PDA

View Full Version : Monophobia as part of agoraphobia

panicradio
18-12-08, 07:07
One of my major issues is monophobia. I am afraid of being alone. For a while today it seemed like I was going to face about a 4 hour period tomorrow during which I would be alone in my house. I was totally freaked out by the idea and got quite anxious about it. Turns out that won't be the case, but it did make me think about it.

I'm making progress with regard to the agoraphobia side of things - going out and driving around alone - and my confidence is building. I'm wondering if anyone else found that monophobia was "fixed" once you overcame serious anxiety and agoraphobia issues. My gut tells me that it will get better as I get more comfortable being out.

PUGLETMUM
18-12-08, 09:59
:) hi, no it isnt 'fixed' - it is part of agoraphobia, you know the dependancy side of it - some ppl can only go out with other ppl as part of their agoraphobia and this can at times extend to being alone - if you have become afraid of panicking then it is obvious that you will be afraid to panic alone in case something terrible happens or it wont stop? its all just part of the same thing - this time last year i was struggling with being alone and now im not, so in my opinion although it can get worse before it gets better - if you expose yourself to it then eventually yuo do learn to cope and overcome it - the same goes for the agoraphobia - at first the anxiety and panic do get much much worse as you expose yourself, but if you give yourself time and alot of care you will recover:yesyes:

belle
18-12-08, 10:47
I was really very monophobic as part of my agoraphobia. I couldn't be alone for even a matter of minutes without having major panic attacks. Now i am alone, all day, everyday and i love it! I'm not saying i don't from time to time get anxious, but considering the amount of time i spend alone, it's really nothing in comparision, in fact, i enjoy being alone now :)

How did i get over it? 2002, i split from my husband, up until that point i'd NEVER been alone (not since my panic/ag started in 1998). My ex moved out Christmas Day, so i had no choice but to deal with it. I hated it, i spent so much time on edge, but gradually it got better...

I'm not good at giving advice because i still struggle so much with my own problems (almost housebound with ag)..but, i can share my story :)

x

(I've just realised who i am responding to!!!! I'm so stupid. See for me, i can't go out, but yet i can be alone, so i don't really know how to answer you. I think EVERYONE is different. Phobias effect people in different ways. You've achieved so much lately...i'm sure in no time, being alone will be a piece of cake too!!!)

Alabasterlyn
18-12-08, 13:16
When my agoraphobia was very bad I would feel much more anxious when I was on my own, however as my then husband had to go out to work there wasn't really anything I could do. However I would be reassured by the fact that once he was at work I would be able to phone him if I needed him for any reason. I would always panic when he was in the car going to and from work as in those days there were no mobile phones so I felt totally isolated as I couldn't get in contact with him.

Just like belle, my husband left me and I found myself in a situation where I had to get used to being alone all the time. I had no choice but to just get used to it and now find I actually enjoy time on my own.

I rarely contact my OH when he is at work so I have no idea if he's at the office or out and about somewhere and it never worries me either. So yes it does go :)

panicradio
18-12-08, 14:11
Thanks for the feedback, ladies. It does help.

And Belle - who is sillier, you or me? LOL It took me a few minutes to realize who had responded to me (your signature gave it away finally), just like it took you a few minutes to realize who you were responding too. Yes, we are all different. I might be progressing well with the agoraphobic stuff lately, but the strength you have in dealing with your issues while being alone staggers me. I could not imagine doing what you're doing. You're light years ahead of me on that front and hearing your story is comforting to me.