PDA

View Full Version : St. John's Wort and Anxiety/Depression Medicines

Puye
16-12-08, 21:37
Does anyone here know of any unfortunate side effects between St. John's Wort and the common antidepressants?

Currently, I am taking Effexor (Venlafaxine) and find that St. John's Wort seems to also help at times. My doctor seemed to be unaware of even the side effects listed on the Medication Page of this website, so he seems unconcerned. But I would like to hear from other perspectives.

Thanks in advance.

HeatherMc
17-12-08, 16:40
Hello Luv

I would have a word with the doctor, I am almost certain that ST Johns wort does interact with the SRI medications like Citalopram, Fluoxetine etc. It states on the leaflets not to take both at the same time.

Cheers

Heather

rainwave
17-12-08, 17:20
Combining St. John's wort IE (Hypericum perforatum) with SSRIs or other pharmaceutical antidepressants should only be done under medical supervision since their effects are additive and it is possible that the combination could cause serotonin syndrome...Also Its best to take in morning...

Puye
17-12-08, 17:29
Thank you, HeatherMc.

As a result of your comments I have scoured the Effexor Webpage and discovered, in the Prescribing Information and Medication Guide, in small print that, St. John's Wort is listed under the Drug Interactions as a Serotoneric Drug that may cause Serotonin Syndrome when used with Effexor. :weep:

Because of my serious money situation, I was hoping to get by on a 37.5 mg daily dose of effexor.

I will have to beg, borrow,or steal the money needed to get a daily full 75 mg dose--without the St. John's Wort.

Unlike the European caution I am observing on this website, Americans seem to consider St. John's Wort as a harmless Herbal remedy like mint tea.---I am learning otherwise.

Thank you again.