PDA

View Full Version : Health Anxiety? Recent symptoms & blood count

JMR
14-12-08, 15:59
Hello there...
I joined this forum less than 10mins ago.. never done this before...but I am so anxious and have been encouraged the past couple of days by reading the support offered between members.
I am a worrier about health and have become increasingly anxious and stressed over the past year about many things in general. I have had very low energy levels for years, but I am now so tired I feel like I am wading through treacle at times! I have had itchy, burning skin sensations, general malaise ( as though I have the beginnings of flu) and pain, soreness and tension in ribs, shoulder, neck (another long term condition). Recently though, decreased appetite, occasional inability to accomplish satisying deep breath and lack of enthusiasm. Had a blood test done on 23 Oct (1st test in 7 yrs) after plucking up courage to visit Drs. (not a regular attender at all!) Rang for the results and was told they were normal, so did not return, until last Friday after feeling so ill last week, and sobbing my way through a carol service. Convinced through googling and some prior knowledge that I could be suffering lymphoma (Dad died of NHL back in 1986). Waited to see the GP I felt would be most honest, direct and tell it how it is without unduly sending me for a barrage of tests that I neither need nor want. This GP saw me when I accompanied my husband earlier in the year and knew how anxious I had been over tests my husband had had...(thankfully turned out to be hypothyroidism). Indeed the Dr was very interested and attentive, listening carefully to my fears, though it was obvious that I was overwhelmingly anxious. At my request he felt for an enlarged spleen, and assured me it was Ok, listened to my chest and then referred to my blood results from Oct. He told me they were all normal, but that my lymphocyte count was just outside the minimum range, think it was 1.3 or 1.4, but I didn't pay much attention to this as I was so elated that he thought I was fine. He told me to return in a few weeks if I was still worried, and asked what would reassure me. He mentioned a possible referral to a haematologist, a scan and a plasma viscosity test, but I got the impression he was only listing these as options I may wish to take up...didn't feel that he felt he needed to send me. So, I left the office in high spirits reassured, until I googled low lymphocyte count and came across connections to lymphoma etc....! I'm trying desparately to allay my fears by searching for proof that low lymphocyte counts can also be linked to stress and anxiety....as I am constantly under stress and worry (often self induced) and I am often fearful! Surely, if there had been concern over the results in Oct... I would have been called back? Even the itching , which was the one which was really worrying me as a definitive symptom, did not seem to overly concern the Dr. who is a senior partner in the practice and has experience of working within palliative care and oncology. Does anyone have any knowledge or insight on the low lymphocyte count which is causing me great anxiety now...?:unsure:

nickieb
14-12-08, 16:03
Unless you are symptomatic of high fever, no energy etc i would take your GP's word & not worry. However if this was me i would make an appointment to see him & repeat your FBC...this will just put your mind at rest xx

JMR
14-12-08, 16:49
Hi Nickieb

Thanks so much for your prompt reply. I am feeling much better physically the past couple of days and hope that maybe last week I was just suffering from a 'bug' or virus. I ate yesterday and I am not nauseous around food, as I was last week. I went to the Drs initially in Oct as I had been feeling excessively tired and lethargic, but then felt much improved until last week..when at the insistence of my friends I visited the Dr. Wish I had just waited now, as I was ignorant of my lymphocyte count and happily believed all was 'normal' from Oct. As a nurse, do you know if vitamin deficiency, stress, and such can deplete lymphocytes...and is my count much outside the normal parameter? I do appreciate the time you have taken to read and answer my post. Do you think I can safely not return or delay for a while the FBC? Also, could the fact that I hadn't eaten for a while when the last test was taken, linked to the fact that I was incredibly nervous about the procedure and outcome have adversely affected the results? I really am reluctant for the GP to set the ball rolling for further tests... for many reasons...increasing my anxiety, wasting precious NHS budget resources, and ending up further and further in a cycle of tests...particularly fearful of bone marrow biopsy...etc.Am I racing ahead? Is it all anxiety?
Warm wishes... J.X

nickieb
14-12-08, 17:26
Hiya J

OK so an abnormal low lymphocyte count can be caused by such things as anemia, infection & some neuro diseases for example MS. The normal range is 1.3-4 for women so i really would not worry about that result if i was you as its normal. It is nit anxiety however the stress you are encountering now is anxiety.
Please dont worry about the result it is normal xxx

JMR
14-12-08, 17:36
Thanks Nickieb

You've made me feel so much better...I am NOT going to Google anymore...at least not today or for as long as I can help it! You've made me relax more about enjoying Christmas, and I know I must work hard to alleviate the morbid thoughts I have almost constantly lately about mortality etc. I know that I can be my own worst enemy at times and need to find ways to motivate myself and protect my self resilience.
Not going to over worry and have decided I WILL go out tomorrow to my friend's and ENJOY the evening, without dwelling on uncertainty.
THANK YOU!
Janie X :)