PDA

View Full Version : Memory Problems- Anxiety or something more serious?

rockyyorks
08-12-08, 16:53
I am 27 years old and i have felt quite fatigued and a little anxious for the past 4 years and i have been taking Cipralex for nearly 4 years.

Recently i have noticed that my memory is getting awful, i forget things like what i have just said, what other people have just said, sometimes i forget what day it is and i forget lots of other things sometimes straight away as well and it is really starting to concern me now.

I am starting to worry that i am losing my mind or could be developing something like early onset dementia or alzheimer's or something similar and i just hope it is not serious.

Also i am currently taking 5mg of Cipralex as i have dropped slowly from 20mg and it seems a little worse because of this but i was still having a lot of memory problems when i was on 20mg.

Is this something serious? am i worrying too much?

Diane O'Brien
08-12-08, 17:47
I,m currently on citalopram suffering from depression and anxiety. My memory at the minute is worse then it has ever been. The other day somebody asked me my son's birthday AND I HAD TO THINK. I felt awful. I honestly had to think a few minutes before answering. Luckily she knows I,m on medication for anxiety. I can mention a few other things as well for example walking into a room and forgetting what I were doin. Its all part of the anxiety. I'm only 37 so it can't be old age, (Can It :unsure: :unsure: )

I,m sure in time Rocky your memory will improve try not to worry to much.

Take Care

Diane xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

HeatherMc
08-12-08, 19:52
Hello

Please do not be frightened of this symptom I was terrified of this way back in Feb when I first got this damn thing, I worried night and day and the limb in between about this I worried about leaving the house and was worried I would forget who I was and that I would get lost and develop some weird early onset fast acting dementia. It isn't. I may add that I couldn't eat or sleep for the worry.

I posted on here read loads of posts and the symtoms pages lots of people seem to get this symptom. I have been on this site pretty constantly over the last few months and have noticed that this particular query pops up on a regular basis. Therefore by the law of averages according to me,

1. It seems pretty common.
2. If it was some sort of early onset dementia altziemers etc the medical journals and the papers would be full of it (which they aren't)
3. The people whom worry about this are very varied in age from the teenages - believe it or not to the nearly quite oldies ie like me at 41 I have yet to see anyone post on this place whom is a great age worrying about this (ie the ages when you would be concerned).

Hope this helps.

Heather

bab
09-12-08, 10:31
hi there
i am on cipralex and i also notice this

Badly Drawn Boy
09-12-08, 12:00
My memory seems to be getting worse by the day and im suffering from anxiety. I can never remember if i clocked in at work, it's quite strange.
But must be a major symptom for anxiety.

rockyyorks
10-12-08, 08:48
I am feeling so bad, have been since last night.

I was on 20mg Cipralex but reduced it to 10mg and was on 10mg for 4 weeks then last week i cut it down to 5mg and i was ok at first but i am feeling like never before now.

It's hard to describe but i feel totally weird and zombie like, it's like it's a big effort just to talk, my mind is totally blank, my face feels weird like it is going to explode, i feel very anxious, i am having weird feelings and since i went down to 5mg my sleeping patterns have become very bad and i am not sleeping that much at all.

Is this normal when lowering the dose? is there anything i can do to make myself feel better? because it just doesn't seem to go away.

I bet if i started taking 10mg again the problems would go away wouldn't they? because these pills seem to really mess with your mind and body.

rockyyorks
10-12-08, 15:51
What is the best thing for me to do? Carry on at 5mg and keep feeling like this, cut down again to 2.5mg or go back up to 10mg, I really wouldn't like to go back up to 10mg but i would do if it were to make me feel a bit better.

rockyyorks
10-12-08, 20:12
Anyone? Please.

bab
10-12-08, 20:30
hi rocky
have you been sufferiing the memory problems since lowering the dose or the last 4 yrs? it could be withdrawal sy7ymptoms if its since lowering the dose or if its since taking it, its the side effects. why are you coming off them can i ask?

rockyyorks
10-12-08, 21:36
hi rocky
have you been sufferiing the memory problems since lowering the dose or the last 4 yrs? it could be withdrawal sy7ymptoms if its since lowering the dose or if its since taking it, its the side effects. why are you coming off them can i ask?

No, My memory problems were happening even when i was on the 20mg maximum dose, my memory problems have been getting worse over the last few months.

I worry greatly about my memory, thinking it is something serious like early onset dementia.

But at the moment i am feeling terrible in general and don't know what to do, do i continue taking 5mg or increase to 10mg again? because i feel really bad, i haven't felt this bad for a long time.