PDA

View Full Version : Exaggerated noise

shortstuff
11-12-08, 02:06
This is quite simply driving me crazy and triggers panic attaks in me. I can hear EVERYTHING including background noise at heightened levels. My brain seems to have lost the capability to filter out background sounds and if there is more than one person talking in any given space (no matter how quietly) it feels as though there are 50 people shouting in my ears!

I am sure people at work think I'm totally crazy as I usually end up walking down corridors with my fingers in my ears and have cotton wool in them most of the day.

Looking back, I think this was one of my first symptoms which came on gradually. I remember becoming more and more irritated with the noise from the TV and would end up with it muted. This progressed into the images annoying me and the TV being switched off completely. I ended up with a complete phobia of the TV to the point that I was room bound for a few months (having to live in one of the bedrooms which didn't have a TV) until common sense kicked in and I got rid of TV's in the house!

Has anyone got any good ways of coping with this?????

Nic

shortstuff
17-12-08, 19:55
Looks like just me then. It's got me even more curious now.

LACEYA1961
17-12-08, 20:07
Looks like just me then. It's got me even more curious now.

Hi, Nic...I can relate to what you're talking to a certain degree. Sometimes noises will drive me nuts and I have to plug my ears. Loud roaring noises (like the vacuum) will set off anxiety in me. I would suggest seeing an ear doctor if for nothing else but to rule out some problems before attributing it to anxiety/panic. That is if you haven't done so yet:)

Let us know what you find out!

Take care,

Lacey

anna66
17-12-08, 23:24
I had this a while back for a couple of weeks. People chattering, a drawer opening in the kitchen, a door, hoover whatever...It was 500 decibels louder to me! I had to put my fingers in my ears or go upstairs out of the way and listen to some soothing music through the headphones. I really did want to scream out loud and thought I was going mad. But I wasn't... and its gone away.
xx