PDA

View Full Version : school nativity play today!! any tips to avoid an attack?

carla-jane
09-12-08, 11:32
Hi Its my daughters nativity play today and i desperately want to go, but at the same time i know im gonna pannic coz its gonna be so busy there. My problem is that im gonna feel trapped, and that i cant get out. I have all intentions of sitting on the end of a row, or at the back or even standing, but its just so embarrassing. I've been worrying about it all week! I hate the thought of having a pannic attack in front of all the other parents, or feeling like i will have to do a runner half way through! My daughter desperately wants me there, and i'm definitely going. Any tips on how to focus on the play, rather than my sweatty palms? I know i will feel fantastic if i can sit the whole thing out. Maybe i should focus on that?
Thanks for any advice guys.Xx:shrug:

titch
09-12-08, 11:55
Hey hun...last week i was just the same as you but i was attending a concert at the m.e.n arena in manchester.. i was panicking about it all week and on the day my anxiety was high...thousands of people were there it was packed! but i did it..i had a panicy feeling when i got there and actually seen how busy it was but the rest of the night was brill i just enjoyed the concert...so yer i think u should just concentrate on how good u will feel if u do it and how happy your daughter will be...if i can do it hun u certainly can...good luck and let us knw how u get on...xxxx:bighug1: :bighug1: :bighug1: :bighug1: :bighug1:

lorac
09-12-08, 13:09
Hi

Every year I have the same worries about the school play and every year I panic about going but I still manage to go and see it through and after I am really pleased I went. I am sure if you go you will be able to sit through the play and be proud of yourself after.

This year I am a little upset coz my boy hasn't got a Christmas play but if he did I would be the same as you and like you I would be there watching despite the panic and anxiety, it's amazing what we can do for our kids. I wish you luck let us know how you get on.

Carol x

carla-jane
09-12-08, 17:25
Thanks guys
I went to the nativity, and i enjoyed it!
I felt like a bit of whimp coz i stayed at the back, and near to an exit. But so glad i went and stayed. Afterwards i felt no panic at all even when i had to wait for my daughter in a 'more crowded than usual' play ground.
Its amazing what we can do when we really want to.x

ElizabethJane
09-12-08, 17:42
I'm glad it went well for you. I had to go to see my son perform in a big Barnardos concert at the Albert Hall. All went well, the tube journey the performance and back rather late. I also work in a music shop and recently had to send a seating plan of our local cathedral to a gentleman who suffers from claustrophobia. You are certainly not alone and I was happy to oblige.

Wenjoy
09-12-08, 18:35
Me too - I am nervous as I have bought hubby tickets to a pop concert and although its the end of the row there are thousands going and its going to be hot and stuffy in there and we are not near an exit - I want to go coz I want to spoil hubby for being so supportive but I have sh*****g myself already! Wenjoy x

shortstuff
09-12-08, 20:36
I'm on the other side of this fence - I'm a teacher in a special school (so our kids need lots of support) and usually take part in the concert with my class. There's a high chance that I'll not be able to this year as I am struggling to even get in the dinner/assembly hall with just the kids. The concert is going to be in the local church (door right at the back) with kids, staff, parents, governors and the congregation!!! Because I've been so bad lately, I was advised not to attend the practices (today and tomorrow) and to see how I feel on Thursday for the actual event.

I really want to go to support my class and to be part of the magic but would hate to cause more fuss by having a panic attack in the attempt. I can't even walk down the corridors at work this week!!!!! Perhaps I'll just overload on beta blockers and take the plunge!

lorac
09-12-08, 20:50
Hi Shortsuff,

That must be really difficult for you working in a school with panic and anxiety but I have to say I really admire you for what you do and for wanting to support your kids at the concert. Whatever you decide to do I wish you luck and hope the kids have a great time.

Carol

shortstuff
09-12-08, 20:59
Thanks Carol - to be honest, the job is about all I have left of normality these days and is something I really enjoy, which helps. Whatever my role, the kids will be fab and will be well supported by their support staff.

Nic

eternally optimistic
09-12-08, 22:07
Hi Carla Jane

Glad you enjoyed the nativity.

Its not a failing that you stood near the back and near an exit, someones got to, LOL.

marie1974
09-12-08, 22:37
hi carla im glad it went ok today for you, my daughter who is 4 has hers thursday and is a shephard and has to sing on her own with another girl, so i will have my box of tissues at the ready hehe. hugs

shortstuff
11-12-08, 19:23
I made it through half of the school concert and managed to support my class before having to leave. Feel loads better that I managed to do it. Well done to the rest of you who have managed it too!