PDA

View Full Version : Hello - so glad I've found this place

jumpingbean
14-12-08, 21:52
Hello All,

I'm new and releived to have found this place.
My daughter was diagnosed with Generalised Anxiety Disorder when she was 12. She is now 18.
I am finding it very hard to support her properly and feel very inadequate a lot of the time.
I seem to get it wrong all the time, despite trying to be as kind and non-demanding as possible.
I feel like I just keep putting my feet in it with her repeatedly and am not helping her at all. Or not enough.

My own life is not very straightforward either and she is all too aware of that - it is clear to both of us that that fact in itself has been a copntributing factor in her GAD.

Anyway, Hello. Any advice? I've read about GAD but am very short on ideas about practical ways to help her.
She isn't working, finds it exceptionally difficult to leave the house, and sometimes her room.

Thanks for reading,

JB

bottleblond
14-12-08, 21:59
Hi JB

Welcome along to NMP :flowers:

It is becoming more and more common for people to suffer GAD from a much earlier age. I think alot of it is to do with society and peer preasure. Please don't think you are doing wrong with your daughter as i am sure that is not the case, the fact that you have came here shows how much you care.

You will get lots of support and advice here lass.

Lots of love
Lisa
xxx

:bighug1:

spaced
14-12-08, 22:03
:welcome: hi and welcome to NMP you will gets lots advice here and there are plenty of people to chat to. is your daughter a member if not maybe you could show her around the site and encourage her to join she might find it helps her:)

lorac
14-12-08, 22:06
Hi JB

Welcome to the site, glad you found it. I am sure you will get lots of support and advice on here.

Take care

Carol

marie1974
14-12-08, 22:21
hi jb and welcome to nmp, im sure u will find lots of advice and support here for u and your daughter and makes some friends to hugs xxxx

sunshine-lady
14-12-08, 22:30
Hi jb

:welcome: to NMP, I'm sure you will like it here as there is so much advice and support. Sounds like you are doing so much for your daughter.

Hope to see you in chat sometime :biggrin:

Cathy V
14-12-08, 22:46
Hello and welcome to nmp. You sound like a very caring mum, but don't be too hard on yourself. Having anxiety disorder is no picnic for your daughter but you are suffering too, and some of her problems can also be because of hormones don't forget, which most young people suffer with. Im not saying thats the whole problem but between the ages of 12 and late teens, its bound to play a part.

Keep posting and getting information though, you should find the support you need.

Best wishes
Cathy xxx :welcome: