PDA

View Full Version : Benefits

Badly Drawn Boy
14-12-08, 14:56
Hey peeps.

I work for Woolworths so i'm about to lose my job completely.
I've just started a new dose of Citalopram so my anxiety/depression has got worse over the last couple of weeks. I've called in sick at work everyday since wed this week.. as i'm finding it very hard to face working.

I'm most likely going to lose my job by Christmas day, and now I am panicking about not being able to pay my rent and bills.
Obviously from my illness I will find it extremely hard to attend interviews for a new job.
I feel my only option is going to be informing my gp of not being able to work and somehow go on some form of benefit to keep a roof over my head?

Just curious to know what you guys do if your out of work, how did you receive benefits what lengths did you have to go to etc?

decca
14-12-08, 17:28
Awe mate sorry to hear you're not well,losing your job in Woolies might be a blessing in disguise.
As you are signed off sick I guess woollies are paying you sick pay when that runs out or your employment is terminated get your Doc. to keep giving you sick notes then you can claim Incapacity benefit - it's now called employment and support allowance - have a look here -

http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/JCP/Customers/WorkingAgeBenefits/008025.xml.html

you might also consider claiming Disability living allowance -
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/FinancialSupport/DG_10011731

For help with paying your rent and council tax you can claim Housing benefit from your council - it's still a government benefit but it's administered by your local council -
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/On_a_low_income/DG_10018926

There's a good website that tells you what benefits you can claim and how much you're likely to get after you've filled in some details -
http://www.entitledto.co.uk/default.aspx

Some rules for the above benefits have recently changed but if you don't understand anything post back and I'll help as much as I can, there's nothing worse than worrying about money when you're not feeling too good.

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

Decca.

Badly Drawn Boy
14-12-08, 18:18
Decca thanks for the great response.
I'm not officially off sick from work yet, just had a few days off this week due to feeling low. I'm hopefully seeing the doc tomorrow, if I explain to him that I don't feel well enough do you think he'll give me a sick note?
I just don't know how soon I can start claiming.

decca
14-12-08, 18:28
Bung in a claim for Housing benefit now, they will assess your entitlement based on your reduced wages you can always report a change of circumstances if you go on Incapacity benefit etc.
You can claim incapacity benefit as soon as your sick pay from your employer stops,in some circumstances you can claim it while you're geeting sick pay.
Oh and ask for the money to be paid to you rather than your landlord,It's your benefit and you have more control that way.

It's always best to claim early rather than to ask for a backdate later on,the rules for backdating have changed and guess what - they've made it harder bless em.

Decca.

nic77
14-12-08, 19:11
to add to what decca was saying about housing benefit the housing allowance is always paid to you not your landlord .

Badly Drawn Boy
14-12-08, 19:20
Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it.

Hopefully i'll get appointment with doctor tomorrow and let you know the outcome.

If anyone has any other advice please say.

decca
14-12-08, 19:33
Yea Nic. you're right under the April '08 changes payments of HB are paid to the claimant,there are however a few exceptions,such as the Landlord can ask for direct payment if the tenant is more than 8 weeks rent arrears ,that's if he/she suspects the tenant is claiming HB of course, some LA's are also paying the first payment direct to the Landlord regardless - sorta gives the game away in my opinion, and of course the assessor has the right to pay direct to the Landlord if he/she thinks it's in the claimants best interest or feels that the claimant is unable to manage his/her own affairs.
Registered social landlords such as Housing Associations are also unaffected by the new rules.

Hope you are well,
Best wishes,
Decca.

Badly Drawn Boy
13-10-09, 14:35
Hello all

I've just been signed off work for couple weeks to see if Citalopram helps my anxiety issues.
If I'm not well enough in 2 weeks the doctor said I can go back and be signed off again.

Now my major worry is money again!, I'm not going to be working for a while and was wondering what others do to pay their rent and bills? I'm awarded Housing Benefit which is great and I've just claimed for Disability Allowance.
Is there anything else I need to do? I can't stop worry about not paying next months bills. Any advice would be great, just wanted to know what you guys do?

Thanks