PDA

View Full Version : breathing problems

anxiouschick
08-12-08, 15:23
Hi, I am going though a phase of feeling like I can't breathe properley, Have had it for a couple of weeks, and I keep taking really big deep breaths or yawning to get air in. I feel like I'm constantly aware of it, and it starts bothering me from the moment I wake up. It's making me anxious, irritable and so tired, almost like I'm slowly strangling! Have had it before, and it went eventually. Does anyone else get this?

nickieb
08-12-08, 15:27
Pure anxiety hun i have this prior to a panic attack its horrid. Try & relax, have a bath or distract yourself xxx

Krakers
08-12-08, 15:42
Hi anxious - yes, but different if that makes sense.

I used to get PA's over both breathing and swallowing. It took a while but they both eventually went on their own. The thing is I can't listen to most relaxation tapes or other therapies because they always start with talking about your breathing.

Once I start thinking about it, its as if its me controlling it and not my body. Its a fixation thing - one of those things once you become aware of it you can't get it out of your head. For me I just avoid those situations (not ideal I know).

The only advice I can give, and this really is crappy is that if it goes on long term you need to see your doc about it. I carried a bottle of water around with me for over a year because I was scared of not being able to swallow.

Eventually both of mine went away, but I'd run up a mountain to not hear a relaxation tape. Once I start thinking ......

It seems thats where you're at. Breathing is one of your bodies "autopilot" functions - just like your heart beat, just like digestion, and many other things that don't need our intervention.

I'd love to say forget about it, but I know that only with time will it fade.

Sorry for not being more helpful.

Krakers.

Jo3016
08-12-08, 19:56
I have had exactly the same thing numerous times. It can last weeks because I can't stop obsessing about it. It does go eventually as you said. I think it is one of the worst symptoms of anxiety because the over breathing causes other problems such as dizziness, tinnitus, visual problems and palpitations.

Hope you are feeling better soon. x

helen26
18-12-08, 10:46
i am having this 2day, its awful. i think it is down to a attack i had last night in bed x

belle
18-12-08, 11:07
I have this. I can be fine on second, making dinner, then suddenly i can't breath. Generally it goes on for days. I try now and take no notice, easier said than done when it feels like there is something stopping you from getting a breath.

Blanes
10-02-09, 16:46
Hi all - I have been obsessing about my breathing on and off for about a year now. Sometimes I have it totally under control , but other times (like right now) it takes over altogether. It's 4am now and I can't sleep because I keep thinking about it . I am thinking of booking in to see a therapist - do they help ?

xx_x_sian_x_xx
17-02-09, 21:26
The thing is I can't listen to most relaxation tapes or other therapies because they always start with talking about your breathing.

Exactly! I go to the doctors saying I have difficulties taking a deep breath, so he gives me a relaxation CD in which the first instruction is 'take a deep breath'.

Its SO frustrating!! :mad:

Does everyone else only have the breathing problems for short periods of time (hours/days)?
Cos I've had mine constantly for about 4 months, without a single day of it being OK, and am quite concerned :weep:

xxx

Carolinemargaret
22-02-09, 23:22
I sympathise with all of you, I have suffered with this for many many years, I go through stages where I am okay and then something happens and it feels like I am back at square one. It can go on for days/weeks/months - so dont be concerned Sian. Its a vicious circle, the more you think about it the more its there and the more its there, the more worrying it is. At the moment have had it quite bad for past couple of months and my back is aching with the exertion of coughing and contstantly trying to get enough air in.

It is so annoying when people say take a deep breath, when thats the one thing you feel you can't do.

We will all get over this and be stronger people for it.

Caroline x

Jzex
01-03-09, 21:26
Hiya

I also have this, i feel like a need to take a really big deep breath and makes me panic even more when I didnt realise breathing was related to panicy I always thought I had astma etc

springblossom
03-03-09, 14:03
This is the ultimate anxiety symptom - have you tried humming or singing, it seems to regulate the breathing?

JonnyUK
16-03-09, 03:08
I should have searched the forums better as I just posted a message with this exact symptom. The only time I feel normal, breathing wise, is when I am eating.