PDA

View Full Version : Ocd / Art Therapy

snoddywilko
10-12-08, 13:03
hi there
i am working with a student with ocd. she is in the final year of her art degree and is writing her final paper on art therapy and ocd.
if you have any experience in this area, first hand or otherwise , and would like to fill in a brief questionaire then please email her at the following email
prussian.blue@live.co.uk
her name is sayma
thanks very much
:)

glitzyRipple
17-12-08, 19:20
Hi,

I'm new to the forum! I wondered what you mean by first hand experience? I have been given art to do by my psychlogist followng my ocd diagnosis. We discussed what my ocd looks like and then as homework she asked me to draw what my ocd looks like? When I discussed it being like a dark monster I was asked, does it have a sex? for me it feels male. I was also asked to make notes on how the ocd monster affects my compulsions. What tricks does he use to get me to perform a compulsion? I was also asked.

On a personal level I started an art journal of mixed media art after reading spilling open by Sabrina Ward Harrison. I didn't know I had ocd when I started it but I had read that ripping up paper and being expressive with paint & other materials can help you to open up & express yourself more freely. Art is obviously more expressive than writing a diary which is flat & lifeless in comparison. I have found looking back over the pages that it is helping to understand some of my thoughts & feelings now aswell as being an aid to seeing change when you get over bad areas of your life.

I hope this helps

:)