PDA

View Full Version : SMELLS

Laurie28
08-12-03, 13:43
HIya ALL,

One thing that really freaks me out is unusual smells - especially when driving.

Does anyone else get this??

It doesn't help that i live in a town that houses 1 major petrochemical company and another major plastic works company!!

Love
lucky

sarah
08-12-03, 15:01
Hiya Lucky

Yep, unusual smells freak me out too. If I smell something when im driving I automatically think im going to break down so I start sniffing really hard and end up hyperventilating....lol

Also if im out and somebody walks past with strong aftershave on, this gets me too.

weird huh?

love Sarah
xx

Laurie28
08-12-03, 15:30
I end up driving with all the windows down - which is fine unless it is December and it is snowing!!!!

Lucky

Lottie32
08-12-03, 16:34
I smell something and think my car is breaking down. And I know a bit about cars, and it's very rare a "smell" is the sign that your car is about to fail. (Unless is a clutch or break smell)

My friend bought me a large bottle of DKNY as a present for house sitting. Unfortunately, this was when I was at my worst, and it was six months after before I could use it - if I tried spraying it before then, I actually started having an anxiety attack.

How bizarre is that!

Charlie

benoo5
08-12-03, 16:40
those smells would upset anyone lucky...soon as you can,i would move into south wales,the property is so cheap,and the countryside smells,after,or during rain,are wonderful,and just think of all the wonderful fruit that is available to pick for free..see,ime thinking of my tummy again!...bryan.

Prettyface110
08-12-03, 18:04
I'm always a bit freaked out by burning smells when in a vehicle after travelling on a coach to Barcelona about 10 years ago. We were driving through France at dawn and passed a chemical plant when I noticed an acrid burning smell. Most people were asleep but my hubby was awake next to me and he agreed that the smell was really strong and that the polution from the plant must be awful. However, the smell seemed to be getting stronger as we drove further away from the plant and I noticed an irritation in my throat. The next thing we knew, we were pulling over to the side of the motorway and flames were shooting up the side of the window where I sat!!!! We all had to get off 'cause the brakes had locked on and the wheel was on fire!!! Luckily the French fire crews arrived quickly as we had managed by chance to stop opposite a service station. These sort of things always happen to me and only serve to fuel my paranoia.
We ended up stranded miles from nowhere in the middle of France, in baking temperatures on Bastille day!! We knew that the whole of France would be partying but we were miles from any pubs!!
lol
prettyface

twister
08-12-03, 19:09
I worry on the tube when there are funny smells (of which there are many[:0]) that it might be a gas attack.

Emily

Meg
08-12-03, 22:50
Fist come the smells - then come the thoughts.

'I automatically think im going to break down'
'worry....that it might be a gas attack'
'think my car is breaking down'

Which causes the freaking out ?

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

sarah
09-12-03, 14:30
Too much THINKING!!!...lol

We all have such fertile imaginations its a shame we cant all put them to use and write a great movie and make millions eh?

love Sarah
xx

Lottie32
09-12-03, 14:43
V good point Meg

But in the case of the DKNY, it took me three goes of "spray, get panic attack" to realise why!!! I stopped using it for a few months, till I managed to pull myself together a bit more, and now I can wear it/smell it without any problem at all.

But I do know what you mean,there have been instances where I have smelt a smell, then thought the last time I smelt that I was ... remember a bad experience and then freak out all over again. So yes, in general it's back to BAD THINKING SKILLS - YET AGAIN!!!!!

Can you be hypnotised to think only positive things I wonder!!!

Charlie

Meg
09-12-03, 15:06
Yes, but it doesn't last very long - unless you keep going ..

You have to learn it yourself - then it lasts a lifetime, albeit probably with a few blips along the way.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Lottie32
09-12-03, 16:01
Meg

I keep trying honest, but sometimes my negative thinking turns into a positive thing to have!

If it wasn't for my negative thinking we wouldn't end up at the bike rally as well equipped. My friends wouldn't get to take the p out of me for bringing everything but the kitchen sink. And I wouldn't get to be smug when they come up later and ask if they can borrow a bottle opener/spare guy rope/tent peg/matches/batteries/torch/sleeping bag/contact lens solution/tampax ........ the list is endless!

And it's even better being smug first thing the next morning when you're the ONLY one who remembered the pain killers and alka seltzer!! Ha Ha Ha.

But you're right - negative thinking is terribly self destructive. Any tips on turning it around?

Charlie

Meg
09-12-03, 16:36
Ah, That's risk management Charlie - which is great.

Meg

Lottie32
09-12-03, 16:47
Meg

It's risk management if you're being practical and negative thinking if you're me - I end up fully tooled up because I think of EVERY eventuality and calamity that could possibly happen, and pack for it.

