PDA

View Full Version : Hi i'm new here

Drevo
17-12-08, 23:31
Hi All

Im 34 and have been suffering from what i believe to be panic attacks. Im a very busy professional person working 70+ hours a week and traveling all over the world as part of that job.

A particularly bad attack last night has lead to me posting here.

Went to bed around 1am and suddenly woke at 3 with a dead arm, fuzzy spaced out feeling in my head, pain across the top of my chest, clammy hands and a dry mouth. I really did feel like i was going to die, it all lasted around 15-20 miniutes. Thankfully my wife was there to help because if she wasn't i prob would have dialed for a ambulance. Ive been having simalar episodes on and off for the pat 3 years. Other symptoms include the feeling skipped heartbeats, feeling totally detached from reality, varied pain in my chest, palpertations.

Within the last year i had a full medical at great cost. All did come back perfectly normal. Which i was convinced it wouldnt. I have been in the emergancy room twice about 2 and 3 years ago. 1st time i was given ecg, lung xray as they tought i might have a blood clot (which i didnt) they also did a test which i dont no what it was called but i had to take some radio active liquid and they show your lungs on a screen with the bloody flowing etc. What they found with my blood test was that i had low bloody oxygen, they kept me in overnight and then redid blood tests and all was perfectly normal. ( Nurse who did the 2nd test did say that it might have ben a false reading on the 1st test as bloody was taken from an artery (if this is true i have no idea)

It might sound like im giving a life story here but i thought best to explain all and see what other people think.

Ive been back to my GP soooo many times and hes great at giving a diagnosis from his chair! Hes tried twice to get me on citalopram. the 1st time i stuck with it but really felt it was not doing any good even after taking it for a solid 3 months. i decided to stop taking it. than about a year ago i went back on it because he said it migh tbe best but i yet again didnt feel any effects so i stopped. Prob foolish...

Last nights attack was the worst its ever been and ive a appointment to see him again this time i want real help not just pills.

Ive still got a pain in my chest but i thing thats in my head.

Every slight twinge anywhere in my chest makes me worried.

Another thing is im now parionoid on checking my pulse... is this a symptom of a panic attack? i hate doing it but i cant help it. My heart seams to thud and beat really heavy at the slightest movement ie getting up of the sofa quickly. I can feel every beat .

I really dont know how to get rid of these problems and i just want to have a normal life back without the worry

Ive read alot of threads here and i feel like my symptoms are the same as some here.

Thanks for reading and if there is any advice you can give id really like to hear it

MollyBunn
18-12-08, 07:04
I can empathise with you here. I work from home and at one point was working for 18 hours a day and it nearly finished me off. I think thta is part of the anxiety though...work too hard becasue I do believe that before you crash into depression/anxiety etc you kind of exist on nervous energy/adrenaline.
I had chest painsmost of which stemmed from hyperventiltaing which you might find is what causes the dead arm thing and soem other symptoms. I got chest pains because of the tense way i was holding myself...you don't even realise that you are doing it..I clench my teeth until i realise I am doing it which, when I was at my worst was all the time.
The Claire Weekes book helped me no end and after 12 weeks on Citalopram and really great help from my CPN I am feeling really good now.
There is a light at the end of the tunnel!!

PUGLETMUM
18-12-08, 10:06
:) all what you are experiencing is part of anxiety - the worrying you are going to die, being convinced something is wrong even though you have had all tests possible to rule that out, and now the constant checking of your pulse - id suggest you dont change your life, but you add something to it - i dont think htere is anything wrong with working alot if you compensate elsewhere is your life - like r-e-l-a-x and unwind when you arent working - if you are constantly stressing about work and thinking about it even when you are not working then i think you need to learn ways to shut off, but i wouldnt let this ruin your career prospects and your life - it is anxiety and so long as you know it is then it cant affect you - accept it for what it is and carry on wiht your life - dont worry about it, nobody ever died from being anxious:winks:

pooh
18-12-08, 17:34
Hi there and welcome along to NMP

Pooh x

sunshine-lady
20-12-08, 16:08
Hi

:welcome: to NMP, I'm sure you will like it here as there is so much advice and support.

chat is fun too:biggrin:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/images/misc/progress.gif

Utility
20-12-08, 16:30
Hi

Classic anxiety symptoms (arm pains, shortness of breath, thumping heart, numbness, hot and cold feelings, tingling, fuzzy head and so on) and loads of people will be able to relate to what you describe. Have faith in what the doctors are telling you and try to not focus on health fears - it will have positive results time. Revisit your breathing and slow it down, distract your mind with something other than checking your pulse (I,ll bet when you were writing your post your symptoms went away because your mind was distracted). Your good days will begin to out number the bad

lorac
20-12-08, 17:08
Hi

Welcome to the site I am sure you will get some good advice and support on here from people who understand what you are going through.

Take care

Carol

Southern_Belle
20-12-08, 20:44
Hi Drevo,

Welcome to NMP. Many here will understand how you have been feeling and you will get support.

Take care,

Laura