PDA

View Full Version : In addition to hello (para 2)

driverpm
23-06-05, 10:36
Hi all,
Stumbled accross this site yesterday and very glad that i did - like most (probably all) people living with panic & general/health anxiety i have found it so hard to believe that I'm not the only one. looking back i guess i've been prone to anxiety all my life, with a primary teacher even questioning the stories my mum would read me as i was at times 'a very worried little boy'. i recognise in myself that i am lucky/cursed with a vivid imagination, but it is only recently (8 years after my first full panic attack) that i have begun to belive that the physical manifestations of panic and anxiety aren't actually the symptoms of some underlying pathology that is going to snuff me out at any minute - i STILL don't always believe. Like most people here i have good days and bad days but reading the testamony of others is a real comfort. I don't meant that i take delight in the misery of others, only that in the knowledge that so many people share the same feelings/emotions/physical sensations that i do helps me to realise that i am not cracking up or that "it'd be just my luck to have some fantastically rare and therefore undiagnosed & exotic terminal complaint".
Anyway, not read this thought here yet (but bound to be here as there are SO many threads) but if you are new to this journey of getting to know yourself that we must all embark on to feel we're living whole lives again: remember that it can be helpful and empowering to claim ownership of yourself - warts and all

As an addition to my original post i should explain how i've been feeling (sorry new to this!). So i hope you're sitting comfortably......

It all stated on the way back from a graduation ceremony (1997 aged 24) - lovlely day but hot and tiring and a long drive. nearly home and started to feel very odd - hot, dizzy and a strange pounding heart rhythm - didn't last long (10 seconds) but it made me gasp for breath and have to stop the car. went to GP next day as i was a bit scared by it. He had a listen said all was fine and not to worry. Over the next few months i noticed that i was increasinly tired but restless and worried about it, continually checking my pulse and hearing/feeling my pulse - particularly at night when i would notice skipped or extra beats and the odd fluttery sensation together with hot and cold flushes, muscle aches, particularly in my back, shoulders and arms. I would also be a bit shakey and 'yawney'. again i returned to the doctors had a general check up bloods/urine/ ECG & 24 hr ECG. didn't find anything (of course i felt fine when being tested so assumed that they had missed something) generallly the only thing to comment on was a touch of bradycardia (slow heart - probably as i was quite fit). after about 3 years of feeling this way and burying it and trying to avoid anything that i perceived might trigger it or places i didn't want it to happen (crowds, cinemas, buses etc...) i did start on the road to recovery and had good periods where i was 'my old self' again and believed that it was probably all anxiety and panic. UNFORTUNATELY i then had an episode of atrial fibrilation (AF, where the top chambers of the heart flutter) and this was REALLY scary - very fast and irregular rhythm i was in hospital for 2 days etc... but it sorted itself out and. futher tests were done (echo & exercise ECG) and i was given a clean bill of health and told that 'these things happen' occasionaly. i was put on beta blockers (2.5mg bisoprolol) to stop the heart racing if i did go into AF again and i kind of got things back together. but i think underlying it all i really still didn't believe i was ok and that the doctors had missed something or not really taken it seriously, so the old health anxiety and panic resummed and has held a fairly firm grip on me on and off ever since. I am now begining to know myself a lot better and know that the opportunity to dwell on things is not a good thing (so i keep busy) but increasingly i can control things by recognising the early signs (tightening of throat, tiredness, light sensitivity and deperso

seh1980
23-06-05, 11:37
Hello and welcome aboard!! :)

I hope that we can offer you some good support and advice. Everyone here is really friendly so I'm sure you will find it helpful.

Sarah :D

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

EmmaJane
23-06-05, 12:09
Hello and welcome

Feel free to PM me, if you want to talk.

Emma xx

Keep focused, keep positive.

chucklehound
23-06-05, 13:30
Hi and welcome to the forum.

