PDA

View Full Version : Ladies Help!! IBS and Hormones?

petmad
08-12-08, 19:43
Hi Ladies

I have had IBS on and off for many years but it did seem to calm down for a while but last few months I have noticed bad spouts again and think its around time of the month? I am on Citalopram to help with hormones/PMT and anxiety.
But I have been getting horrible stomach cramps, constipation, having to dash to the loo and shivering sensations, and just wanting to curl up and sleep!
Do any of you find IBS gets worse around time of the month? Or is this something else? Just seems hormones get worse with age and am now worried my IBS seems to be coming back worse again, it hasn't been like this for years.
Please can anyone help and put my mind at rest? Just worry my complaints are something other than IBS?
thank you x

music maker
18-01-09, 16:59
Dear Petmad, I suffer from IBS a bit but I have found that it is definatly worse in the days before and in the first days of my period. Having said that if you are worried go to your doctor because worriying also makes it worse!!! Let me know how you get on

BNCfan
18-01-09, 17:58
GENTLEMEN YOU DON'T NEED TO READ THIS. Have suffered from IBS nearly all my adult life and it was always worse in the days before and first days of my period - just as music maker says. There seems to be a strong link between our bowels - sorry everyone - and our hormone levels in general and the 'curse'. You also say you suffer with PMT. Anxiety of course affects our hormones and our bowels and no doubt the 'curse' as well. During 'the change' the IBS was unbearable, I didn't know where I was. It seemed to settle down for a while for me too, but for the last five months, while I've been experiencing chronic anxiety again, the IBS hits me out of the blue at least twice a week - several urgent dashes to the loo when I get up in the morning. You can't make any plans in advance, it's a darn nuisance.

so jems like
18-01-09, 18:07
i could totally relate to you!
i feel like i've been suffering from ibs for months now ..
it's pretty ridiculous. i've gotten used to it
but, i do realize that it does get a little worse around the time of my period. i do get really bad cramps and it does feel more uncomfortable. so no worries :) just eat the right foods and relax.