PDA

View Full Version : Removing members

Nibbles
07-12-08, 17:49
It has been suggested recently that members who wish to have their account deleted should have their account left open for 24 hours before being removed. A poll is attached to this thread and is anonymous so feel free to vote.

Here are a few technical details to bear in mind before voting:

Removed users aren't banned and their posts remain.
Removed users can return at any time. To do so they contact an admin and they will reinstate the account.
Members can leave without having their account removed if they wish.
Members will not be removed until it has been ascertained that it is definitely what the member wishes.

nomorepanic
07-12-08, 17:53
The poll is at the top of this post.

marie1974
07-12-08, 18:27
i think it depends really if they are certain or not, mayb if they ask for it straight away then do it but if they prefer to wait 24hours and agree to that then do that.

i really think it depends to be honest on the individual

u all do a fab job by the way and we all know how hard it is when we have our own problems too. hugs everyone xxxxx

Granny Primark
08-12-08, 12:51
For me the reason why I posted on here was cus I was on a real downer.
I felt useless to my family and got to the stage where I felt it was unfair of me to come on here and purely ask for help and advice when Id reached the stage where I couldnt think for myself let alone help anyone else.
It wasnt to seek attention or sympathy.
However the support I recieved in the prior 24 hours made me realise that I needed this site and the members and that even tho I felt in a state of mind where I was feeling totally worthless they actually thought I should stay cus perhaps I still could give help and support to other members.
I think giving members 24 hours to rethink if they really want to delete their account is a good idea.
Sometimes we do or say things we come to regret later when weve got our heads and feelings sorted.

Krakers
08-12-08, 12:56
Please see http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=40478

I'm not voting as I do not wish to provide data to whoever raised the initial question.

This is a topic for Admins and admins only. Oh, and Nic before she tells me off again !

Krakers.

jodie
08-12-08, 14:04
krackers

this is a poll for members,admin,and mods but if you feel you don't want to take part you don't have to at all !

i don't think you needed to put that link on this thread in fact i don't think you need to be making as much fuss about all this as you are there is no big deal here .
i think it is good that the admin team are asking for members info on this as this site is for members ,admin and mods alike.

jodix

Alabasterlyn
08-12-08, 14:17
I do think everyone should be given 24hrs to give them the opportunity to change their minds. There are times when people get very upset or stressed and lash out by saying they want to quit, but often when they calm down they realise they have made a mistake and regret that decision.

To be honest I'm not sure why so many do seem to be leaving lately and why they always feel the need to tell everyone. I would have thought it's just as easy to stop posting or PM the Moderators to tell them. At least that way other members aren't getting drawn into long debates about the upset that ensues each time someone posts to say they are leaving.

Krakers
08-12-08, 14:17
Jodie - I refrained from posting back to your previous post as I do not believe it would benefit anyone.

However - I ask this 1 question :

Of what relevance does it make if its removal is immediate, 3 hours, 12 hours, 24 hours or 2 weeks ? I find the question benahl and your reference to my "fuss" a further derogatory comment.

Just to clarify - I have ultimate respect for the mods, admins and of course the woman who makes all this possible, Nic. I am in no way trying to undermine anything that the unsung heroes behind the scenes do at their own time and expense.

I am a believer in free debate and to be allowed (within reason) to express what I feel. If someone disagrees with me that is fine, but to state that my feeling is invalid will only alienate, not rubber stamp someone elses opinion.

This is neither the place or time for a us v them debate as I believe in this site more than anything as theres a high chance it has actually saved my life.

If you wish to correspond with me further then please PM me.

Krakers.

june
08-12-08, 14:32
I voted for the 24 hours

I think granny Primark gave the perfect answer, when people are feeling down it is a sad fact that they make snap judgements.
Thinking time is needed there.

==========
BUT if there is a case that Nic and the admin staff think a removal is necessary then they must act as they see fit.

We have to trust them to look after our interests.
Best wishes
june

sunshine-lady
08-12-08, 23:25
Think it's a good idea to give people 24 hours as we can all make rash decisions at times.

Krakers
09-12-08, 00:24
My intention is to inform, not to offend :

The site is registered under the DPA (Data Protection Act) as its run from a UK server and is UK based.

The law sets down strict guidelines as to when a personal request should be acted on and actioned.

What it looks like is I've missed something thats gone on previously. Hardly suprising because I usually disappear for months at a time and return when I need my good old security blanket (*snuggles NMP*).