All the best

Feel free pm me if you want to chat

steno -x-

kairen
23-06-05, 16:05
Hi and Welcome to the site, as you will have read lots of people with the same symptoms and yes its a comfort to see your not alone but sad also that so many people suffer too,

this is a brilliant site and you will get lots of support here

take care

kairen x

seh1980
23-06-05, 17:40
hello again Phil,

The symptoms you describe are very common for people who suffer from anxiety/panic attacks. I also become very pessimistic at times and often expect the worse. However, the more things you achieve and the more days you go without having a panic attack, the more confident you will feel. It's very normal to have good and bad patches. The aim is to make sure you have more good patches than bad and soon your good patches will last longer. You seem to have quite a few negative thoughts. This is also quite common. Our minds often go on spirals and make us think that things are getting worse and worse and worse. Maybe you could find something to do for when these feelings take over. It often helps if you throw yourself into something else as our brains can't concentrate on two things at once. Let us know how you're getting on, ok?

Sarah :D

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

driverpm
23-06-05, 17:54
Hi Sarah,
thanks for your post. I reckon you hit my nail fairly well on the head there. i think that the throwing yourself into things is spot on as when i am busy (i.e. thesis writing/exam time/exercising/teaching, generally taking control of things) i rarely get anxious. it's odd that things that can typically induce anxiety, things like flying/going new places/public speaking make me nervous but in a healthy positive way, i don't seem to worry about 'big' things unduly. it is generally when i have time to reflect that anxiety strikes and escalates (i.e. lying in bed). As for the negative thoughts: i sometimes wonder if i generally think/ try and analyse too much and therefore have the scope for more negative ones. I guess i probably just focus on them more? Also i find that i can sometimes do multiple things and still have the underlying internal monologue of worry/doubt. consequently i don't always do the multiple things that well or remember that much about them. Any help with focussing/committing to 'the now' might be good?
ttfn
phil

Meg
23-06-05, 18:28
Hello Phil,

Welcome.

It seems to me that you're a good way down tbe recovery journey and are at the stage where you are good at pasting over these negative spirals mainly with distraction- which is great.

This is fabulous and is the second step- the first being recognising triggers and anxiety symptoms for what they are.

The third and final step to conquer is being able to take each thought/ worry/ symptom and being able to easily rationalize/prioritiize them so you can effectively 'triage' them. You seem to already do this well for presentations and public speaking - you know they are stress inducing so can cope well with any symptoms.

So if you get a heart palpitation its common for us to freeze for a few seconds and then I my way of triaging it was to count to 30 and assess again. If I was still standing and concious in the 30 secs I knew I was not in VF or anything terminal and would then say 'ectopic' and put it behind me and move on ....
My Mum and Mum before her get spontaneous SVT so I'm aware that it might be me one day.

These days though, I am no longer concerned with it at all. I'll deal with it when it happens.

Triaging thoughts can also be applied to any other worry - catagorize/ risk manage them into outside chance, possible or probable outcome and plan for the two most probables..Do not let yourself dwell and use all your energy on the most extreme remotest possibilities.

Once you can rationalize these thought processes you'll be able to lower the constant underlying anxiety about things.

Another way is simply to dismiss anything you've had before as trivial - dizzy - had before - survived then- no difference now - dismiss.

Some people learn to move from what ifs' to 'so whats' quite easily with some practice - others never manage, so triageing is the next most effective .

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

jill
23-06-05, 18:35
Hi Phil

Welcome to the site,

LOVE JILLXX

Karen
23-06-05, 19:06
Hi Phil

Welcome to the forum.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

driverpm
24-06-05, 10:28
Thanks Meg,
All sounds like good advice and triage is something i think i was slowly on the way to achieving through trial and error. Nice to give it a title though and comforting to hear that it can be effective, i aim now to find things that will work best for me. Also i have a follow-up consultation with a cardiologist the date of which came through the post yesterday - quite looking forward to discussing my current situation, as i''ve never actually been diagnosed with anxiety or panic. Finally, i have had a pretty good 48 hours since finding the NoMorePanic forum - amazing what a bit of support/ personal acceptance and understanding can do, eh?
all the best
phil

Meg
24-06-05, 15:14
You're already doing well - shout if you nede any help with any specific issues

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

nomorepanic
25-06-05, 16:34
Phil

Hiya - just wanted to welcome you to the forum. I have just got back from a week away so catching up on posts.

Lovely to have you here.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"