PDA

View Full Version : Continuous palpitations, so scared.

JodieT
12-12-08, 21:01
Am struggling to cope with these palpitations now. Have phoned NHS direct to try and speak to someone. Part of me wants them to say 'go to hospital now, you are having a heart attack' and then I will think that I am right, there is a heart problem and my health anxiety was right. The other part of me is so scared as I am on my own, just sitting scared witless. I've had so much to cope with why do I still have this. Sometimes I think of my anxiety as another person who just sits and waits for me to feel better and then thinks 'let's get her now just when she thinks she's coping and improving'. Strange thing is when I don't have it I wonder where it's gone. Sorry - I'm rambling. I'm just so very tired of this. I don't want to die, am terrified of it but then think it would be such a release because I don't have a life anymore. xx

Cathy V
12-12-08, 21:17
Hi Jodie. Its ok honest, you'll be ok. These blasted palps are really scary I know. I also know about calling nhs direct about them, and I remember the nurse i spoke to telling me that they were nothing sinister, but that if i felt compromised by them to go to the emergency dept and ask to be seen. But that would make me feel worse somehow, coz i knew deep down that i was ok really, id had so many tests and all been ok, but the feeling these palps give you is so uncomfortable and scary you just want someone to stop them for you. Being alone when it happens is even worse i know.

Can you tell me what your story is with them? how long youve had them etc? and describe them to me?

Sillyblondegirl
14-12-08, 04:04
I feel your pain hon. I have had that same feeling and went to the hospital just to be told there is nothing structurally wrong with my heart, I just get palpitations. I just need to convince myself of that now too. My dr prescribed citalopram a few months ago and believe it or not my palps are fewer than ever. When I DO get them she gave me alprazolam to calm myself. As a final straw, I cough or jump up and down-lol. Sometimes it also helps to lay on my left side and close my eyes and breathe deeply. It seems to help relax me and they sometimes go away. I hope you can find something to help you :hugs:

jodie
14-12-08, 09:25
hiya chick

reading this made me feel so sad .as i have been were you are so many times i have called nash and begged then to help and tell me how to get rid of the palps ,i felt like they were running my life,what i do ,were i went and often rushing home from a day/night out coz of them.
i like cathy have had tests and all was ok and it did help me for a while till they started bad again
what i can say is try your very best not to panic coz thats what makes them worse and keeps them going.
over the time of being on nmp and having these palps i have been given some good advice like,
put your hands into ice water that will slow your heart down and help to stop the ectopics.
try sneeze this seems to put the heart into a good rhythm again.
try get up and do something like go for a walk .
and most of all do something to take your mind of the panic as that helps lots

jodie xxx:hugs:

JodieT
20-12-08, 11:58
Hi everyone, thanks for the replies to my post. I had a couple of good days earlier this week but then they are back again. I've had a really bad cold so I wonder if that has contributed. What I don't get is that they are fine in the day, just the odd one here and there. If I eat during the day I don't get them. As soon as I have my meal in the evening - bang off they go. They are lasting anything up to 3 hours and I know it's not long but it's scary. On the outside I appear calm and nobody knows what's going on inside - I'm terrified. Every night when they stop I tell myself that I'm ok and not to worry about tomorrow but when tomorrow comes and they start I just fold. I really, really don't want Christmas to come because I know I wont enjoy myself and I feel guilty for my family that they are stuck with a worrying freak like me. xx

mik
21-12-08, 02:29
hey you are not a freak the freaks are the ones that dont understand how palps make you feel but you know what you had them before nothing bad happend to you and nothing will ease up a little find a distraction im suffering the same as you so believe me me nothing bad wil happen had them pretty much every day since i was 22 im 40 still living and learning to ignore them not there yet ......mik

AshmanUK
29-12-08, 02:01
Jodiet trust me you are not a one off or a freak and far from it.

Check my post out at the top of this forum and you will see i have suffered from this problem for 13 years on and off, thought id almost got rid of it and now its returned like there is no tommorow.

I can fully sympathise with how you feel and im having trouble with my new wave of symptoms that have hit me in the last few days but this problem will not do anything serious to you as its probably triggered by many things like stress, depression etc and i say this to you to help try and convince myself through my personal nightmare im having atm.

Keep positive if you can cause we can all help each other on here, i know we can as it only sinks in i know, from a fellow sufferer.

alison29
30-12-08, 21:33
I am suffering with these 2. I have been to docs, been to a&e once and couple of weeks ago i rang an ambulance cos they terrify me. I have had ecgs n listened to my heart but they never stop. I really hate them, they are ruinin my life.

EvilCaz
30-12-08, 23:33
Hi,

I got them bad while taking Citalopram, i am coming off them now and i am having really bad palps, and chest pain, i sit there and convince myself i have some bad heart problems, and it is scary, what can you do though?

I have bad anxiety so i don't help myself cos it's nt easy to be calm :(