If I have missed something then please forgive me. If I haven't then I really can't see why it matters. I don't believe IP addresses are banned apart from misconduct, so if someone does wish to leave they can be back again tomorrow whatever limits are imposed.

To be honest, I'd hate to think of Nic on Christmas day after far too much turkey (or is that chocs?) having to run to her PC because someone has decided that they wish to leave. With all due respect, she may not even know.

I believe the original question was asked by someone relatively new. I make no bones about the fact I'm an out and out suspicious person. What better way to gather data for an 'A' level or year 1 degree essay than to let other people provide the stats ?

Once again, if anyone finds my POV skewed or just plain wrong, then I apologise yet again.

Krakers.

Cathy V
09-12-08, 00:42
I must admit that i'm a little overwhelmed by the seriousness of this thread. Is it for real? Are we actually voting on this subject? and are members really affected by this to the point of debate? wow...we've come along way since i first joined if this subject attracts enough attention to start a poll. Compare this to someone suffering deep depression and asking for help....slots into place for me anyway.

Krakers
09-12-08, 01:06
Hi Cathy - I come accross all authoritarian sometimes, but thats just me being a pedant and with a touch of OCD, someone who is a stickler for correctness.

My first reaction to this and prior threads was itshouldn't be a poll at all. Let those who maintain the site use their best judgement for the wellbeing of all. After all, they've done a cracking job so far.

I whole heartedly agree with you. NMP is where I come to escape, not to be overwhelmed by the current PC trend.

Having said that I'm my own worst enemy. I still need to learn when to keep my gob shut :)

I love helping users and the reciprocation of others and the empathy I receive in return here help me through what otherwise might be a bad day.

I appreciate greatly this site for what it has given me and will cease to post on topics that are not of an informative nature to fellow sufferers.

Krakers.

Cathy V
09-12-08, 01:13
Hi krakers. My reply wasn't aimed at you in particular, but at the whole thing. I remain baffled.

Krakers
09-12-08, 01:21
Hi Cathy - I've been sent to the naughty corner already for posting links to other threads, so will not repeat my mistake again.

I said earlier that Its likely I missed some previous event, so its likely you didn't get that memo either ;)

Krakers.

eeyorelover
09-12-08, 03:04
The question was brought up on the forum whether or not we - the admins- either remove a user upon request too quickly or leave the user active for too long after they ask to be removed so we thought in all fairness that we would ask members in a poll to see whether we should put a time frame on it.
xxx
Sandy

Granny Primark
09-12-08, 06:59
This has all blown up out of proportion.
How many times when we are feeling very low and vulnerable do we make decisions that we come to regret later?
I feel guilty now for the post that I put on about me wanting to leave.
But it was done when I was at my lowest and just felt I was neither use nor ornament to either my family, friends or nmp members.
There needs to be a cooling off period so that members who are at their most vulnerable have time to assess the situation they are in and if need be change their minds.
Please dont lets have this bickering.
We are all here to help each other.

jodie
09-12-08, 10:06
hiya

i just feel the need to say again ....why is it such a problem it is just a poll and at the end of it we will see what ppl think about the matter ...no big deal...
people may be upset one day and say they are leaving then sleep on it and think of i want to stay so i think rather than delighting there profile etc it is easier to keep it open a little while .....i can not see it will do any harm and if the person says no i defo want to go then fine if they stay fine :doh:

jodie x

marie1974
09-12-08, 10:13
hiya lynne, dont feel guilty hun and i agree that with some people a cool off period is great, but i feel u need to go with the individual cos everyone is different.

some people like janey it seems are happy to go and want account deleted straight away which is fine and some need time out, so i dont think u can really decide one way or another really as each case is different.

jodie
09-12-08, 10:22
hi

i think for the majority you could say 24hrs and if anyone says like janey no i want it doing now then ok

jodie

Oceanblue
09-12-08, 10:47
Well,.. I've put 24hr period before deletion....:shrug:

tracy.splosh
09-12-08, 12:25
Hi everyone

I just thought i would let you know my vote was I dont mind what decision is made.

I voted that way because if you ask to have all your details removed immediately then the admins can do that, if you want 24hrs they will let you do that and for instance if you want to come back then guess what.... you can do that too!!!!!!!!!

I have to say though that i did like the admins doing the poll as at least it shows they are asking for the members views, which is always appreciated im sure.

