definitely hope for you with your driving. I have just sent you a PM.

Shirley