PDA

View Full Version : Omeprazole and trying to conceive?

discogirl
08-12-08, 13:52
Hi all
I decided to not start my pack of pill on Saturday and am now officially trying for a baby!
However, the cloud on the horizon is that I started taking Omeprazole last Friday for acid reflux which I've been suffering with for last 3 weeks. Over the weekend I started worrying about whether it was safe to take at the moment.

In reality I've been on the pill for last 18 years and am 35 years old, so the chances of me falling pregnant in the next 3 weeks of taking Omeprazole are very low but I've done some research and the majority of medical journals say that its the safest of the PPI's and there is no link to foetal abnornalities and many pregnant women have taken it without harm although its not generally recommended.

I've spoken to a doctor who said that as a doctor he would recommend us using contraception for the next 3 weeks but in reality its highly unlikely that even if i did fall in next three weeks that the Omeprazole would have any harmful effects.

Have any of you got any advice on this at all? Very confused about whether just to carry on or using condoms for next 3 weeks??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

nickieb
08-12-08, 14:03
Personally i would take the advice of the GP..If the research says that omeprazole is safe then go with that hun xx

Boos Mum
23-12-08, 16:21
www.motherisk.org is helpful

FWIW most people dont know they are preg till 6-8 weeks along, and most babies are fine, don't worry too much