PDA

View Full Version : Losec 20mg

angieb
27-06-05, 11:59
Hello All

Just started taking Losec 20mg today to sort out my tummy. Not one for taking drugs much so just wondered if anyone else takes or has taken this and what their experiences of it is/was?

Did it work? side effect if any that kind of thing?

Are there foods that should be avoided when on it?

One bit of good news - I have given up booze, have not had a drop since Thursday and I usually have a bottle of wine most evenings. Already feeling the benefits, slept like a log at teh weekend and lost 4lbs!!!!!

Take care and thanks in advance for any advice.

Angie

Meg
27-06-05, 13:37
Its good stuff..I'm glad you're on it, Angie

Are you still having the investigations soon ?

Not many common sideeffects either-

Many congrats on the booze - huge step.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

angieb
27-06-05, 14:03
Hiya Meg

Thank you - must say feel more awake today than I have for ages.

The doctor said that my gastritis is probably stress and booze induced, too much wine on a stressed gassy tum. She does not think it is ulcers or anything more scary at this stage as my tummy is not sore enough, it is mainly high abdomen, front and back of chest and throat lump and tightening.

Have to take Losec for 4 weeks then see if the symptoms return, if they do she will do a H Pylori (?) test and maybe a barium but she seems to think some stomach TLC will do the trick...let's hope so eh.

Bloop pressure was still silly - 184/100!!!!! Aparantly I am to aim for 140/80 for now. She does think I have white coat hypertension as would probably feel a bit rough with BP maintained at this all the time. I have to agree!!! So am going to the nurse for BP twice in teh next month then am having a home monitor if it still presents high.

I have to say though to anybody reading this and who drinks - in four days my resting pulse has come down to an easy 70 BPM!!!! And today was the first day I was able to sit in a doctor's surgery withough crying and without heart pals and with a real illness!!!!! Can't be just a coincidence I am sure.

One more question re Losec - how many days on it before an improvement starts to notice?

carlin
27-06-05, 14:20
Hi Angie,
Well done with the booze issue, you should be very proud of yourself as we are of you. As for the Losec, hubby has taken them for quite a while now and has never had any side effects what-so-ever, they settle the acid in his stomach, usually it starts working after a few doses, but like all meds. it takes different times for different people and conditions, stick with it, and you will be fine, take care and please keep in touch.

nomorepanic
27-06-05, 19:39
Angie

I take Losec for acid indigestion etc. It is wonderful - sorts me out after a day!!

The only side-effect I have is a bit of dizziness for the first 2 days of taking it but I think that could be cos of the blood pressure medication I am on cos I never used to get any side-effects atall whilst on it.

You don't need to avoid anything in particular but I think you shouldn't take Diazepam whilst on it - not sure if you have any of that or not.

Avoid all spicy foods as well and even things like onions aggrevated mine.

Well done on the booze - that will help a lot too.

Hope you feel better soon.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

angieb
27-06-05, 21:41
Thanks Nicola

Have felt a bit spaced since about 4pm and a little anxious for about an hour before I ate this evening. Also had a weird headache and very mild dizzyish feelings - nothing I can't handle[^]

I think probably my poor body adjusting to no booze, seriously reduced caffine and healthy food is more of what is going on!!!!

Must say though - tummy, chest and back does not feel as raw at it has been, fingers crossed eh.

Get this one out of the way then on to tackle the BP issues then hopefully on the home straights...I can but hope.

You guys are all great - thank you x

Meg
27-06-05, 23:03
Angie ,

It works with the first pill to cut down the amount of acid produced so it gives your poor tum a better environment in which to heal.

It has absolutely nothing to do with throat tightening .. An H pylori is just a breath test and if positive needs a simple erradication programme with common antibiotics , its just a tiny bacteria out of control which can start to errode your tummy lining.. no big deal.

Your BP will drop a bit as a result of no booze anyway .

Well done Angie .

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

angieb
01-07-05, 14:51
Hi guys

Quick update from me.

Losec seems to have kicked in, from yesterday lunchtime and all of today the constact dull pain in my chest and between my shoulders has all but gone!!!!

So it took just four days to start to feel a benefit [^]

Still off the booze, lost half a stone in a week [:O]

Thanks for all your advice.

Angie

Meg
02-07-05, 21:07
Good one Angie