PDA

View Full Version : The Panic returns

Drevo
17-12-08, 23:39
Hi ive just joined and posted this in the Intro section but though it would be better here. Sorry for the double post

Im 34 and have been suffering from what i believe to be panic attacks. Im a very busy professional person working 70+ hours a week and traveling all over the world as part of that job.

A particularly bad attack last night has lead to me posting here.

Went to bed around 1am and suddenly woke at 3 with a dead arm, fuzzy spaced out feeling in my head, pain across the top of my chest, clammy hands and a dry mouth. I really did feel like i was going to die, it all lasted around 15-20 miniutes. Thankfully my wife was there to help because if she wasn't i prob would have dialed for a ambulance. Ive been having simalar episodes on and off for the pat 3 years. Other symptoms include the feeling skipped heartbeats, feeling totally detached from reality, varied pain in my chest, palpertations.

Within the last year i had a full medical at great cost. All did come back perfectly normal. Which i was convinced it wouldnt. I have been in the emergancy room twice about 2 and 3 years ago. 1st time i was given ecg, lung xray as they tought i might have a blood clot (which i didnt) they also did a test which i dont no what it was called but i had to take some radio active liquid and they show your lungs on a screen with the bloody flowing etc. What they found with my blood test was that i had low bloody oxygen, they kept me in overnight and then redid blood tests and all was perfectly normal. ( Nurse who did the 2nd test did say that it might have ben a false reading on the 1st test as bloody was taken from an artery (if this is true i have no idea)

It might sound like im giving a life story here but i thought best to explain all and see what other people think.

Ive been back to my GP soooo many times and hes great at giving a diagnosis from his chair! Hes tried twice to get me on citalopram. the 1st time i stuck with it but really felt it was not doing any good even after taking it for a solid 3 months. i decided to stop taking it. than about a year ago i went back on it because he said it migh tbe best but i yet again didnt feel any effects so i stopped. Prob foolish...

Last nights attack was the worst its ever been and ive a appointment to see him again this time i want real help not just pills.

Ive still got a pain in my chest but i thing thats in my head.

Every slight twinge anywhere in my chest makes me worried.

Another thing is im now parionoid on checking my pulse... is this a symptom of a panic attack? i hate doing it but i cant help it. My heart seams to thud and beat really heavy at the slightest movement ie getting up of the sofa quickly. I can feel every beat .

I really dont know how to get rid of these problems and i just want to have a normal life back without the worry

Ive read alot of threads here and i feel like my symptoms are the same as some here.

Thanks for reading and if there is any advice you can give id really like to hear it

anna66
18-12-08, 13:53
Hi,
Im sorry you are feeling awul, but a lot of what you write I can totally sympathise with and have experienced. Our minds have a terrible control over us when we are suffering from anxiety and we can focus on every twinge, pain, and talk ourselves into the most horrible diseases and terminal conditions!
Have you read Claire Weekes book or downloaded the freebies from the site? They were the start of a turning point for me, and funnily enough as I write, I remember I haven't used them or over a week! Cool!
Talking to ONE particular person has helped too, let them rationalise for you and be your mentor for a while. Anxiety can be a selfish condition, but the more I talk, I understand, gain confidence in myself, and then slowly have made progress. That isn't saying I dont have my own low points still, cos I do, but each time it isn't so far to pull myself back up and carry on.
Hope this helps
xx

bel25
19-12-08, 00:48
I am/have experienced all the symptoms you described and although they aren't pleasant there are ways to control them. I used to constantly check my heart beat and although it doesn't necessarily mean you're going to get a panic attack it is part of anxiety. A technique i learnt for a thudding heart was to put your hands on your stomach, feel it rising up and down and keep concentrating on this, it should transfer your breathing. With regards to getting up bringing on a thudding heart, are you eating ok? Because that can bring on light-headedness and a thudding heart. I get the chest pains too and it is in your head, all part of anxiety but nothing to worry about. Unfortunately there's nothing you can do for that but tell yourself that it's anxiety. I still get these and although i still worry when it comes on, i try to think how many times it's happened before and nothing bad has occured so it doesn't develop into a panic attack- try to think positive. If you have time (70+ hours a week i suspect maybe not) but if you do get the chance, try going to the gym on a regular basis (without becoming obsessed by it) even if it's just once a week or something, it really does help. I'm not entirely sure why it helps but it keeps mine away. I've never taken tablets (despite constantly been offered them by the doctor) because i don't want to become dependant on them- would be afraid things would be worse if i went on them and came off them but if they can work for a short time solution. Do whatever works best for you.
You don't seem in a good place right now, i hope you get the help you need!
Hope this helps :)
xxx

Seebra
19-12-08, 21:41
OMG - so much of what you described are things I have gone through - the pulse thing? ME TOO! The thing about panic is that it never feels the same, even when you have the same symptoms. I don't know how to describe it.

