PDA

View Full Version : Some HA related qns...

hm1177
13-12-08, 11:56
1)Have you been officially diagnosed as having health anxiety?
2)What treatment are you receiving?
3)Anyone made a full recovery and gone back to leading normal life?
4)Anyone been initially diagnosed as having health anxiety but then gone on to get another medical diagnosis?
5)Anyone here suffer from Gilbert's syndrome?
6)Have you told your friends and family and are they supportive and understanding?

Would be really grateful if someone could answer some or all of my questions.

itoldyouiwasill
13-12-08, 12:33
1)Have you been officially diagnosed as having health anxiety?
2)What treatment are you receiving?
3)Anyone made a full recovery and gone back to leading normal life?
4)Anyone been initially diagnosed as having health anxiety but then gone on to get another medical diagnosis?
5)Anyone here suffer from Gilbert's syndrome?
6)Have you told your friends and family and are they supportive and understanding?

Would be really grateful if someone could answer some or all of my questions.

1) I have been told that I am suffering from anxiety and that this is also centered around a morbid preoccupation with my health and wellbeing. This was seen as pure OCD with a health fixation. As Health Anxiety is such a hard diagnosis I think that is the best you are going to get.

2) Offered meds which I declined. 2 year waiting list for CBT so financed some CBT myself. Self research which is crucial.

3) There is less than a 5% success rate of hypochondria/health anxiety going away totally. I am better than I was 18 months ago but still not 'cured'.

4) Anyone with health anxiety will get another medical diagnosis....that could be the common cold. The question indicates a fear of misdiagnosis and is a hallmark of a health anxiety sufferer.

5) No

6) Told my family who 'think' they are supportive but are not really but then again what can you expect. I have one close friend who I told who 'gets it' intellectually but cannot understand it on the practical level

Trixie
13-12-08, 15:37
1)Have you been officially diagnosed as having health anxiety? No because I don't suffer from it.

2)What treatment are you receiving? I have a MRI every six months to check on my brain tumour I am on various medication for my vertigo, raynauds syndrome, spine etc.

3)Anyone made a full recovery and gone back to leading normal life? N/A

4)Anyone been initially diagnosed as having health anxiety but then gone on to get another medical diagnosis? N/A

5)Anyone here suffer from Gilbert's syndrome? No

6)Have you told your friends and family and are they supportive and understanding? They know I worry about my oldest Siamese.:weep:

Cathy V
13-12-08, 17:26
Trixie, It does say the questions are aimed at people who suffer with HA. I think we all know you don't...lucky old you.

RosieXXX
13-12-08, 17:28
Well said!!

EmmaJane
13-12-08, 18:22
here here...

1) yes
2) medication
3)no - but working on it
4)no
5)don't know what it is?
6)yes they are supportive

Trixie
13-12-08, 19:11
Trixie, It does say the questions are aimed at people who suffer with HA. I think we all know you don't...lucky old you.

I feel that I should support you all and participate in everything.:)

Trixie
14-12-08, 06:27
Sometimes it seems like you are taking the pee to be honest. You have a brain tumour...we know, you don't suffer with HA... we know. You have lots of anxiety about your cat...we know. How is your daughter Trixie? the one who does suffer with health problems? there must be alot of members who don't even know about her. Tell us more about her, how is she doing lately?

I am not taking the pi** I wouldn't do that ever. No I don't have HA but I do have another form of anxiety which is focused on my cat and I am taking cipralex for it. I have been told that the reason I am doing this is because it takes my mind off thinking about what my children would do if anything was to happen to me.

My anxiety attacks over my cat are irrational and strong sometimes talking over problems with someone who doesn't suffer from them helps as they can stand back and see things in a different light.

I have enjoyed my time on this board and I know I have helped some members as I have had personal messages from them. I do myself post for assistance to my anxiety on the general section and I have had support from those people but as a nurse I did think that I might be able to offer info on things without seeming to be patronising seems I was wrong.

Cathy V
14-12-08, 08:31
Helping people is never wrong, of course its not and im not saying that you never do, but there just seems to be times when you answer peoples posts very caustically and unsympathetically, and perhaps because you don't have HA it sometimes sounds as if you are telling them to pull themselves together. Your reply on this thread just seemed sarcastic and a bit unecessary.

Cath xx

Trixie
14-12-08, 13:17
Helping people is never wrong, of course its not and im not saying that you never do, but there just seems to be times when you answer peoples posts very caustically and unsympathetically, and perhaps because you don't have HA it sometimes sounds as if you are telling them to pull themselves together. Your reply on this thread just seemed sarcastic and a bit unecessary.

Cath xx

I am the last person to tell anyone to pull themselves togther. My daughter who suffers from OCD, Agraphobia, Social Paranoia, Anxiety, Depression, Insomnia, is a self harmer and also has POS has hardly left the house since she was 17 (she is 24 now).

She spends all her time in her room and only has contact with her immediate family. I am her registered carer.

I think some members on this board would prefer me to say things like no I don't think it is anything to worry about what is the point in making them feel even worse?

I am a very sympathetic person but I think sometimes members of this board are looking for reassurance not sympathy.

Cathy V
14-12-08, 13:59
It's good to hear about how your daughter is coping with her HA etc, from time to time Trixie, its just a shame she can't post on here too and chat to people who are fellow sufferers, especially if she's stuck in the house most days. Would she ever consider joining nmp?

Anyway i think we've both made our points though, and as its someones elses thread i'll leave mine there. But pm me if its necessary ok?

Cath xx