PDA

View Full Version : How often?

Magik
07-12-08, 06:22
I'm trying to figure out if what I have would be considered normal or not...since I have panic attacks or anxiety pretty much all day and it's starting to really worry me now. Wanted to see how often people have them and maybe how long they typically last for. Sort of like research for myself. Thanks in advance.

june
07-12-08, 11:36
i have ticked once a day
But it can happen lots more often.
At the moment I feel on the verge of 'something' i have had a quiet few days and i am not used to this - my mind keeps looking for a problem and then i begin to get anxious.
I am just kinda recovering from 3 months of almost constant anxiety and occasional massive panic attacks.
at the moment i am sort of Ok - until the next time?????
Best wishes
june
ps i have just answered another poll about 'worst symptoms' (have a look)June

Magik
07-12-08, 20:28
Ok, Thanks June I'll have a look at that as well. Mine's been going on for 6 months now and it doesn't seem to be getting any easier. Going to have to start taking the Zoloft, after all it looks like. Keep chickening out, but I don't seem to have any other choice in the matter. Thanks for voting and giving me an idea. Feel almost like a "Leper" with how bad they've been lately.

missbecky
08-12-08, 03:11
Hey :-)

Although I feel general anxiety most days my actual attacks tend to go through phases of being not so bad and then having attacks every day.

They tend to get more frequent if there is a change in my life, for example things like moving house, but even things like my boyfriend being away for a few days or taking a new medication can set them off for a week or so.

I guess my attacks last about 15 minutes generally, but there's the build up beforehand and that can be anything from 5 or 10 minutes to hours.

Even if your attacks are bad at the moment you might find that they ease off if you get into a regular routine, i don't know if you already have a sort of routine? but i find it quite reassuring.

I hope that this perhaps helps a little bit, good luck and i really hope you are feeling better again soon. keep us posted :-)
xxx

Krakers
09-12-08, 01:44
Hi Magik - I'm always anxious, but I rate it on a scale of 0 to 10. 0 = nothing wrong with the world today, 10 = Panic Attack.

I haven't had a PA since I stopped drinking spirits over a year ago (hallelujah). My background anxiety permenantly runs at a 2. I rarely go higher these days (unless I get new meds), but I have been Benzo'd up for almost 2 years.

The only time mine rises significantly now is if I argue with people. With a stranger I'll hit a 5 - can manage that. With family I may hit an 8. I've tried to explain to my fiancee for a while that when I say "I can't continue arguing, I need to be alone" that its no reflection on her its that I don't want to push myself to a PA.

Its difficult for people who don't suffer to understand sometimes, especially in the heat of an argument. I wouldn't wish a PA on anyone - at one time (spirits again) I was waking with them. What I did to relieve them (drink more spirits) just ensured that I was stuck in groundhog day.

Theres los of stressors that can contribute to your situation :-

The top 4 foods include sugar, coffee, alcohol and chocolate.

Thats just one example, theres lots more from Vit B deficiency to depression.

Social factors are also indicative from money worries to family relationships.

What I'm tring to say is theres no hard and fast rule. However if these episodes are frequent you really need to see your GP.

The first step to recovery is *always* recognising there's a problem.

Krakers.

Magik
09-12-08, 02:41
Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah, why I'm worried is because as far as I know, I'll just be sitting having fun or watching tv, and it comes on for no reason whatsoever. I've cut down on caffeine, but I started drinking pepsi again, so I'm going to cut that out. And I'm going to try to stop smoking for the millionth time, which I feel might be contributing to my "breathing" problem, even though they checked my heart and lungs already, and said they were perfectly fine. The chocolate part, is going to be the hardest I think.

I am on vitamin b-12 supplements as well as potassium. MY Gp wants me to go on Zoloft..but I'm still too chicken to try them, I swear, someone needs to be with me constantly with all these meds, and I'm not even sure what I'm so afraid of, well, convulsions is one thing. Never had one and sometimes, it feels like I might. x.x

Does anyone else get like a really stuffed up nose before the difficulty breathing thing? Like your throat is closing up too?

june
09-12-08, 14:33
Good book on breathing problems (hyperventilation - common with anxiety) by Dinah Bradley.
BELIEVE me I know that a panic attack hits like a bolt of lightening - just when you are enjoying your fav TV programme or reading a book.
I have NO answers as to why it happens like that but that is how mine work - it is very scary because you never really relax you are always waiting for the next one to strike
Best wishes
june

never2late
10-12-08, 15:31
This time around, I haven't had a panic attack since late July of 2008. Knock on wood.

Unfortunately, that last one put me into the hospital with rapid irregular heart beat and very high (stroke level) blood pressure.

That was the first time I was ever taken to the hospital in 52 years.

The good part of that is that they ran every test that one could think of to check for my overall cardiovascular health (and ran up over a $10,000 bill doing it).

But at least now I know where I stand on heart-health. I'm on a low-dose of blood pressure and cholesterol meds . . . nothing unusual for someone 53 years old. Plus, I know that these meds help to protect my heart now.

I could have been someone (like millions) who are walking around without any protection, although they need it and don't know it . . . yet.

It was after that last episode that I felt a "shift" in my thinking about anxiety and panic, and that it was never going to control my life again. Ever.

june
11-12-08, 14:30
:yesyes: I will also Knock on wood for you :D

It was very expensive money wise BUT Oh my goodness what peace of mind it has given you :yesyes:
Very best wishes to you
june

Magik
11-12-08, 21:17
That book sounds like something I'll ask for for Xmas. I'm about ready to try anything to get this all to stop, but meds are of course, still the scariest thing for me. I still haven't started the Zoloft and then I made an appointment with my dentist to have a tooth more than likely removed, and I am scared of the dentist, ever since two days afterwards I wound up in the er with a very scary and dangerous potassium level x.x Which started this whole thing, I'm thinking.

But maybe going back and having a good experience will get me back to being better. If only it was that easy. Thanks June, it sounds like you and I have that in common, still trying to keep my mind off of dreading when the next one will happen and it really is as if trying to "teach" an old mind new tricks on how to dealing with this all.

Maybe I took your panic attacks, Never xD Odd, that's when mine started. But Im glad to hear things are going well for you and thanks for the responses again <3

dmckinney
02-01-09, 01:06
I have not had a PA in almost 2 weeks but I had PA for 3 weeks and there were pretty constant. I tried taking Natural Supplement called Holy Basil which prevented the PA from coming full blown however prior to taking meds they would come 1-3 times a day very weird but around the same time of the day. With my PA sometimes I would not even fear anything and they would just come from no where pay attention to what you are doing at the time the PA come along to better help you prevent them from coming on. Sometimes it can be caused by noise, certain smells, and etc. Good Luck!