My heart races and feels like it's coming out of my body, and then the same thing happens about a week later but feels different somehow.

I have been to the dr. so many times myself. I worry and worry and worry and worry (you get the point).

I am a smoker, so everytime I get a cold or pain in my chest, I think it's lung cancer.

I have had the skipping heart, the intense pain in my chest, the waking up unable to breathe with dead arms, I've even had the white explosion (falling off to sleep and waking up gasping from what seemed to be a bomb that went off in my head.

I wish I could offer more help and support, but I can only say I know what you're going through and I hope that brings some comfort at the very least.

Hi ive just joined and posted this in the Intro section but though it would be better here. Sorry for the double post

Im 34 and have been suffering from what i believe to be panic attacks. Im a very busy professional person working 70+ hours a week and traveling all over the world as part of that job.

A particularly bad attack last night has lead to me posting here.

Went to bed around 1am and suddenly woke at 3 with a dead arm, fuzzy spaced out feeling in my head, pain across the top of my chest, clammy hands and a dry mouth. I really did feel like i was going to die, it all lasted around 15-20 miniutes. Thankfully my wife was there to help because if she wasn't i prob would have dialed for a ambulance. Ive been having simalar episodes on and off for the pat 3 years. Other symptoms include the feeling skipped heartbeats, feeling totally detached from reality, varied pain in my chest, palpertations.

Within the last year i had a full medical at great cost. All did come back perfectly normal. Which i was convinced it wouldnt. I have been in the emergancy room twice about 2 and 3 years ago. 1st time i was given ecg, lung xray as they tought i might have a blood clot (which i didnt) they also did a test which i dont no what it was called but i had to take some radio active liquid and they show your lungs on a screen with the bloody flowing etc. What they found with my blood test was that i had low bloody oxygen, they kept me in overnight and then redid blood tests and all was perfectly normal. ( Nurse who did the 2nd test did say that it might have ben a false reading on the 1st test as bloody was taken from an artery (if this is true i have no idea)

It might sound like im giving a life story here but i thought best to explain all and see what other people think.

Ive been back to my GP soooo many times and hes great at giving a diagnosis from his chair! Hes tried twice to get me on citalopram. the 1st time i stuck with it but really felt it was not doing any good even after taking it for a solid 3 months. i decided to stop taking it. than about a year ago i went back on it because he said it migh tbe best but i yet again didnt feel any effects so i stopped. Prob foolish...

Last nights attack was the worst its ever been and ive a appointment to see him again this time i want real help not just pills.

Ive still got a pain in my chest but i thing thats in my head.

Every slight twinge anywhere in my chest makes me worried.

Another thing is im now parionoid on checking my pulse... is this a symptom of a panic attack? i hate doing it but i cant help it. My heart seams to thud and beat really heavy at the slightest movement ie getting up of the sofa quickly. I can feel every beat .

I really dont know how to get rid of these problems and i just want to have a normal life back without the worry

Ive read alot of threads here and i feel like my symptoms are the same as some here.

Thanks for reading and if there is any advice you can give id really like to hear it

Drevo
07-05-13, 11:37
Well after 5 years of having these things on and off there really back.

Ive been having the worst 2 weeks.

my heart skips beats all the time, i get thuds in my chest. i feel dizzy and spaced out, flushed, i have a nearly constant feeling of my heart rate, ive various pains in my chest again also

I have been through a lot in the last 5 years and really had no desire to have these feelings come back .

Ive tried everything. adjusting my lifestyle, diet, gave up drinking, moved away from where i was living.

Ive also tried to get to see my GP for 3 weeks now. every time i call they are fully booked.

In all honesty i dont know what to do. this is becoming a real issue and its constantly on my mine even when im distracted.

I know that all of the tests ive had done over the years have been negative, it just doesnt help.

i feel like im loosing my mind now