PDA

View Full Version : Pulse Rate

angieb
23-06-05, 16:42
Hiya all

Just a quickie, my resting pulse rate is still 80bpm - is this OK or do you think this could still be due to high blood pressure or just basic lack of fitness as for three months I have not moved faster than a steady walk?

Thanks in advance...Angie

driverpm
23-06-05, 17:04
hi angie,
not sure of your history but that sounds spot on as it is my understanding that a 'normal' heart rate is between 60 and 100 bpm. can be confusing as the act of measuring your pulse can actually effect what it is (i.e. unconciosly altering your breathing while measuring).
hope that reassures a bit
phil
ps i have heart related health anxiety so have done quite a lot of research on 'normal' heart rythms (also i'm a postdoc in a medical research institute so have bugged my clinical colleagues about this too ;))

angieb
23-06-05, 17:14
Phil - thank you for this.

I am just addressing lifestyle issues now as I have successfully overcome panic anxiety during teh last three months. Consider myself 95% there now. After my first major panic during an exercise class and second one walking up hill in Wales I was utterly convinced I was a gonner and gave up all exercise...all moving very far or fast at all actually.

This week though I have walked the mile or so round trip up hill to take my daugter to school, taught my girls to do cartwheels in the garden, been back on the exercise bike (can now manage 15 mins straight) and an just generally trying things out again.

It feels good, next stage to to half my wine intake [:O] and increase the school walk to twice a day and the bike to 30 mins a day - that will hopefully see the puls and BP come down a bit :D

Again, appreciate your time...Angie

chucklehound
23-06-05, 17:14
Yeah I think thats normal.

Mine was 160bpm when I first got anxiety and I had to go into hospital

for tests but they came back normal.

All the best

Feel free pm me if you want to chat

steno -x-

driverpm
23-06-05, 17:37
you are most welcome angie, anything positive i can give to this excellent site is great. One thing i have tried to do is not to take my pulse (i found i was actually checking pulse points or listening to beats every 10 mins or so). it's hard to do when it's a habit but it does sometimes help you stop focusing on it so much. Pretty sure mine's still going, i'm upright and concious so it can't be to far off, but I bet i catch my self checking it again sometime soon. we will get there of that i'm becomming sure,
phil

angieb
23-06-05, 17:52
That is so funny - I have always lived by a saying....Ahhh it's a long way from the heart it'll be fine...doesn't work when it it pretty damn close to the heart...lol!!!!!

I am over the checking it every ten mins stage....thankfully I was just wondering from an exercise point of view....(oh alright and the something to worry about point of view ;))

Thanks again.

Angie x

vernon
23-06-05, 18:16
yeh angie, mine is always between 75 and 90 like phil said normal is anything between 60 and 100

Meg
23-06-05, 18:33
You're doing fine Angie

Halfing vino will help as will getting fitter again.

I have no worries about this rate at all.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Donna
23-06-05, 19:55
Yep, angie thats perfectly fine. :D

angieb
24-06-05, 08:03
Thanks guys - really do appreciate it!

Got a lovely hangover this morning as we sat in the garden until midnight and polished of two bottle of wine...as a result feel shaky, pulse racey, headache and full of anxiety...when will I learn[:o)]

Hoping that a bacon sarni, two paracetamol and orangina will sort it...that is it though, I am halving my wine consumption from today for a month. Hope I can do it????????

Take care...Angie

Meg
24-06-05, 10:03
Aim to 3/4 it for first 2 weeks Angie.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...