PDA

View Full Version : just started citalopram

Tuesday
07-12-08, 21:40
Hello,

This site has been very useful to read others experiences. I have suffered with various issues around depression and anxiety for years and tried several counsellors but had no real improvement. Essentially there was no reason big enough to be depressed and no matter what my situation I could be happy or sad. Finally I went to the doctor and was prescribed citalopram. I have never taken any medication before and in one way it felt like a victory and one way it felt like a defeat. I was unsure if I should take them and did read the side effects with some alarm. Finally I began taking them last night and have noticed no side effects after the first one. I think I will take the advice of others on here and start at 10mg for the first week and increase to 20mg. Time and time I have tried to pull myself out of this but more and more of my life is being wasted by mental health issues and if these tablets can help me function to a level where my life is not so inward looking then I will be very happy. What I find difficult is the uncertainty of relying on myself to pull myself out of depression, these drugs may do it for me so I can move on.

Sillyblondegirl
14-12-08, 04:09
Hi. I think the starting slowly is a good idea. I began it a few months ago and feel better than ever. The first week was horrible though. I jumped right in at 20mgs. I felt completely out of it and detached. Now I am on 40mgs a day and feel better than I have since high school! I hope they work for you they way they have for me. Good luck!