PDA

View Full Version : Confrontation .....

Krakers
11-12-08, 06:13
While I suffer from GAD and Depression, this probably not the best forum to post under. I kind of remember the suggestion of an alcohol forum, but I can't find it, so not sure whether it materialised.

Theres lots I want to say, but I know what I do say always comes out the wrong way and usually leads to a huge post with lots of defensive responses.

Just an update on myself really - this year I haven't drunk for 21 weeks (2 spates of 10 weeks sobriety, and a few ad-hoc days), but have relapsed twice. While I feel this is a failure, apparantly its a success for someone who has drunk daily for 23 years.

I'm trying to make this post as short as possible, so really all I want to say is sorry for any upset I have caused in forums. Also I am yet again in the NHS framework for treatment. 3rd time lucky ?

Recently one of the symptoms I was diagnosed with was aggressive / confrontational behaviour. Also I'm being considered as dual personality (although the difference between schitzofrenia (sp?), bipolar and my condition hasn't been expalined.) This is always verbal, not physical, so don't be worried about my partner or my daughter - they are the love of my life. Its also classed as irrational, so once again I never take out problems on family just blow up at random acts most people wouldn't even notice.

Its more someone nicking my parking space, or smashing into my trolley at the supermarket that sets me off (not common examples, but illustrate my mind set). Again, always verbal, never physical.

I've already written too much, so once again apologies if I upset anyone.

Krakers.

HeatherMc
11-12-08, 08:12
Hiya Krakers

Area't you sure they said dual personality and not dual diagnosis, I would not worry abo ut the flare ups my husband is like that he has days when he is like the tazmanian deviil, only for him to return to normal once he has vented his spleen, nice to hear from you after so long,

Well done with staying on the wagon, for so long, it cannot be easy this time of year when you are confronted with booze every where you turn, since I haven't been able to drink I have noticed it more, not that I was much of a drinker beforehand but I have noticed certain friends treating me like a leper because I am not drinking.

Lots of Love and well done on your progress so far.

Heather

Krakers
11-12-08, 13:34
Hi Heather - I'm not entirely sure what they said - it was definately along the lines of two (hence dual), but definately not split personality or bi-anything. I wish I'd written it down to be honest. I'm due another assesment over at Wentworth House in Eccles at some point in the next 4 weeks as well as a DWP assesment on Dec 29th.

The confrontation often only lasts minutes (unless I'm on the phone). I just can't seem to handle well situations where I believe other people to be wrong. This has become a little OC with me having to put people / companies straight. I just can't let it go.

As for the not drinking - well, currently I am. I was given extra meds to reduce craving, although I don't actually crave I just drink (if that makes any sense). I also know what both my brother and dad will buy me for Christmas, even though they know my condition - a bottle of vodka. As usual I'll give them away as I did last year.

As for friends treating you like a leper I can certainly understand that. I've seen one of my closest friends 3 times in 8 months since I tried to avoid alcohol. We used to be out 5 nights a week previously. Also, I've noticed how silly other people look / act when drunk. Is that me I wonder now when I drink.

Anyways, thanks for the reply - 'tis much appreciated.

Krakers.

Cathy V
11-12-08, 14:38
Hi Krakers, well i guess the drink can give you a split personality. I could be very confrontational if id had a few vodkas. Whatever niggle i had going at the time would become a huge issue, and i could be very argumentative. I wasnt an alcoholic in the classic sense, but i was drinking way too much.

Thing is that vodka had been my drink of choice for many years without problems, but i guess like everything, it has to catch up one day. Caught up with me last year when it started to become an upleasant experience and was making me feel so bad for most of the following day. So i decided enough was enough and gave it up, so havent had a vodka for about a month now...doesnt sound much but its the first break from it in years and im really pleased that i dont miss it. I still have a glass of wine with a meal but nothing more these days, and i feel so much better.

I also think my moods have settled down more, i dont swing to extremes like i did. I still have my moments but im much more relaxed, yet i thought i would be much more anxious without my vodka.

Its difficult I know krakers, but nobody holds anything against you im sure. At least you realise it afterwards, if youve said something you shouldnt have haha! and apologies are worth alot, so i wouldnt worry too much. I think weve all heard worse :noangel:

Take care
Cath xxx :)

Sax
11-12-08, 14:42
:bighug1: Krakers,

Just saying well done on the brave post :yesyes: and well done on keeping trying at kicking the alcohol, I appreciate you are drinking again atm but its the fact you can look back and know you've suceeded over two occassions and this always mean you will again (when you decide to! no one can tell you to, its up to you in the end). Its your responsibility no one elses.

As for upset in the forums I think the post fully explains that you like attention to detail and to put your opinion across fully if you feel yours is different to others. Yes this can cause confrontation but hopefully we can level it and call it healthy discussion :whistles: as you can appreciate i'm sure some people won't be so avid about various subjects as others.

I think most of us here appreciate the irrational mind in varying forms so you are of course among friends as you know.

Just replying and Krakers well done for post really :flowers:

Franz
11-12-08, 14:54
Recently one of the symptoms I was diagnosed with was aggressive / confrontational behaviour. Also I'm being considered as dual personality (although the difference between schitzofrenia (sp?), bipolar and my condition hasn't been expalined.)
Schizophrenia has nothing to do with having a split personality. Literally it means "split mind" but I think it means "split from reality" rather than "split from itself". Schizophrenia covers a wide spectrum of symptoms but broadly speaking it refers to classic "insanity".

"Bipolar" applies to mood, not personality. It's the currently acceptable term for "manic depressive" (I don't know what was wrong with "manic depressive"). It describes people who veer between elation and depression to an abnormal degree.

EmmaJane
11-12-08, 22:10
Hi Krakers,

Well I just want to say, thank you for taking the time out, to let people know about you.

Good luck with 3rd time lucky.