Consequently, everybody else goes up three - four in a car, and I'm on my own surrounded by kit bags. Ha ha ha.

But now I'm trying hard to be positive, I shall re-christen it risk management. I'm not being negative, I'm managing my risks!

Thanks for that!

Charlie

benoo5
09-12-03, 17:57
quote:Originally posted by Lottie32

Meg

Consequently, everybody else goes up three - four in a car, and I'm on my own surrounded by kit bags. Ha ha ha.

maybe,you packed everything,but the deoderant,charlie, :)

heee,bryan.

Charlie

worriedunsteady
09-12-03, 18:06
So weird that you mention the 'smell' thing when I am anxious and stressed it so weird I can actually feel that my sense of smell is on hyper vigilance - and I notice all sorts of smells (all ligitimate) that pass others by. I have come to think its because of the adrenaline - you are literally wired and your senses tuned way up. For me I learn to ignore it and relax.........lol. Of course the negative association that Meg and otehrs mention is soooooooo true.

Lottie32
10-12-03, 08:47
Bryan

Its Europes biggest bike rally. To wear deoderant would be totally girly, and we'd probably get our heads kicked in!!!!

(So I smuggle those deoderant wipes in instead).

I'm the only one who takes a toothbrush though! And cleans my teeth. Last year we crashed about 5am (after watching sunrise), and I got some very rude comments made about what I was doing in my tent. Next year I am NOT taking my ELECTRIC toothbrush - I'll buy a normal one for the occassion (enough said).

LOL

Charlie

benoo5
10-12-03, 10:51
charlie,

two years ago,i did a half marathon,for charity...i wrote to faberge,and said i was going to splash brut all over,so the whole crowd could smell it,so did they want to make a donation,but i didnt get a reply...but i did get a nice reply from henry cooper,and also a generous donation..ps,i love brut,and yes ,i do splash it all over!...bryan.

Lottie32
10-12-03, 11:24
Bryan

You are mental - what ever possessed you to run? I raise money for charity by sitting round Di's kitchen table with the girls, some Smirnoff and a box of glitter, stars feather and glue, making Xmas Decs.

It takes up much less effort, and is warm and dry! Fair play to you though babe, it makes you feel good knowing you have helped.

I had R4 on last night, and they were in Romania. They played an excert from the Challenge Anneka where she went to the Romanian Orphanage - can you believe it was 1991? It's the only time I've sat and sobbed at something on the telly (being a bit of a hard bitch). The reporters were there the other month, and things haven't got better for a lot of the children there. It really made me want to do something. There were people from the UK who go over on "holiday" and help out for a week or a fortnight at a time. When I've finally got my head together (i.e. when I can travel further than 40 miles from my home! Ha Ha)I'm going to look into going over myself. Some doctors are still consigning perfectly healthy babies (but with physical disabilities such as a hare lip) to the orphanages for mentally ill. Consequently, there are children over there who could have led a normal life, who are in their mid teens and "dead" of any education, emotional interaction, proper speech etc, just lying in cots.

I'm sorry Bryan, I've gone on a bit there, and I know your down and that DEFINITELY hasn't helped you!!! But it really upset me to think that it is still going on. I usually avoid the news for this reason (call me an ostrich if you like).

Love

Charlie

Laurie28
10-12-03, 11:47
Hiya Chaps,

I'm terrible for avoiding the news lately because it is so sad and depressing.

I just switch on MTV in the mornings now.
Sorry to hear u are down Brian

Love
lucky

benoo5
10-12-03, 12:23
quote:Originally posted by Lottie32

Bryan

You are mental - what ever possessed you to run? I raise money for charity by sitting round Di's kitchen table with the girls, some Smirnoff and a box of glitter,

charlie,how do you raise money,by sitting around a table lol
Charlie

Lottie32
10-12-03, 14:01
Cos all the pretty glittery fairy angel wings and sparkly Xmas cards we make, we sell at craft fairs and on the local market.

E-mail me your address (obviously only if you are happy to do so) and I will send you a card and a fairy for the tree to cheer you up!

When you look at your feathery fairy, you can remember that we all love you on this site!

LOL xxxx

Charlie

nomorepanic
10-12-03, 21:05
Ooohh Charlie - can I have one too :-)

Nicola

benoo5
10-12-03, 21:38
charlie,

youd better send her one,or she will sulk for months,and then you will find your posts mysteriously disapearing, heeee...bryan.

Lottie32
11-12-03, 08:45
I hope you're not speaking from experience Bryan!

Of course Nic, I will pop one in the post over the weekend. Can you e-mail me your address?

I've tried to send a mail to you, but it keeps bouncing back!

Do you prefer silver or gold?

Charlie

nomorepanic
11-12-03, 21:11
LOL - I am not that bad you know [:0]

I like gold please. [8D]

I will send you my address.

Nicola