Just a thought though, is there one admin responsible for deleting accounts etc or can anyone of the admins do it? Maybe it would be an idea to let members know which person to contact if they want there details changed/deleted and then they can go to one particular person instead of having to post on the forum, that way we wouldnt have these threads about wanting to leave etc. Just a thought.

Love Tracy

eeyorelover
09-12-08, 13:22
Any admin can do it so all a member would need to do is PM one of us and we would take care of it.

I wasn't trying to sound harsh or anything in my reply and I'm so sorry if it came off that way! I thought that there was a question as to why the poll had been posted and thought I would answer it.

tracy.splosh
09-12-08, 13:33
No No didnt think you were, was just trying to sort out this problem, so that everyone is happy.

samc100
09-12-08, 14:48
I'd like to thank you for asking for our opinions... I am sure people would complain if you just made changes. I bet you feel you can not do wrong for doing right and all that! You do a good fine job keeping this site going. Why on earth you volunteer for it is a mystery to me :winks: :ohmy: :D

andie73
09-12-08, 15:52
This is all getting a bit bizare to be honest. What is all the fuss about, surely there are more important things in life than this, after all it's just a poll!!! There are plenty of polls on here every day, why are people getting so het up about this???

It's getting a bit boring. If someone wants to leave they can, then if they change there minds they can re open their account. We all have to make decisions every day of our lives, that's life I guess, and we learn by them. The thing about deciding to leave here is, you can reverse the decision and come back.

I can vaguely see the point about a cooling off period, but please this is not a binding contract or something, they aren't getting divorced lol. People are welcome to come back if they think they made the wrong choice.

However I do think it is good that members are being asked what they want as it seems to me the admins can't win whatever they do!!! Since people seem to have got so worked up about this I think they had little option but it beats me why it ever got to this point. Zzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!

Diane O'Brien
09-12-08, 16:18
There is a question I would like to ask please. If u dont come on the site for a long amount of time, if there a time limit for your name to be automatically deleted.

Just wondered.

Diane xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

spaced
09-12-08, 17:01
good question diane my previous account was deleted and i didnt leave my pc broke down.

eeyorelover
09-12-08, 19:08
No your account is only removed if you ask for it to be, however, back when we moved to the new server I think that some of the members who weren't active didn't transfer over, I THINK!!
LOL

You know sometime it does feel like the admins have targets on their backs. But the truth is that I would walk thru fire for this site cuz it's helped me out so much!!

nomorepanic
09-12-08, 19:27
If you have not been on the site for over 3 months and never posted then your login will be pruned and removed.

I do this periodically.

bottleblond
09-12-08, 19:29
Sandy

I have to agree. I honestly do not see what the problem is as we are just regular members with issues too, we also have to abide by the rules. The only difference is, we do work behind the sceens to ensure the site runs to the best of all our ability.

As for removing members, I am happy to go along with what the member wants, so i voted that i didn't mind.

Lisa
xx

eeyorelover
09-12-08, 19:32
If you have not been on the site for over 3 months and never posted then your login will be pruned and removed.

I do this periodically.

Dang you learn something new everyday!!
Thanks Nic for correcting me.
xxx
Sandy

spaced
09-12-08, 22:39
sorry didn't mean to cause any hassel with my previous post. yes my account was removed but i really didn't mind. i'm a different person from before so its a good thing.
i think if some one wants to leave then they do, if they want to come back then no big deal.:shrug: i came back even though i'm better, i owe a great deal to NMP if the site hadn't have been here when i need it i dont know where i would be today. i would never critise this site or anybody who helps be admins mods who ever. i think you all do a wonderful job even though you all have problems of your own. this is a fantastic place for people to be.

bottleblond
09-12-08, 22:50
Spaced

Sweetheart you never caused any hastle at all! :hugs:

Lisa
x

eeyorelover
09-12-08, 22:53
You didn't cause a hassle hun!!
Actually you and the other member brought up a good point and we got an answer that was great info to have.
I always say this site has loads of useful info!
:)
xxx
Sandy

Diane O'Brien
09-12-08, 23:01
Thank goodness for that I was honestly panicking when I logged on and saw the other posts, after all it was me who asked the question.

Everyone does a great job on this site, since I joined everyone from members, admins, moderators have made me feel welcome, and I feel this site has helped me a lot.

Your all fantastic people.

Diane xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx